MIME for global hypertext

Arnold Bloemer

Jun 14, 1992, 5:16:35 PM6/14/92
In article 12...@cbnewsj.cb.att.com, d...@cbnewsj.cb.att.com (dennis.r.vogel) writes:
>From article <1992Jun10.0...@kum.kaist.ac.kr>, by jj...@kum.kaist.ac.kr (Jungju Kim (CSDept)):
>>
>> Anyway, could somebody out there kindly send me the list of documents
>> describing WWW & gopher ?
>>
>Please post the list to this newsgroup. There are other folks
>who are interested in this topic.
>
>Dennis R. Vogel
>AT&T Bell Laboratories
>Middletown, NJ

The best document on World Wide Web and Gopher is the hypertext book on World Wide Web
available via info.cern.ch. The World Wide Web project was started at CERN in 1989
by Tim Berners-Lee. WWW or W3 are synonyms for World Wide Web.
Try telnet info.cern.ch. or telnet 128.141.201.74. That gives you acces to the www
line-mode browser of World Wide Web. After that I am sure you want to install some of
the World Wide Web stuff, at least the www client, on your local machine. All is
available via ftp info.cern.ch. There are also a couple of other browser and editor
clients for World Wide Web for different machine architectures.

If you run X11, try ViolaWWW, the X11 browser for World Wide Web based on Viola.
It gives you the right feeling of what World Wide Web really is, the whole world of different information systems becomes just one huge hypertext book in which you can
jump across the world with a few mouse clicks.

The author of Viola (a X11 toolkit) and ViolaWWW (an application written in Viola)
is Pei Y. Wei from xcf.berkeley.edu. There are still some bugs in violaWWW, so the
terminal-mode browser www should be the reference in what works and what not with
World Wide Web. But ViolaWWW is already a really nice hypertext browser with a lot
of features, and Pei is hard working on further improving it. It is planned to become
not only a browser but an editor for the World Wide Web hypertext pages.

When you got logged in to info.cern.ch via telnet try the following Hyperlinks:

World-Wide Web [2] -> Return (for the next screen) -> Data sources [24]

From there you can make a journey across all kinds of world wide information nets.
The following is a dump of the hypertext page 'Data Sources' ( the numbers in square
brackets designate the hyperlinks):

DATA SOURCES CLASSIFIED BY ACCESS PROTOCOL

Separate categorizations exist by subject[1] and by organization[2] .

World-Wide Web See the list of W3 servers[3] . See also: about the
WWW initiative[4] , and the HTTP protocol[5] .

WAIS Find WAIS index servers using the directory of
servers[6] . See also: about WAIS[7] , news archive[8]
, about the WWW-WAIS gateway[9] .

Network News[10] Now available directly in all www browsers.

Gopher Campus-wide information systems, etc. See list of
sites[11] , about Gopher[12] , news archive[13] .

Telnet access See list by Scott Yanoff[14] , Art St George's
index[15] (yet to be hyperized) etc.

VAX/VMS HELP[16] Available using the help gateway[17] to WWW.

Anonymous FTP See the ARCHIE[18] -- An index of almost everything
available by anonymous FTP.

For example of an FTP site, see the uu.net[19] server.

Other protocols Other forms of online data[20] .

Tim BL[21]

As you can see there is also a gateway to the gopher systems. To reach Grandpa Gopher
at the University of Minnesota proceed with the following from the point above:

Gopher ... list of sites [11] -> North America [4] -> Return -> Return ->
University of Minnesota gopher server [51] -> Information about Gopher [1]

Good Luck on your world trip,

Arnold

---
Dipl.-Ing. Arnold Bloemer Universitaet Hannover
Institut fuer Theoretische Nachrichtentechnik
und Informationsverarbeitung
blo...@tnt.uni-hannover.dbp.de Appelstrasse 9A
fax: +49-511-762-5333 D-3000 Hannover 1
phone: +49-511-762-5320 Germany