Fwd: Fw: [kulala] Coconut__Information Article

b...@eth.net

Nov 28, 2009, 4:43:17 AM11/28/09
to David Lobo, coc...@googlegroups.com
pl see this mail
Images-01.jpg
Images-02.jpg

David Lobo

Nov 28, 2009, 8:20:32 AM11/28/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com

2009/11/28 <b...@eth.net>
pl see this mail

Having difficulty accessing the group website ? Get help by writing, in confidence, to coconu...@googlegroups.com

Getting too many emails? The abridged email option (no more than 1 email per day) gives a summary of new activity each day; the digest email option (approximately 1 email per day) gives up to 25 full new messages bundled into a single email. For more options, go to http://groups.google.com/group/coconut/subscribe

From: Ganesh Ram <ganesh...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [kulala] Coconut__Information Article
To: "MKU Manipulators" <mkumanip...@yahoogroups.com>, "sarathy SARATHY" <sarath...@yahoo.co.in>, "kula kulala" <kul...@yahoogroups.co.in>, "aj aj" <ajwar...@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, 26 November, 2009, 11:59 AM

FYI

Nov 28, 2009, 8:29:17 AM11/28/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Ganesh,
Thanks.  Very interesting and valuable information.  If someone asks me to authenticate the source of the claims, how do I do so?  Do guide me for much work has to be done to propagate  Tender Coconut water .   Your help will be much appreciated.

The unorganised market in India is growing rapidly but with few statistics. Yet those who are involved say growth is high and organising the markets better is required.  Any comments from those with experience, on how to do a better job of this market,  will be most appreciated.

Brazil is processing and exporting quite a huge quantity to the US, we read.

Thanks,
David

2009/11/28 <b...@eth.net>
pl see this mail

Paul Richardson

Nov 29, 2009, 8:44:29 AM11/29/09
to Coconut
I think the future marketing potential for tender coconut water
involves capitalizing on its natural attributes including unique
packaging. The body of information that celebrates coconut water is
amazing yet dated and needs re-invigoration in the mind of consumers,
who want natures absolute best. Conducting studies that highlight the
effects of re hydrating the brain (91%fluid), promote findings about
dissolving kidney stones. Discussing the genetic attributes
"triploidy" and ability to micro-propagate flavour "lime"as well as
bio-reator potential all lift the coconut above the rest of the
beverage market. "Alive" is the selling point. Generating enthusiasm
and educating young athletes and active people will do more for
rethinking and solving other challenges in the industry as a whole as
well as increasing demand I think the sport drink of the Brazilian
Olympiad should be in a coconut husk not a bottle if the industry is
to capitalize.

All the brightest health claims about coconut water cannot be
reproduced using packaged preserved coconut water. The pure alive
fluid has long been a target for beverage industry but perfect
preservation remains unattainable. We will never see a tetra-pak with
a film of living coconut jelly forming naturally on the inside. In a
new "greener economy" take advantage of coconuts natural package.
Brand improved hybrids which make real claims that further educate the
consumer about coconut natural parameters, least husk:shell volume,
most lively cell nuclei, approx date of maximum sweetness, celebrate
the diversity and individuality of coconut water living flavor, rather
than standardizing batches and blending flavors to cover variations in
taste.
Coconut breeding is an art form and has cultural heritage value. The
best drinking varieties should be eagerly planted with the rewards as
close to the farm gate as possible and the consumer able to hold and
appreciate the live fruit.
Capitalize on the adage that "once one has tasted a good tender
coconut the desire remains for life" This is programmable because the
product is alive and 100%bio-compatible. Which can lead to more
market acceptance and the need to become more coconut connoisseur
rather than a "compromiser" or worse, one who prefers another beverage
because of prior programming.
I appreciate that my comments come from a very fringe coconut market,
Australia . Yet we are generating demand for fresh local product and
making tender coconut available "still on the bunch" by home delivery,
courier transport and through health food stores.
I agree better market organization is required, demand for well
packaged coconut water will continue to rise and is essential but
lets not do away with the best product we have for expediency sake.
Give the consumer a chance to pay for natures best, after tasting the
rest, ensures the future of the industry.

