Here it is, world!

Marc Andreessen

Oct 13, 1994, 3:57:12 AM10/13/94
Mosaic Communications Corporation is a making a public version of Mosaic
Netscape 0.9 Beta available for anonymous FTP. Mosaic Netscape is a
built-from-scratch Internet navigator featuring performance optimized for
14.4 modems, native JPEG support, and more.

You can FTP Mosaic Netscape 0.9 Beta from the following locations:

ftp.mcom.com in /netscape
gatekeeper.dec.com in /pub/net/infosys/Mosaic-Comm
lark.cc.ukans.edu in /Netscape
ftp.meer.net in /Netscape
doc.ic.ac.uk in /packages/Netscape
archie.au in /pub/misc/netscape
ftp.cica.indiana.edu in /pub/pc/win3/winsock/nscape09.zip (PC only)
mac.archive.umich.edu in /mac (Mac only)

Please make sure to read the README and LICENSE files.

An up-to-date listing of mirror sites can be obtained at any time
by sending email to rel...@mcom.com.

Subject to the timing and results of this beta cycle, Mosaic Communications
will release Mosaic Netscape 1.0, also available free for personal use
via the Internet. It will be subject to license terms; please review them
when and if you obtain Mosaic Netscape 1.0.

A commercial version of Mosaic Netscape 1.0, including technical support
from Mosaic Communications, will be available upon completion of the
beta cycle. Contact us at in...@mcom.com for more information.

Have fun!

Marc and the gang
in...@mcom.com, http://mosaic.mcom.com/

Richard J. Sexton

Oct 13, 1994, 3:22:47 PM10/13/94
> Mosaic Communications Corporation is a making a public version of Mosaic
> Netscape 0.9 Beta available for anonymous FTP. Mosaic Netscape is a
> built-from-scratch Internet navigator featuring performance optimized for
> 14.4 modems, native JPEG support, and more.

As blown away as you may have been by seeing the original Mosaic
for the first time, Netscape is even more impressive.

Besides being faster, easier to use and more rubust than Mosaic,
it elegantly handles news and mail.

It's terribly, terrible impressive.

David Carmean

Oct 14, 1994, 12:23:20 PM10/14/94
Looks great so far! (Windows version.)

- Transparent GIFs are nice!
- Delayed inline-image loading a-la MacMosaic.
- Scrollbars on TextAreas
- Copy to clipboard from text.
- Multiple windows a-la XMosaic.
- THREADED news!

- AND...I'm POSTING this from Netscape!

Cool!

One suggestion: How about ALT text when in-line image display
turned off?

Thanks guys.

David Carmean
car...@rain.org

David Geller

Oct 14, 1994, 5:40:25 PM10/14/94

I'd have to agree. Very very nice job. I'd suggest, though, a rework
of the bookmark editor. Seems kinda strange. Also, a Kiosk mode
would be ideal! Can't find any other faults with it yet. Impressive
piece of work. I feel sorry for the likes of Spry and its
competitors.

David Geller

Daniel A. Hartung

Oct 15, 1994, 12:48:11 AM10/15/94
David Geller <dav...@halcyon.com> wrote:

>> It's terribly, terrible impressive.
>
>I'd have to agree. Very very nice job. I'd suggest, though, a rework
>of the bookmark editor. Seems kinda strange. Also, a Kiosk mode
>would be ideal! Can't find any other faults with it yet. Impressive
>piece of work. I feel sorry for the likes of Spry and its
>competitors.

I like it more as I go along -- but agree with you, the bookmark
editor is not 100% yet. The other thing it lacks are printing
(sure expected it) and the lack of a button for the history or
hotlist. Lots space on that ruler bar, guys!

I have to say I *love* the logo, especially when spinning away ...
Very nice 90s design.

--
Daniel A. Hartung | Democracy:
Birch Grove Software |
| It's a great software package, but the
dhar...@chinet.chinet.com | installation program is a real bitch.

