Multiple baloons in BOMs

John Wade

Apr 10, 2003, 6:42:22 PM4/10/03
I'm getting earache from our proiduction guys that some of my assembly
drawings are tricky to understand because they have dozens if fixings in
them, and as far as I know I can only attatch one balloon per part. Is it
possible to put balloons on multiple instances of a part in one assembly
drawing?

Thanks.

D.Miller

Apr 10, 2003, 11:32:19 PM4/10/03

Unfortunately I don't have all the info in front of me but at least I
can confirm that you can place balloons on multiple instances of a part
in one assembly drawing. It can be done by setting up and using a custom
balloon. If you read the online documentation you should find
instructions on how to do this.

If you are unsuccessful post again and I'll try to dig up specific
directions.

--
D. Miller
dvm...@rochester.rr.com

Eugene N. Kilmer

Apr 10, 2003, 11:51:55 PM4/10/03
I think the best you can do is set up a custom balloon that acts like a
quantity balloon, or just use the quantity balloon if that's satisfactory.
The upshot is that you can parametrically balloon any particular part once
for each time it occurs. You may have 10 instances of the same part in an
assembly and you'll be able to put a quantity balloon on each one of them,
but never two parametric balloons on the same instance.

If you get confused and think you should be able to put a parametric balloon
on a particular instance of a part and Pro won't let you, show all the
balloons and you'll get a rundown of which part instances are already
ballooned and in which view the balloon appears. You probably already
ballooned the part instance in another view.

--
Eugene N. Kilmer
Owner/Mag Drafting

John Wade

Apr 13, 2003, 10:27:37 PM4/13/03

"Eugene N. Kilmer" <kil...@thuntek.net> wrote in message

> I think the best you can do is set up a custom balloon that acts like a
> quantity balloon, or just use the quantity balloon if that's satisfactory.
> The upshot is that you can parametrically balloon any particular part once
> for each time it occurs. You may have 10 instances of the same part in an
> assembly and you'll be able to put a quantity balloon on each one of them,
> but never two parametric balloons on the same instance.

That's pretty much what I've decided to do. Our drafting proceedures forbid
it, as fricking usual, so I'm going to just issue the drawings anyway.

Mike

Apr 13, 2003, 7:29:21 PM4/13/03
"Eugene N. Kilmer" <kil...@thuntek.net> wrote in message news:<b75es0$1dvk$1...@reader.nmix.net>...

John,
I have had success using a parametric note that reads the parts
parameters.
Make a map key
Create
Note (must have leader)
Balloon (note if you want balloon radius to match standard balloon
edit dtl file)
Type &DET_NO:att_mdl (note DET_NO is my companies parameter for detail
number)
Press done
Save mapkey

To add balloon
Activate mapkey
Pick edge of part
Move cursor to where you want note placed
Press middle mouse button (enter)

Now you will be able to show a balloon for any part on any sheet
easily without the need of a table.This works very well when using
simlified reps ect.
Good Luck
Mike

Steve

Apr 15, 2003, 5:47:43 PM4/15/03

> I have had success using a parametric note that reads the parts
> parameters.
> Make a map key
> Create
> Note (must have leader)
> Balloon (note if you want balloon radius to match standard balloon
> edit dtl file)
> Type &DET_NO:att_mdl (note DET_NO is my companies parameter for detail
> number)
> Press done
> Save mapkey
>
> To add balloon
> Activate mapkey
> Pick edge of part
> Move cursor to where you want note placed
> Press middle mouse button (enter)
>
> Now you will be able to show a balloon for any part on any sheet
> easily without the need of a table.This works very well when using
> simlified reps ect.
> Good Luck
> Mike
can you outline the use of &DET_NO, if I understand (maybe I don't) how does
this relate to &rpt.index used to assign item number in the bom?
tia

Mike

Apr 15, 2003, 10:53:48 PM4/15/03
"Steve" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:<J5%ma.2017$f34.4...@news20.bellglobal.com>...
Steve,
The DET_NO is a part parameter included with our start parts.
We do not use the &rpt.index in the table column instead we use
&asm.mbr.det_no.
To sum it up we use the parts parameters to show detail numbers, not
the &rpt.index.While this tool does not replace the need for a table
driven view,it can help clarify assy views and simplifed reps ect.If
you have more questions or would like a example file contact me
offsite.
Mike

John Wade

Apr 16, 2003, 1:37:38 PM4/16/03
Nice trick Mike, I didn't know you could identify models by putting leaders
on them. I think I'll have to settle for using ballons which also show
quantity though.