Compute Capacity Equivalent to EC2

Geva Perry

Mar 2, 2009, 11:53:50 PM3/2/09
to Cloud Computing
Has anyone conducted any benchmarks they can share that compare
traditional hardware to EC2 in terms of compute capacity (or really,
overall server equivalence)?

Amazon gives a very high level and somewhat unclear explanation, and
essentially say that the only way to really know is to run a
benchmark. So has anyone done that?

Here's Amazon's explanation: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

Thanks,
Geva

JimL

Mar 3, 2009, 4:56:26 AM3/3/09
to Cloud Computing
Geva,

Have a look at this post from another blog I contribute to :
http://www.cloudiquity.com/2009/01/amazon-ec2-instances-and-cpuinfo/.

Here we post the results from /proc/cpuinfo for each of the EC2
instance types.

Also look at: http://www.cloudiquity.com/2009/01/amazon-ec2-network-and-s3-performance/
where we have a look at E2 network and S3 performance.

Hope this helps

Jim

Jim Liddle
http://www.gigaspaces.com/cloud

JL Valente

Mar 3, 2009, 2:11:02 AM3/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Geva

Please check project zeppelin on sourceforge. It supports exactly what you are looking for in terms of benchmarking thru DMTF lmbench. It was designed for the same reason that there is no other way to verify availability to promise and that a user really gets what it pays for.

Geva Perry

Mar 3, 2009, 5:05:03 AM3/3/09
to Cloud Computing
P.S. I wrote about the issue in greater detail in my blog, explaining
the problem with Amazon's "EC2 Compute Units":
http://gevaperry.typepad.com/main/2009/03/figuring-out-the-roi-of-infrastructureasaservice.html

Geva

Max

Mar 4, 2009, 4:30:39 PM3/4/09
to Cloud Computing
Very interesting indeed! Thank you for you job.

Is there benchmark that measures bandwidth out side of amazon?

Max