cheers,
Paul

On Nov 28, 11:29 pm, David Lobo <davidl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ganesh,
> Thanks.  Very interesting and valuable information.  If someone asks me to
> authenticate the source of the claims, how do I do so?  Do guide me for much
> work has to be done to propagate  Tender Coconut water .   Your help will be
> much appreciated.
>
> The unorganised market in India is growing rapidly but with few statistics.
> Yet those who are involved say growth is high and organising the markets
> better is required.  Any comments from those with experience, on how to do a
> better job of this market,  will be most appreciated.
>
> Brazil is processing and exporting quite a huge quantity to the US, we
> read.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> 2009/11/28 <b...@eth.net>
>

> > pl see this mail
>
> > -- <coconut-u...@googlegroups.com>

Hugh Harries

Nov 29, 2009, 2:41:44 PM11/29/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Paul Richardson & David Lobo

Paul
I cannot disagree with your opinions (although I hope that coconut breeding is a scientific art) but can you overcome the problem of disposing of the "empties" that litter the beach at Rio?

David
Despite my diatribe on letting nuts fall naturally, instead of mechanizing their harvesting, I accept that "Some equipment still seems to be needed" for the big, annually increasing, tender coconut market before his replanted hybrid palms grow out of reach after some years.

Both of you
Here is an idea to think about.

Try attaching a "CocoTap" to a length of flexible pressure tubing that is connected, through a valve, to an empty metal keg from which the contents (beer) have been removed and replaced by a hard vacuum. In the field, apply the CocoTap to a tender nut - while it is on the bunch and the bunch is still on the palm - and open the valve.

Is the water in the nut drawn into the keg? Can the procedure be repeated on the other nuts on that bunch and on other bunches on other palms?

Good luck

Hugh

b...@eth.net

Nov 29, 2009, 9:01:56 PM11/29/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
sir,
the tender coconut article is fine, we should find a way for freshnut dispenser at low cost. this coc tap is not
working on 8 month tender coconut with fiber and hard shell
we are working on a small opener which even 10 year old can operate with out stress but thw problem
is with hard nut. i wlll make a photo of the tool and send athe earliest
with regards
p.sekar
> I cannot disagree with your opinions (although I hope that coconut
> breedingis a scientific art) but can you overcome the problem of
> disposing of the
> "empties" that litter the beach at Rio?
>
> David
> Despite my diatribe on letting nuts fall naturally, instead of
> mechanizingtheir harvesting, I accept that "Some equipment still
> seems to be needed"
> for the big, annually increasing, tender coconut market before his
> replantedhybrid palms grow out of reach after some years.
>
> Both of you
> Here is an idea to think about.
>
> Try attaching a "CocoTap" to a length of flexible pressure tubing
> that is
> connected, through a valve, to an empty metal keg from which the
> contents(beer) have been removed and replaced by a hard vacuum. In

Paul Richardson

Nov 30, 2009, 1:02:41 AM11/30/09
to Coconut
Thank you Hugh,
indeed art and science become one!
Australian experience with bottle recycling would suggest a deposit
could be charged on a drinking coconut to generate more economy out of
the return to a collection point or recycler. There is already
considerable reuse in soil-less horticulture particularly gerbera
cultivation as well as range of products made from landfill
"empty"coconut yet shortening the path to the recycler could improve
operations like www.cocoverderj.com.br

Your idea of in-situ tender coconut milking is intriguing however it
imposes the unnecessary risk of dodging empty smelly coconuts from the
previous harvest. I would prefer to be safe in the crown of the palm
to safely lower the premium drinking bunches on ropes, in terms of
harvesting equipment: the Indian climbing frame is the best device
I've used and could be improved with modern light weight materials,
though my preference would be the "American hydraulic ladder truck" as
used by highrise firefighters. These being unavailable here I opt for
fixed ladders, fixed safety lines, permanent rope ladders, traditional
climbing techniques, rungs attached to the trunk, and have even heard
of remote control helicopters being employed to put safety lines in
palms.

