Do other LDAP server work with Oracle RDBMS as name resolution ??

tof...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 5:28:09 AM3/12/08

I have been searching for a LDAP solution replacing our Onames name
resolution today as 10g does not support Onames anymore.

I know that Oracle have OID as the LDAP solution, but I think it is a
expensive solution, just to have it for name resolution.

But if Oracle RDBMS is LDAP compliant, would it then be possible to
install fx. an open source LDAP and use this as a solution ??

I have found one description on the web, that is should be possible,
but the paper was not describing it in details to set it up.

So my question if anybody have tried a LDAP solution not based on
Oracle OID and make it work only to name resolution for Oracle
databases ??

Best regards
Tom

sybrandb

Mar 12, 2008, 5:59:11 AM3/12/08

Active directory should work.
There was a whitepaper on http://www.dizwell.com, but the author
decided to tear the site down.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

news.verizon.net

Mar 12, 2008, 10:07:41 AM3/12/08

<tof...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Yes, I got it to work with a standard LDAP server. I'll see if I can dig up
my instructions on how I did it.
Jim

codadilupo

Mar 12, 2008, 10:15:00 AM3/12/08
tof...@gmail.com wrote:

> But if Oracle RDBMS is LDAP compliant, would it then be possible to
> install fx. an open source LDAP and use this as a solution ??

If you already have an opensource LDAP server up and running this seem
to be a reasonable solution, but if you have to install and configure it
from scratch I can't see the advantage over installing and configuring
OID from scratch.

C:

Matthias Hoys

Mar 12, 2008, 3:15:01 PM3/12/08

"sybrandb" <sybr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Too bad. I liked his documentation.

Mladen Gogala

Mar 12, 2008, 5:00:37 PM3/12/08

I second that. I used OpenLDAP once and I lost the directory when the
underlying Berkeley DB got corrupt. OID is free, if used only for the name
resolution. I didn't save any money and I suffered considerable
embarassment because of OpenLDAP. I trust my Oracle RDBMS more then I
trust Berkeley DB. The price is about the same. Microsoft active directory
is supported.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com

news.verizon.net

Mar 12, 2008, 10:35:11 PM3/12/08

"Mladen Gogala" <mgo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Given that I would recommend using OID.
Jim

tof...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 9:37:13 AM3/13/08
I doubt that OID is free. If it was it relies on the RDBMS that you
have to pay a licens for. But I agree that the database is more
reliable. But to the little task only to do the name resolution it is
much to spend on a database. Of course it is possible to run it on
existing DB installation so the license could be shared.

/Tom

On 12 Mar., 22:00, Mladen Gogala <mgog...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:15:00 +0100, codadilupo wrote:
> > tof...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >> But ifOracleRDBMS isLDAPcompliant, would it then be possible to
> >> install fx. an open sourceLDAPand use this as a solution ??
>
> > If you already have an opensourceLDAPserver up and running this seem

> > to be a reasonable solution, but if you have to install and configure it
> > from scratch I can't see the advantage over installing and configuring
> > OID from scratch.
>
> > C:
>
> I second that. I used OpenLDAP once and I lost the directory when the
> underlying Berkeley DB got corrupt. OID is free, if used only for the name
> resolution. I didn't save any money and I suffered considerable

> embarassment because of OpenLDAP. I trust myOracleRDBMS more then I

omichels

Mar 14, 2008, 8:51:53 AM3/14/08

>Yes, I got it to work with a standard LDAP server. I'll see if I can dig up
>my instructions on how I did it.

it works definitely with a standard LDAP server, but you need to
extend the LDAP schema
with new attributes for OID.

There a nice walk-thru paper on the net from a german oracle user-
group at
http://www.netcos.de/press/material/LDAP-Integration_SQLNet.pdf

openLDAP works for me and is running stable.

Regards, Oliver Michels

Frank van Bortel

Mar 14, 2008, 3:32:47 PM3/14/08
tof...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been searching for a LDAP solution replacing our Onames name
> resolution today as 10g does not support Onames anymore.
>
> I know that Oracle have OID as the LDAP solution, but I think it is a
> expensive solution, just to have it for name resolution.

Nonsense - OID for (just) names resolution is free - that is
the license come with the db

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up