Fedora Activity Day: 10 Sep

अभिजित Abhijit

Aug 30, 2011, 12:22:11 AM8/30/11
to cofsug
Dear All,

As most of you are aware, we are going to host FUDCON'11 on 4-6 Nov this year. As a preparatory step for the same we are arranging Fedora Activity Day on 10 Sep in FOSS Lab.

For this we need to:
a) Setup the FOSS lab with Fedora distribution
b) Create a local fedora mirror

FOSS lab admins: lets get this done with the help of all available friends.

अभिजित अ. मी.  Abhijit A. M.
Phone: +91 9422308125

Shakthi Kannan

Aug 30, 2011, 10:35:10 PM8/30/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- 2011/8/30 अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com>:

| As a preparatory step for the same we are arranging Fedora Activity
| Day on 10 Sep in FOSS Lab.

\--

Participants interested in attending the event can add your name to:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Pune_2011

If you would like any specific topic to be addressed other than what
has already been listed, please do let me know.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Shakthi Kannan

Aug 31, 2011, 2:05:33 AM8/31/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- 2011/8/30 अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com>:

| a) Setup the FOSS lab with Fedora distribution

\--

Rahul Sundaram mentioned to me that it will be good to have Fedora 15.

lokesh walase

Aug 31, 2011, 6:21:39 AM8/31/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we would setup the FOSS lab with Fedora15 only. Actually 20 computers already have Fedora15 & the remaining 25-30 will be installed soon .

We have spent some time on setting local Fedora Mirror in the lab , but are not still successful , so the efforts are going on .

---Lokesh Walase ( TY-Comp , Coep )

Muneeb Shaikh

Sep 2, 2011, 8:07:11 AM9/2/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Shakthi Kannan <shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snipped>

> If you would like any specific topic to be addressed other than what
> has already been listed, please do let me know.

I'm pleased to see session on Git. If possible a tutorial/hands on
session on Makefile.

Shakthi Kannan

Sep 2, 2011, 11:34:32 AM9/2/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muneeb:

--- On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Muneeb Shaikh <iamm...@gmail.com> wrote:
| I'm pleased to see session on Git. If possible a tutorial/hands on
| session on Makefile.

\--

We want to focus on Fedora packaging, and would like to see people
working on it. If time permits, will try to do a session on Make. Even
otherwise, we can have follow-up sessions for new/suggested topics.

Muneeb Shaikh

Sep 2, 2011, 1:05:54 PM9/2/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Muneeb:
>
> --- On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Muneeb Shaikh <iamm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> | I'm pleased to see session on Git. If possible a tutorial/hands on
> | session on Makefile.
> \--
>
> We want to focus on Fedora packaging, and would like to see people
> working on it. If time permits, will try to do a session on Make. Even
> otherwise, we can have follow-up sessions for new/suggested topics.

Well I don't know much about Fedora packaging but from what little
knowledge I have I think that some kind of control file (Makefile) is
needed to put the required files at proper places. Also for building the
package itself we might need to understand it. But you know better.

Shakthi Kannan

Sep 5, 2011, 12:25:40 AM9/5/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- 2011/8/30 अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com>:

| a) Setup the FOSS lab with Fedora distribution
| b) Create a local fedora mirror
|
| FOSS lab admins: lets get this done with the help of all available friends.

\--

Can you please provide any update on this?

Thanks!

sanjeev mk

Sep 5, 2011, 3:02:19 AM9/5/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Muneeb Shaikh <iamm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Seconded. Hands on session on Makefile and git should be taken.

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

Sep 5, 2011, 3:04:41 AM9/5/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We want to focus on Fedora packaging, and would like to see people
> working on it. If time permits, will try to do a session on Make. Even
> otherwise, we can have follow-up sessions for new/suggested topics.

A follow-up session might be a good fit rather than trying to plug
this into the FAD. However, at the end of the day, if the demand from
participants who'd like to learn about Autotools comes in, one should
perhaps honor that request.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>

Shakthi Kannan

Sep 5, 2011, 3:34:59 AM9/5/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

<sankarshan....@gmail.com> wrote:
| A follow-up session might be a good fit rather than trying to plug
| this into the FAD. However, at the end of the day, if the demand from
| participants who'd like to learn about Autotools comes in, one should
| perhaps honor that request.
\--

Siddhesh said that he had to go to Mumbai during the September 10
weekend, so he had to remove his autotools talk from the FAD. Given
the time and interest of the target audience on the day, we will do
our best to cover as much as possible.

Even otherwise, we will have follow-up workshops.

