Mapping Pune Bus routes

Praveen A

Mar 21, 2012, 4:18:52 PM3/21/12
to Pune GNU/Linux Users Group Mailing List, FSUGoP, valu-pune, cofsug
Hi,

Would anyone be interested in Pune Bus Routes mapping project? There
is already work done for Chennai, see http://busroutes.in/chennai/

If you are interested in this project add your name on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Pune/Bus_Routes I have some
experience mapping for OSM but haven't done a bus route yet, we'll
learn it on the fly.

Thanks
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍

Mihir Khatwani

Mar 21, 2012, 4:21:35 PM3/21/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Sir,
Can you please explain like what will be our job, or how it will be done in a bit more detail please.

shirish शिरीष

Mar 21, 2012, 4:49:56 PM3/21/12
to fs...@googlegroups.com, Pune GNU/Linux Users Group Mailing List, valu-pune, cofsug
at bottom :-

apart from that you can use few links :-

a. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Buses
b. http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/36052
b. https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/mangalore-minidebconf-day-2/

The second part is about an experience shared about josm in the
mangalore debconf.

It would be perhaps a good idea if people could install josm in their
desktops and just try exploring the interface and figuring out stuff.
I haven't played with it in a long time so am pretty rusty hence its
good that Praveen would be there to guide all. The only thing which
would be nice to have is change for the bus (from somewhere to
somewhere) and some phone which has working A-GPS .

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

Gautam Akiwate

Mar 21, 2012, 5:30:43 PM3/21/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com

2012/3/22 shirish शिरीष <shiri...@gmail.com>

at bottom :-

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 01:48, Praveen A <pra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would anyone be interested in Pune Bus Routes mapping project? There
> is already work done for Chennai, see http://busroutes.in/chennai/
>
> If you are interested in this project add your name on
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Pune/Bus_Routes I have some
> experience mapping for OSM but haven't done a bus route yet, we'll
> learn it on the fly.

Any other pre-requisites?

Gautam

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

shirish शिरीष

Mar 22, 2012, 4:57:29 AM3/22/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
at bottom :-

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 03:00, Gautam Akiwate <gautam....@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> Any other pre-requisites?
>
> Gautam

<snipped>

Apart from bus fare :P , a lappy having josm and a phone which has
A-GPS (preferably with full and charged battery) and no calls to
disturb us, one of the big pre-requisites would be time. When we did
the mapping of the campus the whole campus though is of 20 minutes the
whole thing took us nearly 2 hours + so it should take us at least
that much time if not more.

The other thing would be it would be nice if we have 4-5 people at
least. It is always nice if we have more people but then its better if
we have more devices as well.

More people + more devices = more fun + more mapping

A suggestion would be we could meet either at COEP and come to PMT bus
depot or meet directly at PMT bus depot (to save time). Preferably it
would be nice if we could do it in the evening as it would be cooler
and we could spend more time on it.

All are just suggestions, feel free to do as people feel.

Depending on people who wanna come and what they think of above we
could finalize the time and place and just be there. Maybe one of you
Gautam/Mihir could take a call on number of people who are interested
in this and see some how many devices could be scrounged up.

That's it, back to @lunch and then work. Till l8er.

Praveen A

Mar 22, 2012, 5:35:15 AM3/22/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/22 Mihir Khatwani <mihir.k...@gmail.com>:

> Sir,
> Can you please explain like what will be our job, or how it will be done in
> a bit more detail please.

We will need a GPS device (many smart phones already have GPS in
them). See if your mobile has GPS functionality or ask if any of your
friends have a mobile with GPS functionality. My HTC Dream/T Mobile G1
has a GPS so at least a few of us can share it. If we have more GPS
devices its better.

We will start with locating our current position by starting the GPS.
Once we have our current position, we can walk and trace our path by
connecting locations taken at regular intervals.

In our case major work will be mapping all bus stops. Once we have all
bus stops mapped and we have a list of routes connecting these bus
stops we can find buses to go from any point to any other point.

Looks like there is already some work done at
http://punebusguide.org/en/guide/ We will contact them and see if they
have anything missing, can we use their data etc.

Then we will have to integrate this data with busroutes.in I know some
people who run this and they told me they are looking to improve the
website by rewriting it. So if you are interested in web design, then
also you can help us. Suggest how best we can make this data easily
available.

See this trip planner from Magarpatta City to Hinjewadi

http://punebusguide.org/en/guide/index.html?fromPlace=18.514925267697,73.932381888426&toPlace=18.5904368037,73.728448172613&arr=Depart&min=QUICK&maxWalkDistance=840&mode=TRANSIT,WALK&itinID=1&submit&date=03/22/2012&time=2:58%20pm

PS: no need to call me sir, just call me Praveen or j4v4m4n :)
PPS: When I started thinking about this idea, I was not aware there
was already work done in this area. May be all major work is already
done and we may need to add only a little polish and may be promote
this among our circles.

Praveen A

Mar 22, 2012, 5:39:30 AM3/22/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/22 Gautam Akiwate <gautam....@gmail.com>:
> Any other pre-requisites?

No, just an interest in this is enough. Bonus points if you can get
some GPS devices.

Praveen A

Mar 22, 2012, 5:49:57 AM3/22/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/22 Praveen A <pra...@gmail.com>:

Just see if you can find any missing links, I found some already. Try
to plan a trip starting from any random point and ending at any other
random point and see if you can get a plan. If you get any error note
down that area and we will go there and map bus stops there.

For example, try going from Swargate to Sinhagad, you won't find any!

