Is Adobe Utopia "free"?

Olof Olsson

Apr 12, 1993, 9:13:09 PM4/12/93
The Adobe Utopia typeface is included in the X11R4 distribution. It is quite easy to convert the ascii format provided to a Mac type 1 file and then match it up with the freely available bitmaps. voila! I have Utopia for the Mac for free!

Now my questions: is this legal from Adobes point of view? They donated it to the X consortium. Does this imply I can use it on other platforms (like the Mac)?

That's it--is this legal, or should I run out and buy Utopia? Somebody from Adobe might want to comment... (I am sure I am not the only one that has thought about doing this.)

Thanks,

Olof

---
Olof Olsson Machine Vision Team
E-mail: ol...@auck.irl.cri.nz Industrial Research Ltd
Phone: +64 9 303 4116, Fax: +64 9 307 0618 Auckland, New Zealand

Len Gilbert

Apr 12, 1993, 7:43:30 PM4/12/93
My guess is that somewhere in the X11R4 distribution files is a licensing
agreement. It may allow users of X11R4 to use the Adobe font for free but
prohibit distribution or modification. And even if you can USE it for
free, Adobe usually doesn't GIVE you the font. (not even if you buy
it--you are only licensing a copy for your USE on a single printing device)
Usually those license-things make it unlawful to use the item in an altered
form. I am not familiar with "X11R4" and I don't work for Adobe so this is
only speculation tempered with reading a fair amount of Electronic
Publishing materials and info.

Len Gilbert Internet: lgil...@blackbear.win.net
BlackBearBrownBear San Francisco, California
Typesetting, Writing, Design, & Computer Graphics

Tom Epperly

Apr 13, 1993, 11:18:17 AM4/13/93
Utopia can be found in the contrib section of the X11R5 distribution.
I have it on a DAT, so I will copy the notices from a Ghostscript
fontmap file. I have included the notices about Bitstream Charter,
IBM Courier, and Adobe Utopia all of which have been contributed to
the X11R5 distribution. The Ghostscript font distribution includes
all of them.

% Type 1 fonts contributed to the X11R5 distribution.
% These have UniqueIDs and file names of their own.
%

% The following notice accompanied the Charter fonts.
%
% (c) Copyright 1989-1992, Bitstream Inc., Cambridge, MA.
%
% You are hereby granted permission under all Bitstream propriety rights
% to use, copy, modify, sublicense, sell, and redistribute the 4 Bitstream
% Charter (r) Type 1 outline fonts and the 4 Courier Type 1 outline fonts
% for any purpose and without restriction; provided, that this notice is
% left intact on all copies of such fonts and that Bitstream's trademark
% is acknowledged as shown below on all unmodified copies of the 4 Charter
% Type 1 fonts.
%
% BITSTREAM CHARTER is a registered trademark of Bitstream Inc.

% The Bitstream Charter fonts have different names....
/CharterBT-Roman (bchr.gsf) ;
/CharterBT-Italic (bchri.gsf) ;
/CharterBT-Bold (bchb.gsf) ;
/CharterBT-BoldItalic (bchbi.gsf) ;
% ... so we provide aliases.
/Charter-Roman /CharterBT-Roman ;
/Charter-Italic /CharterBT-Italic ;
/Charter-Bold /CharterBT-Bold ;
/Charter-BoldItalic /CharterBT-BoldItalic ;

% Donated by Bitstream to X11R5
/Courier10PitchBT-Roman (c0419bt_.pfa) ;
/Courier10PitchBT-Italic (c0582bt_.pfa) ;
/Courier10PitchBT-Bold (c0583bt_.pfa) ;
/Courier10PitchBT-BoldItalic (c0611bt_.pfa) ;

% The following notice accompanied the Courier font:
%
% IBM Courier - Copyright (c) IBM Corporation 1990, 1991
%
% You are hereby granted permission under the terms of the IBM/MIT X
% Consortium Courier Typefont agreement to execute, reproduce,
% distribute, display, market, sell and otherwise transfer copies of
% the IBM Courier font to third parties.
%
% The font is provided "AS IS" without charge. NO WARRANTIES OR
% INDEMNIFICATION ARE GIVEN, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED INCLUDING, BUT
% LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
% A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

/Courier (ncrr.gsf) ;
/Courier-Italic (ncrri.gsf) ;
/Courier-Bold (ncrb.gsf) ;
/Courier-BoldItalic (ncrbi.gsf) ;

% The following notice accompanied the Utopia font:
%
% Permission to use, reproduce, display and distribute the listed
% typefaces is hereby granted, provided that the Adobe Copyright notice
% appears in all whole and partial copies of the software and that the
% following trademark symbol and attribution appear in all unmodified
% copies of the software:
%
% Copyright (c) 1989 Adobe Systems Incorporated
% Utopia (R)
% Utopia is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated
%
% The Adobe typefaces (Type 1 font program, bitmaps and Adobe Font
% Metric files) donated are:
%
% Utopia Regular
% Utopia Italic
% Utopia Bold
% Utopia Bold Italic

/Utopia-Regular (putr.gsf) ;
/Utopia-Italic (putri.gsf) ;
/Utopia-Bold (putb.gsf) ;
/Utopia-BoldItalic (putbi.gsf) ;
Tom Epperly University of Wisconsin-Madison Chemical Engineering
(608) 262-8264 epp...@osnome.che.wisc.edu Graduate Student
Member of the League for Programming Freedom(fighting software monopolies)
For more info contact me or l...@uunet.uu.net.
If you feel you must flame, please send email rather than posting.

A Usenet Pal

Apr 17, 1993, 1:43:47 AM4/17/93
In article <2...@blackbear.win.net> lgil...@blackbear.win.net (Len Gilbert) writes:
>My guess is that somewhere in the X11R4 distribution files is a licensing
>agreement.

X11R5, actually.

>It may allow users of X11R4 to use the Adobe font for free but

>prohibit distribution or modification...

Here is the agreement from the X11R5 distribution:

In the interests of furthering standards for the X Window System, Adobe
Systems Incorporated has contributed to the X Consortium and its members
the Adobe typeface software listed below. This Adobe Type 1 font software
donation will now allow users to experience and freely use traditional
high-quality Adobe type in the X Window environment.