Status of Mosaic for Windows?

Bill Wilson

Nov 5, 1993, 11:25:50 AM11/5/93
I have noticed a lot of activity for Mosaic for the Mac. I was interested in
knowing the progress for Mosaic for Windows?

| Bill Wilson |
| Technology Coordinator |
| University of Nebraska at Omaha |
| College of Education |
| |
| Phone: (402) 554-3483 |
| Fax: (402) 554-2879 |
| |
| Email: bi...@coe.unomaha.edu |

SEM PHAN

Nov 6, 1993, 7:43:19 PM11/6/93
In article <billw.26...@coe.unomaha.edu>, bi...@coe.unomaha.edu (Bill Wilson) says:

>I have noticed a lot of activity for Mosaic for the Mac. I was interested in
>knowing the progress for Mosaic for Windows?

Wmosaic is in its 0.7 beta version from the ncsa ftp site. Another program is
called Cello, and it's now in its release 8. Find it at fatty.law.cornell.edu in
the LII subdirectory.

Mark Gunning

Nov 16, 1993, 2:24:51 PM11/16/93
In article <billw.26...@coe.unomaha.edu> bi...@coe.unomaha.edu (Bill Wilson) writes:
>From: bi...@coe.unomaha.edu (Bill Wilson)
>Subject: Status of Mosaic for Windows?
>Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1993 16:25:50 GMT

>I have noticed a lot of activity for Mosaic for the Mac. I was interested in
>knowing the progress for Mosaic for Windows?

I've been using a copy of Mosaic for windows for a few days now. It is good.
Version 1.0 was released sometime around the 10th november. MUCH better than
the betas.
Mark

Jonathan B. Marder

Nov 16, 1993, 11:53:39 AM11/16/93
In article <jmg.3.0...@design.canberra.edu.au> j...@design.canberra.edu.au (Mark Gunning) writes:
[...]

>I've been using a copy of Mosaic for windows for a few days now. It is good.
>Version 1.0 was released sometime around the 10th november. MUCH better than
>the betas.
>Mark

I don't want to start a mudslinging contest between the authors of the two
very impressive WWW browsers for MS-Windows, but having followed both
programs up to the latest releases, I find Cello much more stable and
much faster too. I'd be interested in what others think - is my
preference a consequence of my particular PC configuration?

BTW I think that the developers (of both systems) greatly deserve our thanks
and admiration for their impressive and largely successful efforts. I hope
that some healthy competition leads to cross-fertilisation for the benefit of
all.
__
Jonathan B. Marder '
Department of Agricultural Botany | Internet: MAR...@AGRI.HUJI.AC.IL
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem | /\/ Bitnet: MARDER@HUJIAGRI
Faculty of Agriculture |/ \ Phone: (08 or +9728) 481918
P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL / Fax: (08 or +9728) 467763

Alfred I. Anderson

Nov 16, 1993, 6:09:31 PM11/16/93

>I don't want to start a mudslinging contest between the authors of the two
>very impressive WWW browsers for MS-Windows, but having followed both
>programs up to the latest releases, I find Cello much more stable and
>much faster too. I'd be interested in what others think - is my
>preference a consequence of my particular PC configuration?

>BTW I think that the developers (of both systems) greatly deserve our thanks
>and admiration for their impressive and largely successful efforts. I hope
>that some healthy competition leads to cross-fertilisation for the benefit of
>all.
>__
>Jonathan B. Marder '

I like, and use, both Cello and PCMosaic. Both have advantages and
disadvantages. I agree, both authors deserve a hearty THANK YOU as either
of these two programs are really well done.

I, too, find Cello faster. However, I'm running on a 16MHz 386 with 6 Meg.
PCMosaic suggests a 486 with 8Meg so who am I to complain. Cello seems to
give better response time, though, on my particular system.

I've found the display a bit more pleasing with PCMosaic. The steel
background, colored hypertext links, better display of in-line graphics are
examples where PCMosaic might have an edge.

Cello makes it very easy to remember interesting places to visit. Its
bookmark feature is excellent. I especially like Cello's ability to
immediately bring a display up in the Notepad as a text document - complete
with links. It makes it very easy to customize your home page. PCMosaic,
OTOH, makes you edit an .INI file to alter your menus. Powerful, but not as
quick to do.

I think PCMosaic works a bit better with some of the graphical HTM out on
the Web. For example, the EXPO display (have to check the Whats New page)
works well under PCMosaic.

Right now, I don't think there is a clear winner. I still use both -
depending upon what I want to do. Since Cello is faster, I probably use
that a bit more given I have an antiquated system!

Alfred
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Alfred Anderson Internet: ande...@Mayo.edu
Mayo Foundation - Rochester MN 55905

Will Sadler

Nov 17, 1993, 9:07:27 AM11/17/93
In <MARDER.71...@agri.huji.ac.il> MAR...@agri.huji.ac.il (Jonathan B. Marder) writes:

>In article <jmg.3.0...@design.canberra.edu.au> j...@design.canberra.edu.au (Mark Gunning) writes:
>[...]
>>I've been using a copy of Mosaic for windows for a few days now. It is good.
>>Version 1.0 was released sometime around the 10th november. MUCH better than
>>the betas.
>>Mark

>I don't want to start a mudslinging contest between the authors of the two
>very impressive WWW browsers for MS-Windows, but having followed both
>programs up to the latest releases, I find Cello much more stable and
>much faster too. I'd be interested in what others think - is my
>preference a consequence of my particular PC configuration?

