"Federal Cloud Computing Initiative" presentation from GSA

Bob Marcus

Aug 2, 2009, 5:26:06 PM8/2/09
to cloud...@googlegroups.com, CloudSt...@googlegroups.com, CloudS...@googlegroups.com
This is a link to a  presentation on the Federal Cloud Computing Initiative by Katie Lewin of GSA on June 18 describing some plans beyond the GSA's IaaS Request for Quote (RFQ)..  An audio recording of her talk and a follow-on presentation about the USA.gov Web site is also available. Note the rapid preliminary delivery schedule on slide 11 for IaaS, SaaS and PaaS resources available through the Cloud Storefront. There will probably be a slowdown in the  actual deployment.  However the RFQs will be used as a baseline for future Cloud procurements by many governments and enterprises.

I have invited GSA to give a talk at the Session on the "Best Practices for Cloud Initiatives using Storefronts" on September 21.  One focus of the Session will be the minimal standards required for the  "creation of a  services-based environment that is interoperable and standards-based" as called out in Slide 10 of her presentation.  This type of environment will be necessary for sharing, interfacing, and moving resources across multiple Clouds.

Reuven Cohen

Aug 2, 2009, 6:19:04 PM8/2/09
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Bob, thanks for sharing this presentation with us.

R/c

Rao Dronamraju

Aug 2, 2009, 6:26:41 PM8/2/09
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

The presentation is a good one!.

Derik Derik

Aug 3, 2009, 9:02:03 AM8/3/09
to Cloud Computing Interoperability Forum (CCIF)
Thanks for sharing. It seems that the "Cloud Storefront" is another
term for Service Catalog as defined in the ITIL process and framework.
I think standardizing is a good thing. It seems we are now creating
many words that mean the same thing and many different things with the
same word (which makes standardizing an interesting challenge). All
the same, it seems that the ITI being repositioned as the Federal
Cloud PMO makes sense. I would be interested to see how all this gets
integrated with the FEA (I believe, someone is moving this along).
More importantly, I wonder how the FEA (future cloud centric version)
would be governed. After all, without governance there could be quite
a pickle. I assume the PMO does have some old experienced architects
to ask questions and shape the whole thing. It appears that, so far,
the whole cloud PMO is composed of CIOs (hmm, usually 18mo tenure in
the private sector ... not sure about government). Is there some
Chief Architect (with a whole team of domain architects involved)? I
think there indeed may be a feeding frenzy by all the hardware/
software vendors jumping in here. Hopefully, the Federal Cloud does
not become just a brand x hardware (infrastructure) with brand y
(middleware/platform) from vendors faking "openness".