SVCENAME is blank. How to otherwise determine port?

esmith2112

Mar 20, 2009, 11:34:50 AM3/20/09
Trying to set up connectivity for clients against a newly upgraded
(from 8.2 to 9.5 fixpak3a) database on AIX 5.3. However, I can't
determine the port in the way in which I'm accustomed by getting the
dbm cfg and looking at the value of SVCENAME and comparing that to the
entries in /etc/services.

I can connect to the database locally, so I know it's up and running
and listening on some port. Is there any back door method to determine
the port that the instance is listening on?

Thanks,
Evan

tha...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2009, 11:59:40 AM3/20/09

Evan,

you can connect to the database locally without tcp/ip communications
being available, so the fact that's possible does not necessarily mean
your instance is listening to a port. If SVCENAME is blank, you need
to set it to your desired port using UPDATE DBM CFG USING SVCENAME
<your port>, and possibly db2set DB2COMM=tcpip before you can
establish remote tcp/ip communications.

/T

esmith2112

Mar 20, 2009, 12:21:22 PM3/20/09
You hit the nail on the head. I have previously never worked with a
non TCPIP enabled database so I never thought of checking this.
Everything works like a charm now.

Thanks!

Mark A

Mar 21, 2009, 12:12:44 AM3/21/09
>"esmith2112" <esmit...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> You hit the nail on the head. I have previously never worked with a
> non TCPIP enabled database so I never thought of checking this.
>
> Everything works like a charm now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Evan

This is typically caused by someone creating an instance without specifying
the port number (-p option omitted).

vinodh...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2012, 3:15:48 AM9/4/12
i know its a very old post... but still , Thanks :)

ayoub...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2017, 6:22:56 AM12/22/17
The post is really old (2009) but it helped me a lot in 2017.
If you guys are still alive, then thank you! Otherwise...RIP.