Brian Knight

Oct 14, 1994, 6:19:12 PM10/14/94
>> > Mosaic Communications Corporation is a making a public version of Mosaic
>> > Netscape 0.9 Beta available for anonymous FTP. Mosaic Netscape is a
>> > built-from-scratch Internet navigator featuring performance optimized for
>> > 14.4 modems, native JPEG support, and more.
>>
>> As blown away as you may have been by seeing the original Mosaic
>> for the first time, Netscape is even more impressive.

Sorry, I missed the FTP site that has this browser. Could someone please post
the site? Thanks!

Sell-it on the WWW! Selling various items ranging
from computer hardware/software to baseball cards to
gourmet coffee to publications. Use your favorite WWW
browser to go to: http://xmission.com/~wwwads/

ANTONIO M.L. INACIO

Oct 15, 1994, 12:47:30 AM10/15/94
Please inform where I can find it?

Thanks

Michael L. Tefft

Oct 15, 1994, 5:14:09 PM10/15/94
>Looks great so far! (Windows version.)

>- Transparent GIFs are nice!
>- Delayed inline-image loading a-la MacMosaic.
>- Scrollbars on TextAreas
>- Copy to clipboard from text.
>- Multiple windows a-la XMosaic.
>- THREADED news!

>- AND...I'm POSTING this from Netscape!

>Cool!

Is it just me or does Netscape miss one critical ingredient. How can you print
anything from it ? It is better than all the other web browsers I have tried,
but without the capability to print anything, it is worthless.

Michael L. Tefft Be bold in what you stand for,
te...@cs.odu.edu and careful what you fall for.
mlt...@infi.net R. Boorstin

Arnold Kling

Oct 15, 1994, 9:25:43 PM10/15/94
One thing I like about it is the way it points you to the better
directories and search engines on the Web. Very good for newbies as well
as veterans. However, without the TCP/IP plumbing, how is it going to
broaden the market? Are you just going to sit back and wait for Windows
95? Or let Netcruiser clean up? Anyone going to come out with
Netscape-in-a-box?

Marc Andreessen (ma...@mcom.com) wrote:
: Mosaic Communications Corporation is a making a public version of Mosaic

: Netscape 0.9 Beta available for anonymous FTP. Mosaic Netscape is a
: built-from-scratch Internet navigator featuring performance optimized for
: 14.4 modems, native JPEG support, and more.

: Marc and the gang
: in...@mcom.com, http://mosaic.mcom.com/

--
Arnold Kling
http://www.homefair.com/
(301) 754-0730 (w) (301) 649-4378 (h)

Kartik Subbarao

Oct 15, 1994, 11:33:39 PM10/15/94
In article <37pven$p...@clarknet.clark.net>,

Arnold Kling <arno...@clark.net> wrote:
>One thing I like about it is the way it points you to the better
>directories and search engines on the Web. Very good for newbies as well
>as veterans. However, without the TCP/IP plumbing, how is it going to
>broaden the market? Are you just going to sit back and wait for Windows
>95? Or let Netcruiser clean up? Anyone going to come out with
>Netscape-in-a-box?

It is stupid to implement TCP/IP in each application that wants to use it.
Why not WordPerfect in-a-box? Or Quicken in-a-box? These transport services are
best provided either by the operating system, or by a general purpose layer
usable by all applications.

-Kartik

Bill Henry

Oct 16, 1994, 11:31:41 AM10/16/94
In article <dknight.38...@powergrid.electriciti.com> dkn...@powergrid.electriciti.com (Brian Knight) writes:
>From: dkn...@powergrid.electriciti.com (Brian Knight)
>Subject: Re: Here it is, world!
>Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 22:19:12

>>> As blown away as you may have been by seeing the original Mosaic
>>> for the first time, Netscape is even more impressive.

>Sorry, I missed the FTP site that has this browser. Could someone please post
>the site? Thanks!

Try ftp.mcom.com look for nscape09.zip. Pretty easy to find, if I can find
it anyone can. :)

Bill

Jon Mittelhauser

Oct 16, 1994, 3:34:30 PM10/16/94
> >Looks great so far! (Windows version.)
>
> >- Transparent GIFs are nice!
> >- Delayed inline-image loading a-la MacMosaic.
> >- Scrollbars on TextAreas
> >- Copy to clipboard from text.
> >- Multiple windows a-la XMosaic.
> >- THREADED news!
>
> >- AND...I'm POSTING this from Netscape!
>
> >Cool!
>
> Is it just me or does Netscape miss one critical ingredient. How can you print
> anything from it ? It is better than all the other web browsers I have tried,
> but without the capability to print anything, it is worthless.