With respect to Mr Sekars comments the cocotap is over built and
designed to easily penetrate very hard shell (up to 11 months) some
technique is required like everything and perhaps the instructions
need to be communicated more clearly. I will endeavor to post video on
website. I appreciate the cost could be reduced if manufactured
outside Australia.
one day!
regards,
Paul

On Nov 30, 5:41 am, Hugh Harries <hugh.harr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Richardson & David Lobo
>
> Paul
> I cannot disagree with your opinions (although I hope that coconut breeding
> is a scientific art) but can you overcome the problem of disposing of the
> "empties" that litter the beach at Rio?
>
> David
> Despite my diatribe on letting nuts fall naturally, instead of mechanizing
> their harvesting, I accept that "Some equipment still seems to be needed"
> for the big, annually increasing, tender coconut market before his replanted
> hybrid palms grow out of reach after some years.
>
> Both of you
> Here is an idea to think about.
>
> Try attaching a "CocoTap" to a length of flexible pressure tubing that is
> connected, through a valve, to an empty metal keg from which the contents
> (beer) have been removed and replaced by a hard vacuum. In the field, apply
> the CocoTap to a tender nut - while it is on the bunch and the bunch is
> still on the palm - and open the valve.
>
> Is the water in the nut drawn into the keg? Can the procedure be repeated on
> the other nuts on that bunch and on other bunches on other palms?
>
> Good luck
>
> Hugh

David Lobo

Nov 30, 2009, 9:54:38 AM11/30/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,
Thank you.  The information is very useful.  We do have a problem of litter.  Huge piles of empty coconuts are terrible where no proper solution is in place. Work is going on in a research station in south India to use the entire empty tender nut for conversion into board or some thing similar.
Best,
David

2009/11/29 Paul Richardson <paulr...@hotmail.com>

Having difficulty accessing the group website ? Get help by writing, in confidence, to coconu...@googlegroups.com

Getting too many emails? The abridged email option (no more than 1 email per day) gives a summary of new activity each day; the digest email option (approximately 1 email per day) gives up to 25 full new messages bundled into a single email. For more options, go to http://groups.google.com/group/coconut/subscribe

David Lobo

Nov 30, 2009, 11:09:14 AM11/30/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul and Hugh,
Interesting.
Lets put our thinking caps on.

On another note,  recently I met a person in Goa, India, who has started using coconut wood for building [differently from traditional use of cocount trunks for building.]  He informed me that removal of the pith portion leaves a really hard wood, with a higher specific gravity than teak wood.  He is building a modern home with it.  Let me find his website and I will pass it on.

Best,
David

2009/11/30 Paul Richardson <paulr...@hotmail.com>

Having difficulty accessing the group website ? Get help by writing, in confidence, to coconu...@googlegroups.com

Getting too many emails? The abridged email option (no more than 1 email per day) gives a summary of new activity each day; the digest email option (approximately 1 email per day) gives up to 25 full new messages bundled into a single email. For more options, go to http://groups.google.com/group/coconut/subscribe

Vinay Chand

Dec 8, 2009, 2:50:29 PM12/8/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,

I have been thinking about how much I agree with your argument. Coconut water is in my opinion a truly great and perfectly packaged drink. In 1979 we tried to popularise it and focussed on Tetra Pak packaging. This was because there was no way of preserving anything much of the flavour but packaging then became too large a part of the price so we gave up. Later I met Fin Rosa in the Philippines at Zytek who had worked out a sort of individual life support system for coconuts but life support is truly expensive.

