Free Serial Protocol Analyzers?

Tim Wescott

Feb 16, 2005, 12:12:37 PM2/16/05
I need a lightweight serial protocol analyzer that will let me see
what's happening on an RS-232 line, or at least a terminal program that
will let me capture images from a serial stream. I've seen such things
pass before my eyes, used by colleagues, but I've never needed one myself.

Any recommendations? I'm running Windows XP, and getting by in Cygwin
with cat /dev/ttyS0 > file.txt. It's adequate, but barely.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Jim Stewart

Feb 16, 2005, 12:48:17 PM2/16/05
Tim Wescott wrote:
> I need a lightweight serial protocol analyzer that will let me see
> what's happening on an RS-232 line, or at least a terminal program that
> will let me capture images from a serial stream. I've seen such things
> pass before my eyes, used by colleagues, but I've never needed one myself.
>
> Any recommendations? I'm running Windows XP, and getting by in Cygwin
> with cat /dev/ttyS0 > file.txt. It's adequate, but barely.

Here's some free DOS analyzers:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat429/

Hopefully you can make a DOS boot floppy or
CD and run off of that instead of Win.

Andrew Jackson

Feb 16, 2005, 1:16:51 PM2/16/05
Tim Wescott wrote:
> I need a lightweight serial protocol analyzer that will let me see
> what's happening on an RS-232 line, or at least a terminal program
> that will let me capture images from a serial stream. I've seen such
> things pass before my eyes, used by colleagues, but I've never needed
> one myself.
>
> Any recommendations? I'm running Windows XP, and getting by in Cygwin
> with cat /dev/ttyS0 > file.txt. It's adequate, but barely.

If you go to sysinternals.com (www.sysinternals.com) you can download
portmon which, from a Windows system, lets you monitor and log I/O to the
serial (or parallel) ports. I've found it very useful, in the past, for
analysing serial communication problems.

Andrew

Rene Tschaggelar

Feb 17, 2005, 9:10:42 AM2/17/05
Tim Wescott wrote:

> I need a lightweight serial protocol analyzer that will let me see
> what's happening on an RS-232 line, or at least a terminal program that
> will let me capture images from a serial stream. I've seen such things
> pass before my eyes, used by colleagues, but I've never needed one myself.
>
> Any recommendations? I'm running Windows XP, and getting by in Cygwin
> with cat /dev/ttyS0 > file.txt. It's adequate, but barely.

I once wrote a Windows application to monitor 5 serial channels.
To be found at :
http://www.ibrtses.com/products/index.html
http://www.ibrtses.com/products/fivechannel.zip

Rene

Dave Hansen

Feb 17, 2005, 12:15:34 PM2/17/05
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:12:37 -0800, Tim Wescott
<t...@wescottnospamdesign.com> wrote:

>I need a lightweight serial protocol analyzer that will let me see
>what's happening on an RS-232 line, or at least a terminal program that
>will let me capture images from a serial stream. I've seen such things
>pass before my eyes, used by colleagues, but I've never needed one myself.
>
>Any recommendations? I'm running Windows XP, and getting by in Cygwin
>with cat /dev/ttyS0 > file.txt. It's adequate, but barely.

I've been quite pleased with ComLite32. You can use it to monitor a
COM port that a Windoze app is using, or you can "pass-through" the
Windoze PC to monitor two external devices communicating with each
other. You can't use it as a terminal, and I haven't tried it on XP
yet.

http://www.rtcard.com/comlab32.html

Regards,

-=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Michel

Feb 17, 2005, 1:43:47 PM2/17/05

"Dave Hansen" <id...@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:12:37 -0800, Tim Wescott
> <t...@wescottnospamdesign.com> wrote:
>
> >I need a lightweight serial protocol analyzer that will let me see
> >what's happening on an RS-232 line, or at least a terminal program that
> >will let me capture images from a serial stream. I've seen such things
> >pass before my eyes, used by colleagues, but I've never needed one
myself.

> >Any recommendations? I'm running Windows XP, and getting by in Cygwin
> >with cat /dev/ttyS0 > file.txt. It's adequate, but barely.

I like and use this program http://www.aspycom.fr.st/
(you can choose English Language in the program menu )

Sam Storm van Leeuwen

Feb 18, 2005, 2:51:11 AM2/18/05
id...@hotmail.com (Dave Hansen) wrote in

I used docklight (www.docklight.de). Served me well.