As stated in the help-on-version (and myself many many times), printing
will be added "real-soon-now". It didn't make it into beta 0.9
of the windows version but will be in 1.0...

-Jon

James Kew

Oct 16, 1994, 3:25:45 PM10/16/94
In article <MARCA.94O...@neon.mcom.com>
Marc Andreessen, ma...@mcom.com writes:

> [Netscape announcement -- check it out!]
> http://mosaic.mcom.com/

Now, am I just ignorant, or is the source to Mosaic Communication's home
page doing some rather naughty stuff? <li> items without any surrounding
list items... <h2></h2> surrounding other format tags... <h6></h6> used as
"legalese" small-print... aren't these (well, OK, the first two) bad html?

James Kew Zookeeper, cathouse.org British Comedy Pages.
Imperial College, London http://cathouse.org:8000/BritishComedy/

Paul Prescod

Oct 16, 1994, 4:24:20 PM10/16/94
In article <37q6uj$r...@tadpole.fc.hp.com>,

And yet, in the meantime, when it is not provided by the OS, perhaps it
makes sense that it should be provided.

Paul Prescod

Paul Kelly

Oct 16, 1994, 7:40:05 PM10/16/94
> >As stated in the help-on-version (and myself many many times), printing
> >will be added "real-soon-now". It didn't make it into beta 0.9
> >of the windows version but will be in 1.0...
>
> Yes, only in the one they will charge for! :)

MCom has already stated that v1.0 will also be free -- at least the
initial release --

plk...@slb.com

Brian Knight

Oct 16, 1994, 12:18:35 PM10/16/94
>> Is it just me or does Netscape miss one critical ingredient. How can you
print>> anything from it ? It is better than all the other web browsers I have
tried, >> but without the capability to print anything, it is worthless.

>As stated in the help-on-version (and myself many many times), printing
>will be added "real-soon-now". It didn't make it into beta 0.9
>of the windows version but will be in 1.0...

Yes, only in the one they will charge for! :)

Kartik Subbarao

Oct 16, 1994, 7:21:00 PM10/16/94
In article <Cxs8o...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>,

But by a *GENERAL PURPOSE* application layer, NOT reimplemented by each and
every tool.

-Kartik

Paul Cohen

Oct 16, 1994, 6:06:54 AM10/16/94
>>As stated in the help-on-version (and myself many many times), printing
>>will be added "real-soon-now". It didn't make it into beta 0.9
>>of the windows version but will be in 1.0...

>Yes, only in the one they will charge for! :)

Nope. They aren't gonna charge for 1.0 for personal use. They wanna sell
this baby to businesses.

________Paul Cohen_________...@netaxs.com________________________
Philadelphia, PA http://www.netaxs.com:8080/~pmcohen/

Solomon Behar

Oct 17, 1994, 12:35:14 AM10/17/94

Will Netscape accept a ppp connection?

Sol

Ben Pashkoff

Oct 17, 1994, 4:22:55 AM10/17/94

>>As stated in the help-on-version (and myself many many times), printing
>>will be added "real-soon-now". It didn't make it into beta 0.9
>>of the windows version but will be in 1.0...

>Yes, only in the one they will charge for! :)

no, do read the release notes. there will be two version 1.0's one for free,
one for $upport.

Has anyone managed to either make the User menues work, or translate them to a
bookmark file? I can't get the perl script to download correctly.

David S. April

Oct 17, 1994, 10:01:58 AM10/17/94
In article <37pven$p...@clarknet.clark.net>, arno...@clark.net (Arnold
Kling) wrote:

> One thing I like about it is the way it points you to the better
> directories and search engines on the Web. Very good for newbies as well
> as veterans.