There were recent arguments that suggested that there had been a breakthrough in preserving the flavour, a paper at APCC in Fiji and news of Zyco and Coco Vita. I thought they were using some innovative technology and packaging, certainly that is the impression you get from their web site but I think now that it is simply our old friend Tetra Pak and no great advance has been made. I tasted it and the flavour was not even in the same league as the fresh product. I will not be buying it again. So we are back at the drawing board.

Has anyone got a way of preserving tender coconut water or jelly nuts? I am looking. I have been looking for decades.  In fact, I was in your corner of the world on a project for the Solomon Islands last month going to all the shops and trying out coconut water drinks in cans, but they had nothing much to do with coconuts although prices were high. I have seen reports of imports of fresh tender nuts to New Zealand and you people in Australia and New Zealand are lucky in being able to freight fresh nuts as long as they are consumed very soon.

What do we do in Europe? I bought a tender coconut outside the Roundhouse in Camden Town the other day from some enterprising Jamaicans but the flavour had gone, the nuts were too old. And I paid a pound for one.

I love fresh tender coconuts but regrettably must wait until I am under the coconut tree before I can taste again one of the greatest flavours that nature bestows on us - a tender coconut!

Vinay Chand,
230, Finchley Road,
London NW36DJ,
UK
Tel:020-77945977
Fax: 020-7431 5715
www.ruraldevelopment.info

Rolle, Rosa (FAORAP)

Dec 8, 2009, 8:24:50 PM12/8/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com

FAO has developed cold preservation technologies  as well as a cold sterilization process for coconut water preservation.  These technologies preserve the delicate flavour of the product. FAO has published a document describing a simple cold preservation process.  This publication is accessible online at the above web-link

A technical guide on the cold sterilization is currently in preparation and will go to press shortly, hopefully within the first quarter of 2010.  Much of this work was undertaken in the Caribbean, and is now being disseminated in Asia and the Pacific Region.  We are aware that the cold sterilization process is commercially utilised.

Rosa S. Rolle, Ph.D
Senior Agro-Industry and Post Harvest Officer
FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
39 Phra Atit Road
Bangkok 10200, Thailand

Dec 8, 2009, 11:18:02 PM12/8/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Mr.Vijay Chand,

It is good that you have shared your experience. I am working on the same process to get through. I am able to see in Bangalore in one of the chain store the tender coconut water in Tetra pack , I bought and tasted it is 80% freshness is maintained. Hence I have now gained more confidence that I will soon get through in this project.
Regards,
M.N.Balasubramanien
Dec 9, 2009, 7:10:53 AM12/9/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr Rosa,

The link you provided and your paper at the Fiji conference are very interesting and provide a methodology for short term preservation of coconut water. This is an excellent idea mainly for coconut producing countries to be able to sell in bottles to tourists and locals instead of selling nuts. So far I have tended to buy nuts and store them in my hotel fridge. I open the coconut and what I don’t drink immediately I store in a glass in the fridge. The system FAO has worked on would allow me to buy the bottles and whenever possible I will do so as cutting into coconuts in a hotel is not an easy thing.

However, the debate on coconut water as an exportable product is based on the use of Alfa Laval plant and Tetra Pak packaging. The flavour does not survive entirely from the very brief high temperature employed and although the product is reminiscent of the real thing, it is a poor copy. Some people like the flavour of what the Brazilians are now exporting at high prices. I don’t like the flavour but that is a personal thing, supported by what Hugh has described as optimal consumption of the water.

The conclusion I reach from the FAO paper is that the description is appropriate for coconut producing countries and a few to whom it can be flown which are not too far away. But it does not provide a substitute for Tetra Pak and that is what I crave. Maybe the answer lies in aseptic packaging that is cheaper than Tetra. Hainan has been using one that is not as good in my opinion and we have the larger packs that may provide the answer.

