Compute surface as a traded commodity?

Simon Plant

Dec 16, 2008, 7:03:26 AM12/16/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Bruce wrote:
>Will the "Cloud" ever become a pool of hosting providers who pitch their prices, SLA's and storage cost so customers will come to their "cloud" for services?

I foresee a time into the future where the compute surface is virtualized and standardized enough that hosting contracts can be traded as a commodity on a market, rather than the RFP type process we have today.

Such agreement would allow business to place a deal on an exchange much like FX today and get bids to run based on some parameters. IT hosters would price the deal with a spread in the same way as a currency trade today, the deal done in a matter of seconds and hosted for the duration of a contract window.

If virtualization vendors deliver on their hybrid end-vision, this could be a reality of packaging workloads with SLA manifests and using internet vMotion-type tools to migrate. It would fundamentally change the way we write software frameworks and applications themselves to be more self contained and highly standardized to achieve the best 'tradability'.

Interoperability via standards between VM platforms, portability of data, code business logic and processes are all key to how we build out the Cloud.

Such openness may be a far extreme view, but would you want the opposite view of the world where switching costs and lock-in are extremely constraining and we are forever stuck in a platform cycle of distribute-and-consolidate?

Simon Plant

wayne pauley

Dec 16, 2008, 9:39:27 AM12/16/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

> Bruce wrote:
> >Will the "Cloud" ever become a pool of hosting providers who pitch their prices, SLA's and storage cost so customers will come to their "cloud" for services?
>
> I foresee a time into the future where the compute surface is virtualized and standardized enough that hosting contracts can be traded as a commodity on a market, rather than the RFP type process we have today.
>
> Such agreement would allow business to place a deal on an exchange much like FX today and get bids to run based on some parameters. IT hosters would price the deal with a spread in the same way as a currency trade today, the deal done in a matter of seconds and hosted for the duration of a contract window.

I think it will go much further than that. Consider how an IP connection is negotiated today without human intervention! There is no reason why a workload can't be autonomically negotiated by the private cloud with different providers in the public based on an autonomic-SLA. While we are a long way from this - I think this is the vision that some of us see as the future of cloud computing. Infrastructure will self-manage and our focus will be on helping the software become far more self-sufficient.

In the meantime - we need to focus our efforts on the challenges in front of us - private-to-public (and public-to-public) migrations, autonomics, SLA automation, security and privacy improvements, stack orchestration, improved discovery and self-wareness, and eventually standards.

-w

Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your Hotmail® account now.

Simon Plant

Dec 16, 2008, 2:55:32 PM12/16/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
2008/12/16 wayne pauley <wayne_...@hotmail.com>

>In the meantime - we need to focus our efforts on the challenges in front of us - private-to-public (and public-to-public) migrations, autonomics, SLA automation, security and privacy improvements, stack orchestration, improved discovery and self-wareness, and eventually standards.

@Wayne, I agree entirely. I'm interested in outlining an end-game to work towards, but certainly for right now the issue I have is getting applications/services on the same virtualization platform internally and externally in a hybrid model, and migrating workloads in and out of the firewall as demand and capacity requires.

@Jim, I harp back to standards of vm's, AMI's and templates and writing the applications appropriately on top. VMWare started this discussion at least with their Open Virtualization Format (http://www.vmware.com/interfaces/ovf.html)

Right now I don't see a solution for either, unless I'm missing something?

Simon Plant

JL Valente

Dec 16, 2008, 4:52:17 PM12/16/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

As usual on this group we have very different camps and opinions which makes the whole debate quite useful.
But again I don't think that this an either/or proposition. It depends who the "end user" is really.
Some of the ones we are dealing with go deep and require serious metrics and understanding of what they are really getting from their cloud provider.

Dec 16, 2008, 5:38:43 PM12/16/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com, jlva...@cittio.com
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:52:17 -0500
"JL Valente" <jlva...@cittio.com> wrote:

> As usual on this group we have very different camps and opinions which makes
> the whole debate quite useful. But again I don't think that this an either/or
> proposition. It depends who the "end user" is really. Some of the ones we are
> dealing with go deep and require serious metrics and understanding of what
> they are really getting from their cloud provider.

MAybe from a sales perspective, but if we are truly talking about getting 'IaaS
units' traded as a commodity in some future, it probably better be just one,
agreed-upon set of metrics.

I think we have a general consensus that this involves much more than hardware
stats, including external-to-the-host factors like latency and throughput
in/out of the facility and internal choices like VMM versions and
configurations (with both versions and configurations, there are a LOT of
precarious things that will affect performance).

I don't see how it could be done without a set of comprehensive benchmarks
routinely run on the providers (hopefully by auditors we can trust).

Tim
> at the pump. Now, I don't know what goes into the regular gasoline blend___how
> much is West Texas sweet light, or Brent light or Saudi heavy oil___and, guess
> what, I don't care. The regular gasoline is good enough for my 8-year old
> Jeep and that's all that I need to know. Similarly, end users don't want to
> be confused by a huge menu of CPU speeds, memory allocations, bus speeds,
> etc. ___ if you keep it simple, then they will get it (as long as they can

JL Valente

Dec 16, 2008, 5:41:48 PM12/16/08
to Tim Freeman, cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Wholeheartedly agree on all your points including the last one.

sh...@viawest.net

Dec 16, 2008, 9:17:10 PM12/16/08
to Cloud Computing
Simon,

Note that OVF is now a standard at DMTF, and has been implemented by
many of the virtualization vendors.

Steve Hand

On Dec 16, 12:55 pm, "Simon Plant" <si.pl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/16 wayne pauley <wayne_pau...@hotmail.com>>In the meantime - we need to focus our efforts on the challenges in front

Shane Brauner

Dec 17, 2008, 2:03:03 PM12/17/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com, jlva...@cittio.com
At the end of the day, you want to make sure you get what you pay for, and only pay for what you want and care about.

You can parse this down to clock speed, GB Memory per core, bandwidth & latency - but at the end of the day, what really matters is your application's end-to-end performance.  When someone hits your application, how fast does it respond?  Does that response rate hold true under 10000x load?  And in a federated cloud where you've got your 10gen App server running on a compute system at Peer1 using storage from S3 - whose throat do you choke if that magic number isn't met?

That kind of accoutability/SLA/performance is going to be a cost driver for many organizations.  Add to that the complexity and cost of things like audits and corporate compliance, and $/cpu hr doesn't quite cover things.

If youv'e set up a compute grid between organizations (even on a campus or within a company), you know that the politics and SLAs involved are just as (if not more!) challenging than the technical side of just getting it to work.

It's going to be interesting to see how the market adapts to these challenges

Shane
--
http://www.10gen.com/
http://twitter.com/shanebrauner