Yeah - but it would be nice to be able to customize these and the other
main buttons to point to your personal favorite search engines etc.
"What's New", for instance, is mirrored everywhere. I like to pick a
place other than MCOM's page to reduce traffic to that site....

Dave

--
David S. April Northwestern University
(708) 467-1903 Institute for the Learning Sciences

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much, better."
- Laurie Anderson

Mike Kelsey

Oct 17, 1994, 11:42:37 AM10/17/94
I have yanked this from the comp.infosystems.www.{providers,misc} groups, since
playing with a browser is purely a user issue, not a provider issue. I've also
changed Subject line since this is no longer the original topic.

In article <april-17109...@april.ils.nwu.edu>, ap...@ils.nwu.edu (David S. April) writes:
|> In article <37pven$p...@clarknet.clark.net>, arno...@clark.net (Arnold
|> Kling) wrote:
|>
|> > One thing I like about it is the way it points you to the better
|> > directories and search engines on the Web. Very good for newbies as well
|> > as veterans.
|>
|> Yeah - but it would be nice to be able to customize these and the other
|> main buttons to point to your personal favorite search engines etc.
|> "What's New", for instance, is mirrored everywhere. I like to pick a
|> place other than MCOM's page to reduce traffic to that site....

You can, although I cannot find it in Netscape's rather superficial
documentation, and these resources aren't listed in their Netscape.ad file.
Anyway, for running under X, each little bit of Netscape's menus is a resouce
that you can customize. For example, here is the default configuration of the
[What's New] button and Directory item:

In article <jefCxr...@netcom.com>, j...@netcom.com (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
>! whatsNew - item 2 in the Directory menu, item 2 in the Buttons bar.
>Netscape*whatsNewURL: http://home.mcom.com/home/whats-new.html
>Netscape*menuBar*whatsNew.labelString: What's New!
>Netscape*menuBar*whatsNew.mnemonic: N
>Netscape*urlBar*whatsNew.labelString: What's New!

Please see the original article in c.i.w.users, "Customizing X Netscape's
"Directory Buttons"," for full information.
Regards,
Mike Kelsey
--
[ My opinions are not endorsed by SLAC, Caltech, or the US government ]
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire

lvi...@cas.org

Oct 17, 1994, 12:26:21 PM10/17/94

Since I am unable to get it to start ( tells me it cannot open my display,
even though _other_ X apps have no problem ) I thought I would ask - is
Netscape able to process KILL files as a part of it's news reading? what
about text within <> ?
--
:s Great net resources sought...
:s Larry W. Virden INET: lvi...@cas.org

Brian Decker

Oct 17, 1994, 1:33:45 PM10/17/94
In article <mltefft.2...@infi.net>, mlt...@infi.net (Michael L. Tefft) writes:
> Is it just me or does Netscape miss one critical ingredient. How can you print
> anything from it ? It is better than all the other web browsers I have tried,
> but without the capability to print anything, it is worthless.

Gee... I found a "Print... Alt+P" item under the file menu, and it appears
to work just fine.... This is using the SunOS 4.1.X client of Beta 0.9.

--
-.---.----..-.---.----..-.---.----..-.---.----..-.---.----..-.- --- ----
Brian D. Decker E-Systems,Ashburn,VA,USA (+001) 703 729 6000 x3658

V-X

Oct 16, 1994, 11:10:31 PM10/16/94
In article <mltefft.2...@infi.net> mlt...@infi.net (Michael L. Tefft) writes:

>Is it just me or does Netscape miss one critical ingredient. How can you print
>anything from it ? It is better than all the other web browsers I have tried,
>but without the capability to print anything, it is worthless.

I just searched a local bookstore and printed the result from Netscape. Have
you tried "File-Print?"

Straight and narrow but still opposed to Measure 13.
===============================
Coming Soon: The World Wide Web Jack Chick Archive!
Send comments/contributions to v...@teleport.com or
dej...@athmail1.causeway.qub.ac.uk.

V-X

Oct 16, 1994, 11:12:54 PM10/16/94
In article <mltefft.2...@infi.net> mlt...@infi.net (Michael L. Tefft) writes:

>Is it just me or does Netscape miss one critical ingredient. How can you print
>anything from it ? It is better than all the other web browsers I have tried,
>but without the capability to print anything, it is worthless.