I'm not sure that these two products are competing with one another at all.
What do you get if you win? More ftp hits on your already overloaded server,
more questions from people who can't get it to run on their PCVegamatic
with Windows, endless complaints because it won't do [fill in blank],
and hours of fun-filled programming in MSWindows which keeps you from
having to do silly stuff like sleep :-)

And look at all the money you get for distributing it...

>BTW I think that the developers (of both systems) greatly deserve our thanks
>and admiration for their impressive and largely successful efforts. I hope
>that some healthy competition leads to cross-fertilisation for the benefit of
>all.
>__

I couldn't agree more. WWW is the best tool I have seen for any number
of projects I have wanted to do for a long time. Having a Windows
client is an absolute necessity if WWW is going to take off in a big way.
Now we just need a DOS client.

Will
* _______________\|/_ Will Sadler wi...@polecat.law.indiana.edu *
* Laser 151008 /|\ sad...@indiana.edu *

Thomas R.Bruce

Nov 17, 1993, 2:07:42 AM11/17/93
In article <MARDER.71...@agri.huji.ac.il> MAR...@agri.huji.ac.il (Jonathan B. Marder) writes:
>Subject: WinMosaic vs. Cello
>From: MAR...@agri.huji.ac.il (Jonathan B. Marder)
>Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 16:53:39

Jonathan Marder sez:

>I don't want to start a mudslinging contest between the authors of the two

>very impressive WWW browsers for MS-Windows...

I agree. What about mud wrestling instead?

To that end, we've rented the Nassau Coliseum for the entire month of
December. Mittlehauser and Wilson will square off against Bruce in what has
already been hailed as "the Net developers' tag-team event of the decade".
Mittlehauser and Wilson have the edge in size and reach, but Bruce is older
and more treacherous. Andreesen and Bina have agreed to act as seconds for
Mittlehauser and Wilson. They'll be taking on the entire Litigation
Department of the San Francisco law firm Dechert, Price & Rhoades. Dave
Raggett will be referee, and O'Reilly and Associates will manage the
concessions. The event is promoted by Don King and the National Science
Foundation....

No one admitted without a scalable authorization scheme.

Feeling silly,
Tb.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
| Thomas R. Bruce 607-255-1221 |
| Research Associate FAX: 607-255-7193 |
| Cornell Law School |
| 481 Myron Taylor Hall t...@law.mail.cornell.edu |
| Ithaca, NY 14853 |
| |
| "Language -- it's a shipwreck, it's a job." |
| --Laurie Anderson |
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Christopher Arnold

Nov 18, 1993, 7:59:11 AM11/18/93
>In article <billw.26...@coe.unomaha.edu> bi...@coe.unomaha.edu (Bill Wilson) writes:
>>From: bi...@coe.unomaha.edu (Bill Wilson)
>>Subject: Status of Mosaic for Windows?
>>Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1993 16:25:50 GMT
>

>I've been using a copy of Mosaic for windows for a few days now. It is good.
>Version 1.0 was released sometime around the 10th november. MUCH better than
I have been trying wmosaic 1.0 and i'm wondering if anyone else is having
problems running with pc/tcp's tcpip kernel?

I quite often run into a lot of crashes, wich one of my customers (running
pcnfs) dosn't run into.

/chris

--
Christopher Arnold (SM6PVL) ! ch...@geo.chalmers.se
Chalmers University of Technology ! d8a...@dtek.chalmers.se

Bob Jernigan

Nov 18, 1993, 12:07:07 PM11/18/93
In article <CGou...@news.chalmers.se>, d8a...@dtek.chalmers.se (Christopher Arnold) writes:
|> In article <jmg.3.0...@design.canberra.edu.au> j...@design.canberra.edu.au (Mark Gunning) writes:
|> >In article <billw.26...@coe.unomaha.edu> bi...@coe.unomaha.edu (Bill Wilson) writes:
|> >
|> >I've been using a copy of Mosaic for windows for a few days now. It is good.
|> >Version 1.0 was released sometime around the 10th november. MUCH better than
|> I have been trying wmosaic 1.0 and i'm wondering if anyone else is having
|> problems running with pc/tcp's tcpip kernel?
|>
|> I quite often run into a lot of crashes, wich one of my customers (running
|> pcnfs) dosn't run into.

I've been running Windows Mosaic for a few day now and think that it's
a great product. (I'm using the pc/tcp tcp/ip kernal.)

But I have run into a few problems:

1. It's sometime hard to distinguish a local hangup from a network
traffic delay.

2. Haven't been able to turn on Save and Print.

3. System sometimes locks when I abort a transfer (click Icon).

bob jernigan

Roland Bauer

Nov 18, 1993, 7:38:12 PM11/18/93
*) I would like to get rid of the OK at the beginning of Cello
*) normally Cello is much more stable than Mosaic
*) if I use the URL <file:///d:/test.htm> Cello says "FTP failed to open" but
Mosaic does it well (I think this worked - at the beginning - even
in Cello); if I try <test.htm> it works with both systems
*) there is no help with Mosaic
*) Mosaic is more beautyful and has buttons but not the feature to edit
the source

Roland