This one of the most important posts on this group Re: [ Cloud Computing ] Re: Amazon enterprise management solution

Miha Ahronovitz

Jun 18, 2009, 1:09:45 PM6/18/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Dale,

Your posting is a landmark on this group. This is for the first time that someone (you, Dale) documented the NEED for a billing system in Private Clouds. As Product manager, we avoid to have the customers tell us how to design our software (although we always listen). We want to decipher the real NEED.

- Keep track of who in the company is using the service

Solution: Internal billing (even if bills are not paid). However in Sun Grid Engine we have an external Data Base ARCo (Accounting and Reporting Remote Console), that can report the exact historical usage report with all the fields you specify. We call this 'Observability", which is just one step below billing. See the documentation on line:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/gridengine62u3/Accounting+and+Reporting+Console

- Manage the bill centrally instead of everyone submit their usage for reimbursement

This names the solution. Brilliant request

- Set permissions to a group of people on what S3 data they can read/write and what EC2 instances they can run.

This is achieved today by cloud resource managers like Sun Grid Engine and its internal module Service Domain Manager. It is not a billing issue, it is an access rights issue. See how Sun grid Engine manages user access here:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/gridengine62u3/Managing+User+Access

- Set budget limit on what each user can use.

I have already commented on this one. Brilliant!

Bottom line: There are very interesting threads on this group: PaaS, Saas, Database Scalability, Security, etc. But all these threads, while valid in any Data Center discussion, have total secondary role in defining a Private cloud.

I belong to the small group of people here who said 8 months ago, that without billing, there is no cloud. Now our number grew considerably.

Over 90% of the CIO's want the information you requested, without giving up control. There are 0% companies or start ups, in spite of the claims of many, that can offer a private cloud with billing solution today.

Doesn't this sound to us ALL as a hell of an opportunity? Yes it does. Except that 99% of the people on this group never did or design billing. The most superb software architects considered (until now) this subject beneath them.

cheers,

Miha

Jul 10, 2009, 1:54:41 PM7/10/09
to Cloud Computing
Univa UD is offering the first ever HPC Cloud with charge-back. The
product is called UniCloud and OEMs Sun Grid Engine as one of the
modules.

http://www.univaud.com/hpc/products/unicloud.php

Miha