Vonage and Time Warner Cable-voice fades, cut-out of signal

patty...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2005, 8:24:52 PM12/6/05
I am a new user of Vonage using the PAP2 Linksys adapter hooked to my
Linksys Router which is hooked to the Cable Modem. Internet Wall
Cable-->Cable Modem (Ambit from RR)----> *Linksys WRT54GS Router---->
PAP2 Vonage adapter (and also a PC hooked to router).

Noticed since I bought this and after calling tech support for RR and
for Vonage, as well as increasing my RR badwidth (extra charge),
lowering bandwidth usage on Vonage site, etc......

...that after perhaps 20 minutes on long distance calls, the other
person will not hear me for about 10-20 seconds. This occured about 6
times so far--had it for about 6 days. Had it disconnect call 3 times
hte first fday but this never occured again.

I am using a corded phone (not a wireless phone). I am sitting right
next to my comptuer where all the equipment is. Not doing anything on
my computer at all except perhaps a little surfing. My Upload speed is
>489Kbps/60kBs and download is about 7644Kbps/933/kBs

There is no one else using my RR resouces in my house. Router is tied
down via MAC address for extra security.

I ran the testyourvoip.com (and http://www.testmy.net and a few other
sites) and got a MOS 4.4 but high latency (179ms to and from San Jose).

Pings to www.yahoo.com were in the 20ms range.

***************Anyone else experiewnce problems, people not hearing
them, etc..

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I can return this in 3 more weeks and try Timee Warners service or just

Thanks
Patty

Vox Humana

Dec 7, 2005, 9:46:00 AM12/7/05

<patty...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It is probably your VOIP provider. I would return the Vonage box and go
with another provider who issues an unlocked device. I've been pretty happy
with Teliax (www.teliax.com) and their price is competitive (or less
expensive) than Vonage. They will sell you an unlocked adapter which you
can configure for an additional provider if you want or you can use for
another provider should you want to switch.

Personally, I would forget about TW's VOIP service because it is far too
expensive. You may as well stick with a PSTN phone company if you want to
pay the kind of money TW charges.

patty...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2005, 1:09:47 PM12/7/05
Thanks,
Patty

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Dec 7, 2005, 2:50:04 PM12/7/05

"Vox Humana" <vhu...@hotmail.com> writes:
> It is probably your VOIP provider. I would return the Vonage box and go
> with another provider who issues an unlocked device. I've been pretty happy
> with Teliax (www.teliax.com) and their price is competitive (or less
> expensive) than Vonage.

I recall one regular in the comp.dcom.telecom groups mentioned that he
sent his Vonage unit back after a few years of service with them. I
seems that they were maxing out some circuits on the path between him
and them and dropping bits of conversations. They didn't really care
to investigate or fix. Switching services cured that.

> They will sell you an unlocked adapter which you can configure for
> an additional provider if you want or you can use for another
> provider should you want to switch.

They also let you bring your own (at least on the pay-by-the-minute
plan).

One of the service providers I'm thinking of auditioning next (and
having one more fall-back provider) is Sipphone. They allow free
direct inward SIP calling, believe in an open internet and also sell
2-cent minutes with no monthlies. They are also much closer to me
delay-wise than any of the other voip/pstn gateway providers I'm now
using. Google seems to like Sipphone too and is going to interconnect
with them and Earthlink once Google gets some policy issues worked
out. Anyone here use them yet? Hows the service?

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

Vox Humana

Dec 8, 2005, 8:54:12 AM12/8/05

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<wolfgang+gnus2...@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> wrote in
message news:87bqzsb...@bonnet.wsrcc.com...

> One of the service providers I'm thinking of auditioning next (and
> having one more fall-back provider) is Sipphone. They allow free
> direct inward SIP calling, believe in an open internet and also sell
> 2-cent minutes with no monthlies. They are also much closer to me
> delay-wise than any of the other voip/pstn gateway providers I'm now
> using. Google seems to like Sipphone too and is going to interconnect
> with them and Earthlink once Google gets some policy issues worked
> out. Anyone here use them yet? Hows the service?

Coincidentally, I just configured Sipphone on the second line of my PAP2-NA.
I have Teliax on line one. They sold me the unlocked box. I am happy with
their service in general. The quality is good and it has been reliable for
the most part. Communications have been bad in that they didn't adequately
explain some of their fees, including the charge for incoming calls, the
(now discontinued) connect charge, and the fee for porting your existing
number. Also, their "voice mail sent to your email" system hasn't worked
for months. They are now previewing caller ID with name and I hope they
decide to keep the service at no additional charge.

Since most of my calls are incoming long distance calls from relatives with
unlimited long distance service, I couldn't see paying for incoming calls.
I set up the Sipphone account on line two. I had to get a phone number in
another city, but that doesn't matter to the people who call me. The
monthly fee works out to about $3 for the DID, no charge for incoming calls,
and 2 cents/min for outgoing -- which seems very inexpensive. Teliax
charges $5/mo for a DID and 2 cents/min for both incoming and outgoing. So
far the quality of the Sipphone connection isn't quite as good as Teliax.
There is a significant delay when placing a call. After dialing, there is
some dead time and then the amount of money left on your account is
announced. Finally, the call is connected. I also had some problems at
first receiving calls. After reading their knowledge base, I discovered
that I needed to delete my registration from their server (a tool is
provided at their web portal) and then reboot my ATA. That seems to have
solved the problem. If they had a local number, I would consider dropping
Teliax. I guess paying for incoming calls bothers me - A LOT. For now, I
will keep both services and use Sipphone for most incoming calls, and both
Teliax and Sipphone for outgoing calls.