Whoops, I forgot--I saved the results as text and printed them from Notepad.
Oops--sorry. You're right, this is an incredibly lame thing to leave out...

Daniel Hartung

Oct 17, 1994, 4:25:23 PM10/17/94
Brian Decker <bde...@melpar.esys.com> wrote:
>mlt...@infi.net (Michael L. Tefft) writes:
>> Is it just me or does Netscape miss one critical ingredient. How can you print
>> anything from it ? It is better than all the other web browsers I have tried,
>> but without the capability to print anything, it is worthless.

I wouldn't go THAT far.

>Gee... I found a "Print... Alt+P" item under the file menu, and it appears
>to work just fine.... This is using the SunOS 4.1.X client of Beta 0.9.

But those of us with the Windows version are without.

--
Daniel A. Hartung | Support the new Arts/Humanities hierarchy!
dhar...@mcs.com | "I believe we can fly

Brian Knight

Oct 17, 1994, 11:50:03 AM10/17/94
>MCom has already stated that v1.0 will also be free -- at least the
>initial release --

You're correct. I missed that. Thanks for the info! It's nice they are
going to have that version made publicly available also. The graphics are
MUCH faster to come up, but did anyone else notice (in the Windows version at
least) that the graphics are a bit grainy?

Jon Mittelhauser

Oct 17, 1994, 7:33:36 PM10/17/94
> In article <mltefft.2...@infi.net> mlt...@infi.net (Michael L. Tefft) writes:
>

> >Is it just me or does Netscape miss one critical ingredient. How can you print
> >anything from it ? It is better than all the other web browsers I have tried,
> >but without the capability to print anything, it is worthless.
>
> Whoops, I forgot--I saved the results as text and printed them from Notepad.
> Oops--sorry. You're right, this is an incredibly lame thing to leave out...

Printing didn't make the 0.9 BETA version (as stated in the online
documentation). It will be in the 1.0 version....we aren't
"incredibly lame" just human and it didn't make the first public beta...

-Jon

Pieter van der Walt

Oct 20, 1994, 8:47:14 AM10/20/94
> Mosaic Communications Corporation is a making a public version of Mosaic
> Netscape 0.9 Beta available for anonymous FTP. Mosaic Netscape is a
> built-from-scratch Internet navigator featuring performance optimized for
> 14.4 modems, native JPEG support, and more.

> Marc and the gang
> in...@mcom.com, http://mosaic.mcom.com/

I must admit and agree with all the others..... very good job.
Everything and more I wanted in Mosaic. Still needs a print option
though.... but I'm sure it will evolve somehow....

Keep it up guys!!

Pieter

V-X

Oct 20, 1994, 10:55:23 AM10/20/94

> Printing didn't make the 0.9 BETA version (as stated in the online
> documentation). It will be in the 1.0 version....we aren't
> "incredibly lame" just human and it didn't make the first public beta...

I didn't call you lame, and your browser's the best I've seen yet for
Windows. The choice not to include printing was lame, though. It's as
if you'd left off the "Edit" menu or bookmarks didn't save.

Touchy, touchy...

V-X

Oct 19, 1994, 10:13:36 PM10/19/94

>Touchy, touchy...

I was chided by e-mail by one of the Web Gods at Teleport for being so
critical of NetScape, so apparently I needed to gush more in my praise.

Your browser is a beautiful thing, and an answer to prayer. I'm new to the
Web, and I've suffered through one stupid thing after another with every
browser I've used 'til now--NCSA Mos., Cello, and WinWeb. I fell in love with
Netscape the minute I opened it and could read the text on your home page
while the image was loading. I married it when I stopped a page in mid-load
and NOTHING EXPLODED. We had our first child after I tremulously tried using
forms and mail-to links and found they were supported. I love NetScape
Mosaic. I use it to read newsgroups as often as I do my "official" news
reader now. It is a delight, a dream, a trip through the infobahn on gossamer
wings. Every day I find something wonderful and new about it--the fact that
it recognizes URLs in posts...siiiighhhh...being able to turn graphics on
and off with a push of a button...bliss...