Praveen

shirish शिरीष

Mar 22, 2012, 2:00:28 PM3/22/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
at bottom :-

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 15:05, Praveen A <pra...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> Looks like there is already some work done at
> http://punebusguide.org/en/guide/ We will contact them and see if they
> have anything missing, can we use their data etc.

Praveen,
The site looks good. I do see they have gone the CC-by-SA route
so that looks promising. If you do connect with them and come to some
sort of understanding would be nice to know of that too. If you do
connect with them it would be nice to know if they are also submitting
the data (as a layer perhaps to OSM too) in which then they don't have
to worry about that data and changes to the map as much as just giving
that look (just having the bus layer to show as default)

After that, perhaps it would be nice to know which routes are not in
the database which could be filled in. It would be nice/clear if we
know where the data is going to end up, in the puneguidde,
busroutes.in or in OSM (it would be preferable if it gets in OSM
though) ?

I do remember busroutes.in quite some time back and they had seemed to
be chennai centric only. I have no idea if this still is the case.

<snipped>

> --
> പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
> You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your
> rights from them; you give them permission to rule, only so long as
> they follow the rules: laws and constitution.
>

> --

Just my 2 paise.

Praveen A

Mar 23, 2012, 6:48:28 AM3/23/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/22 shirish शिरीष <shiri...@gmail.com>:

> Praveen,
>      The site looks good. I do see they have gone the CC-by-SA route
> so that looks promising. If you do connect with them and come to some
> sort of understanding would be nice to know of that too. If you do
> connect with them it would be nice to know if they are also submitting
> the data (as a layer perhaps to OSM too) in which then they don't have
> to worry about that data and changes to the map as much as just giving
> that look (just having the bus layer to show as default)
>
> After that, perhaps it would be nice to know which routes are not in
> the database which could be filled in. It would  be nice/clear if we
> know where the data is going to end up, in the puneguidde,
> busroutes.in or in OSM (it would be preferable if it gets in OSM
> though) ?

I have contacted the people who made this map and lets see how they
respond. Lets meet tomorrow anyway and discuss ideas to make it better
and promote it. Also for those who are new to mapping, we can do some
basic mapping of areas around COEP. How about 11 am tomorrow?

Those who are interested please write your name here
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Pune/Bus_Routes

Even if you don't know anything about mapping just come and we will
cover the basic ideas.

Those of you who are still wondering what we are talking about go
through http://switch2osm.org/why-switch/

“Much like Wikipedia challenged Encyclopedia Britannica and Linux
took on Microsoft Windows, OpenStreetMap is battling Google Maps, and
at least in some cases, it’s winning.”

Read what Wired has to say about people switching to OpenStreetMap.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/01/openstreetmap-google/

“OpenStreetMap is all about people doing their bit, creating an
incredible resource for everybody else.”

Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the web, explains OSM at TED 2009.

> I do remember busroutes.in quite some time back and they had seemed to
> be chennai centric only. I have no idea if this still is the case.

Yes, it has Chennai only, that's why we wanted to add Pune and came
across the work done by punebusguide.in

Praveen

shravan aras

Mar 23, 2012, 8:46:58 AM3/23/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
Praveen I would advise you to postpone the mapping exercise till Sunday. Tomorrow Mr. Sharad Pawar and his team will be coming in the morning to inaugrate the mail building. It goes without saying that the security will be extermely strict and the college will be packed with students and faculty. Not to mention, Saturday is also working and students are expected to come in uniform and present their id cards, making non college students difficult to enter. It would be nice not to add to this confusion and managment mahem with a mapping party as it may not be taken in the right spirit by others. Hence I advise you to reschedule the mapping party to Sunday.

Thank you,
Shravan Aras.l

Praveen A

Mar 23, 2012, 9:13:19 AM3/23/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/23 shravan aras <123.s...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> Praveen I would advise you to postpone the mapping exercise till Sunday.
> Tomorrow Mr. Sharad Pawar and his team will be coming in the morning to
> inaugrate the mail building. It goes without saying that the security will
> be extermely strict and the college will be packed with students and
> faculty. Not to mention, Saturday is also working and students are expected
> to come in uniform and present their id cards, making non college students
> difficult to enter. It would be nice not to add to this confusion and
> managment mahem with a mapping party as it may not be taken in the right
> spirit by others. Hence I advise you to reschedule the mapping party to
> Sunday.

Good tip, lets move it to Sunday evening then. 5:00 pm at Boat Club.

shirish शिरीष

Mar 23, 2012, 9:13:27 AM3/23/12
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 18:16, shravan aras <123.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Praveen I would advise you to postpone the mapping exercise till Sunday.
> Tomorrow Mr. Sharad Pawar and his team will be coming in the morning to
> inaugrate the mail building. It goes without saying that the security will
> be extermely strict and the college will be packed with students and
> faculty. Not to mention, Saturday is also working and students are expected
> to come in uniform and present their id cards, making non college students
> difficult to enter. It would be nice not to add to this confusion and
> managment mahem with a mapping party as it may not be taken in the right
> spirit by others. Hence I advise you to reschedule the mapping party to
> Sunday.
>
> Thank you,
> Shravan Aras.l

+1 on that. sunday is good. Would suggest to use the evening maybe
around 5ish (17:00 IST) till we want for as I look at the time of
11ish in the morning, having people gather, share the basics and then
getting to do actual mapping itself can take anywhere from 20-40
minutes and that time we would be pretty hot, which means consciously
or unconsciously people would do a little less of everything. And by
people I am first pointing the finger at myself lest anybody becomes
sensitive about something.

Either way its your call. Just my 2 paise.