Shakthi Kannan

Sep 5, 2011, 7:32:35 AM9/5/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Shakthi Kannan

<shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:
| a) Setup the FOSS lab with Fedora distribution

\--

Request the following be done in all the Fedora lab machines, and
those bringing your laptops:

# yum install @development-tools fedora-packager

अभिजित Abhijit

Sep 6, 2011, 3:15:49 AM9/6/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Shakthi Kannan <shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

--- 2011/8/30 अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com>:
| a) Setup the FOSS lab with Fedora distribution
| b) Create a local fedora mirror
|
| FOSS lab admins: lets get this done with the help of all available friends.
\--

Can you please provide any update on this?

Thanks!

SK

the work starts today.
- abhijit

Shakthi Kannan

Sep 6, 2011, 4:58:38 AM9/6/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- 2011/8/30 अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com>:
| a) Setup the FOSS lab with Fedora distribution

\--

If you could also download the presentations and make a local copy
available on each system in the lab, it will be helpful. I have added
presentation links to the wiki page [1]. Request other presenters to
add links to their presentation in the wiki.

Other participants who bring their laptop can also download and keep a
copy of the presentations.

Regards,

SK

[1] Agenda - FAD Pune 2011. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Pune_2011#Agenda

अभिजित Abhijit

Sep 6, 2011, 6:50:02 AM9/6/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

--- 2011/8/30 अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com>:
| a) Setup the FOSS lab with Fedora distribution
\--

If you could also download the presentations and make a local copy
available on each system in the lab, it will be helpful. I have added
presentation links to the wiki page [1]. Request other presenters to
add links to their presentation in the wiki.

Other participants who bring their laptop can also download and keep a
copy of the presentations.

We'll setup a network share with all files on it, or else copy on some locally accessible webserver.  Hope that is fine.
- abhijit

Shakthi Kannan

Sep 6, 2011, 7:59:55 AM9/6/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- 2011/9/6 अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com>:

| We'll setup a network share with all files on it, or else copy on some
| locally accessible webserver.  Hope that is fine.

\--

That's fine. Can you also let us know how many computers with Fedora
installed are available in a lab, and how many labs can be made
available?

If there are more participants than a lab can accommodate, we can run
the same tracks in parallel in more than one lab. Its not a problem
for people bringing laptops, as they can be accommodated anywhere.

SK

अभिजित Abhijit

Sep 6, 2011, 9:09:43 AM9/6/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Lab has 45 computers available. If there are more people we'll setup wi-fi in a class room and make it a lab for those with laptops.
- abhijit

Shakthi Kannan

Sep 6, 2011, 11:26:01 AM9/6/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- 2011/9/6 अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com>:

| Lab has 45 computers available. If there are more people we'll setup wi-fi
| in a class room and make it a lab for those with laptops.

\--

Sounds good.

1/ Can you request the canteen to be open on Saturday at COEP so
people can buy food, say for lunch?

2/ Which department and lab are the sessions going to be held? A map
would be useful too.

Thanks!

shravan aras

Sep 6, 2011, 11:52:59 AM9/6/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com

The canteen is always open on Saturdays uptil 7:30 in the evening.

Rahul Bedarkar

Sep 7, 2011, 12:21:05 AM9/7/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
If time frame is available, I would like to take git (Version Control System) workshop.
Can someone tell me, is it possible ?

-
Regards,
Rahul S. Bedarkar
GR. Design Engineer,
Imagination Technology India Pvt. Ltd.,
Pune-07

Shakthi Kannan

Sep 7, 2011, 12:56:29 AM9/7/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahul:

--- On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Rahul Bedarkar <rpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
| If time frame is available, I would like to take git (Version Control
| System) workshop.
| Can someone tell me, is it possible ?

\--

git is already included in the agenda:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Pune_2011#Agenda

Rahul Bedarkar

Sep 7, 2011, 12:59:08 AM9/7/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Shakthi Kannan <shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rahul:

--- On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Rahul Bedarkar <rpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
| If time frame is available, I would like to take git (Version Control
| System) workshop.
| Can someone tell me, is it possible ?
\--

git is already included in the agenda:

Okay. That's fine.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

अभिजित Abhijit

Sep 7, 2011, 3:35:22 AM9/7/11
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good.

1/ Can you request the canteen to be open on Saturday at COEP so
people can buy food, say for lunch?

2/ Which department and lab are the sessions going to be held? A map
would be useful too.

FOSS Lab, 3rd Floor,
Electronics Extension building (Opposite Instrumentation, Behind Electronics main building),
Boat Club Side of the road,
CoEP.

Can anyone draw a map please ?