Although the above is idiotically flowery, it's not far from the truth. I
really do love your product, I look forward to the full product, I've deleted
every other reader from my drive, and if you keep making them like this you'll
have a customer for life.

No kidding.

(Dang, man--I didn't even start the stupid "no printing" thing--I got into it
because I jumped in and said "Yes it does have printing, I'm sure it does!"
and then realized I was wrong...)

You are going to produce a version specifically geared to the special needs of
African Americans, right?

Mark Wilkinson

Oct 20, 1994, 8:11:08 PM10/20/94

Has anyone else using NetScape under windows noticed
this peculiar little quirk?

When NetScape accesses a page with more than a couple of
in-line images only the first two or three appear... the rest
are never loaded, and come up as 'cutsie' symbols... I haven't
figured out any rhyme or reason for which inline images are
loaded, except that it starts at the first one and loads a 'few'
then stops.

Very quirky...

Mark

kasparek

Oct 21, 1994, 4:17:58 AM10/21/94
I can't locate the Mac version of Netscape. Does anyone know where I
can get it?

Gil Kasparek
kasp...@spy.org

Bennet George

Oct 21, 1994, 2:40:02 PM10/21/94

I have been experiencing something similar. Netscape for Windows will hang
after loading 839-843 bytes of any page from my server
(http://msuinfo.ur.msstate.edu/) even if it has no graphics. Apparently this only
happens to machines on my subnet; more remote users report no problems. I've
had no problems in this regard with the Mac version.

Bennet George (geo...@ur.msstate.edu)

Dick Tait

Oct 21, 1994, 9:21:09 PM10/21/94

Which platform/browser are you using?

What is the URL(s)?

Chris Houck

Oct 22, 1994, 5:55:05 PM10/22/94
> >> When NetScape accesses a page with more than a couple of
> >> in-line images only the first two or three appear... the rest
> >> are never loaded, and come up as 'cutsie' symbols... I haven't
> >> figured out any rhyme or reason for which inline images are
> >> loaded, except that it starts at the first one and loads a 'few'
> >> then stops.
>
> Netscape downloads images all at once instead of one at a time, which is nice,
> but if there are more images on a page than the max. number it can be
> recieving at one time, it just ignores the rest. There is an INI setting to
> change this, I think.

Actually, what seems to be causing most of these problems is
that the number of simultaneous connections Netscape thinks
its allowed to make is larger than the number the winsock is
configured to allow.

The best solution is to lower the number Netscape is allowed
(Network and Images pane of the Preferences box) or increase
the number of connections your winsock allows.

-Chris
cho...@mcom.com

Mark Wilkinson

Oct 24, 1994, 7:40:45 PM10/24/94

> Actually, what seems to be causing most of these problems is
> that the number of simultaneous connections Netscape thinks
> its allowed to make is larger than the number the winsock is
> configured to allow.
>
> The best solution is to lower the number Netscape is allowed
> (Network and Images pane of the Preferences box) or increase
> the number of connections your winsock allows.
>
> -Chris
> cho...@mcom.com

Hello all!

I solved the problem using a combination of the above suggestion and
my own idea.

Since I am running the server that I have trouble loading by NetScape
I changed the maximum number of connections that my server could
handle to a higher number. At the same time I reduced the max-number
in the NetScape .ini file, and everything is hunky dorey!

Great program!!

Mark
http://kh.botany.ubc.ca/markinfo.htm

Lynn R. Ziegler

Oct 26, 1994, 9:03:41 AM10/26/94
JBa...@ccmail.sunysb.edu (John Babina III), in his posting,
mentions setting parameters as follows:

> terminal flowcontrol hardware
> terminal databits 8
> terminal telnet-transparent

> -John

I am confused. I, too, have a unix box (an SGI Indy) and my box
has no such command as terminal. Where do you set these
parameters? Is it part of the tia setup?

Lynn Ziegler lzie...@csbsju.edu
http://bingen.cs.csbsju.edu/~lziegler