What we don’t have is a solution. No way of preserving flavour over extended periods of time. We can reach Mars but we cannot preserve coconut water. A lot of people are going for the Tetra solution after the success of Zyco and Coco Vita. The engagement of Coca Cola and Pepsi will accelerate the process and prices will drop within two years. It is a bandwagon and there has been no great advance in technology. I was a consultant for Tetra Pak to promote their process in 1980 and although the technology is better than any other, it is not good enough for the task. I am not encouraged, I do not drink Coca Cola or Pepsi Cola or most of the products they make. But a sizeable market has developed and coconut water is fast becoming an acceptable well known beverage. So I must wish Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola well, we will benefit from their excellent distribution. I do urge a bit of caution on the part of those who are keen to join in, look at the markets first.

Marcos Freire

Dec 9, 2009, 8:05:05 AM12/9/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vinay,
I've been following this discussion for a while.
In a recent trip to Brazil we found that bottled coconut water (in regular plastic bottles -- just like regular water) is quite good, even if not at the same level of fresh from the nut water.
A problem with the plastic bottles is the short shelf-life. Even if this is a problem for exporting the product, it should put to much of a burden on local (in-country) consumption.
Although we really like the water fresh from the coconut. This was a close second for easy of transportation and markatability.

Marcos Freire
Research Coordinator
Farmer Income Support Project
Mozambique

Vinay Chand wrote:
Dear Dr Rosa,
�
[...]
��
Vinay Chand,
230, Finchley Road,
London NW36DJ,
UK
Tel:020-77945977
[...]
Tel:�� (+66-2) 697-4194
�

Having difficulty accessing the group website ? Get help by writing, in confidence, to coconu...@googlegroups.com
�

Getting too many emails? The abridged email option (no more than 1 email per day) gives a summary of new activity each day; the digest email option (approximately 1 email per day) gives up to 25 full new messages bundled into a single email. For more options, go to http://groups.google.com/group/coconut/subscribe
�

Rolle, Rosa (FAORAP)

Dec 9, 2009, 8:17:56 AM12/9/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vinay

I wish to clarify that the FAO Good Practice Guide which you have reviewed
describes a cold preservation process for coconut water - which is
appropriate in local markets.

Production of cold sterlized coconut water employs microfilration technology.
The sterile product must be bottled under aseptic conditions - and has a
shelf-life of at least six months. I have had reports of a shelf-life of 1
year.

Rosa S. Rolle, Ph.D
Senior Agro-Industry and Post Harvest Officer
FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
39 Phra Atit Road
Bangkok 10200, Thailand

Tel: (+66-2) 697-4194
Fax: (+ 66-2) 697-4445

www.ruraldevelopment.info <http://www.ruraldevelopment.info/>

Vinay Chand

Dec 9, 2009, 11:00:10 AM12/9/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rosa,

that is very interesting indeed. When is the cold sterilisation process paper going to become available. 6 months shelf life is long enough for some market development work. How far did you take your work? Did you test the taste and shelf life? Has the bottle got to be of special material or just PET. Can glass be used?

For my recent work in the Solomon Islands I have been going around tasting coconut products again. The worst were those flavoured or sugared tins, which incidentally sell for high prices. The Tetra product was far too sweet and to me had an off flavour.

Vinay Chand,
230, Finchley Road,
London NW36DJ,
UK
Tel:020-77945977
Fax: 020-7431 5715
www.ruraldevelopment.info

Rolle, Rosa (FAORAP)

Dec 9, 2009, 7:11:38 PM12/9/09
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vinay

FAO's work on cold preservation of tender coconut water was initiated some fifteen years ago, in order to address the specific need for coconut water that maintains its original delicate flavour with an extended shelf-life, following requests from member countries in the Caribbean region. Over the years FAO has supported quite a lot of background work and research on coconut water which will be documented in the up-coming guide. Packaging of the microfiltered product under aseptic conditions is key.

We will announce publication of the new guide through this medium when in print.  Hopefully within the first quarter of 2010.

Kind regards
Rosa Rolle
FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific

Dec 9, 2009, 7:57:51 PM12/9/09
to Coconut
Dear Vinay,
I originally developed the cocotap to sample coconut water whilst in
the crown of the palm. To determine which bunches had reached the
required sweetness and in particular the fizzy quality that Hugh
refers to, which is from slightly more mature nuts, rather than
altitude. These emerging dissolved gases are, in this part of the
world, the champagne or optimum drinking coconuts. From here the
problem is preservation of husk appearance as much as flavor. This
bruise-able husk suffers moisture loss and discolors with rough
handling. We find that the first half of a pallet box sells very fast
but the joy of handling whole fruit leaves the rest of the stock
looking worse for wear and becomes unsaleable. Now price for fresh
product in Australia out-strips Coke and Pepsi and desire for alive
fresh product, based on past peak coconut experiences, is that is what
drives the consumption of our best attempts to preserve the living
product.That and the wonderful health claims that are made about "the
real thing"
I have seen studies from Philippines which demonstrate that coconut
jelly/kernel continues be deposited for up to 9 weeks if kept at
suitable temperature in a moist environment and out of direct sun. I
know shelf life of semi carved tender nuts to be around 45 days but
suspect this reduction occurs due to removing part of protective
coating and by dipping in metabi-sulfate
incidentally this shelf life is extended in our local market even
after fumigation with methyl bromide. Refrigeration is like the final
straw. There is little resemblence to the real thing and often a faint
purpleish tinge to the soft meat which is personally off putting. We
learnt that mature coconut imports in refrigerated containers was a
error. This was to prevent the kernel sprouting in transit yet this
would be have been a healthier better tasting product.

I would propose designing a life support system for the fresh nut that
simply prevented moisture loss and hid the bruises on the husk. Like a
printed shrinkwrap around whole fruit with perhaps removal of calyx
and wax seal to prevent bio-security risk.

There are certainly coconut varieties with very thin husks which are
well sized. Promoting the utilization of this green husk in the home
(cut into pot scrubbers, rubbed onto insect bites, used in home garden
etc) is also beneficial in connecting non tropical consumers to
producers through better understanding of the coconut and long term
traditional uses. This ultimately drives demand for other coconut
based manufactured products, thirst for knowledge and tropical tourism
where the taste-buds can be "updated".

I appreciate the directive to remove messy husks from urban areas but
suggest that this problem is more easily solved where it is seen with
recycling within the urban environment. Be it city garden projects as
we see taking off in the US or industrial extraction of husk juices
and coir processing The value remains with the fresh and alive product
which so many like you will always long for. In some ways,
availability of fresh coconut provids a link to home for rural people
residing in the city.

Attempts to present the whole fruit outside of the tropics, as well
as outside the farm, has many long term advantages for the industry
overall. If we can travel to Mars then is must be a better way.

I'm aware of several attempts by distributors of tetra pak coco-juice
to provide fresh tender coconuts thus maintaining the apex of demand
the true coconut lovers to yield better downstream results. In
Europe www.kulau.de use a mobile water extraction cart for promotion
and in the UK www.coconutty.co.uk do the best they can with Costa
Rican coconuts which have already had 3 weeks on a ship. They are home
delivered (minimizing bruised appearance) as soon as they arrive and
dispatched with a shelf life of 5-8 days. One customer regularly
buying 4 boxes of 12 per week which she claims to have done wonders
for her autistic child.

There are a multitude of "raw food" establishments springing up in the
US serving young coconut meat in all manner of dishes. The latest I
heard is from Manhattan where one can buy a "Popeye juice" which is
fresh spinach blended with tender coconut flesh and water.
My point is, applying best efforts into the peak ALIVE product will
increase value through out the sector, further educate the market,
give the high end consumer a chance to pay for the best technology can
deliver, meanwhile opening doors for improved coconut vending and
associated tourism.
The real value of tender coconut is often recognized in a crisis
situations, isn't this the time for environmental, health, and
nutritional solutions.. Coke and Pepsi think so.

kindest regards,
Paul