[ANN] appengine-magic 0.3.0: Clojure on Google App Engine

Constantine Vetoshev

Nov 23, 2010, 11:55:25 AM11/23/10
to Clojure
I would like to announce the release of appengine-magic version 0.3.0,
a library designed to make it easier to write Clojure applications for
Google App Engine.

appengine-magic abstracts away nearly all the boilerplate necessary to
deploy an App Engine application. It also enables interactive
development through the REPL. The new version has full support for
many App Engine services: the datastore, memcache, user Google account
authentication, the blobstore, sending and receiving email, task
queues, and remote URL access.

http://github.com/gcv/appengine-magic

The library is available in Clojars. The README file fully documents
the available API.

Comments, bug reports, questions, and patches welcome.

Thanks,
Constantine Vetoshev

Vesa Marttila

Nov 24, 2010, 6:41:10 AM11/24/10
to Clojure
On Nov 23, 6:55 pm, Constantine Vetoshev <gepar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> appengine-magic abstracts away nearly all the boilerplate necessary to
> deploy an App Engine application. It also enables interactive
> development through the REPL. The new version has full support for
> many App Engine services: the datastore, memcache, user Google account
> authentication, the blobstore, sending and receiving email, task
> queues, and remote URL access.

Hi!

I've been playing around with appengine-magic and I've so far been
very
satisfied so thank you for it.

I have a question about this release: I understood from this release
announcement that entities can be saved from the REPL, but I was not
able to do so and the official documentation still states that it
can't be
done, which is the case?

--
Vesa Marttila

Constantine Vetoshev

Nov 24, 2010, 12:58:48 PM11/24/10
to Clojure
On Nov 24, 6:41 am, Vesa Marttila <vtmartt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about this release: I understood from this release
> announcement that entities can be saved from the REPL, but I was not
> able to do so and the official documentation still states that it
> can't be
> done, which is the case?

You can't directly use datastore functions from the REPL. When I said
"interactive development through the REPL", I meant the ability to
recompile individual files and functions inside a running application
— this definitely works across the board; it was a design requirement
for appengine-magic. You need to use an editor-linked REPL for this
functionality, such as SLIME. I believe VimClojure, Enclojure
(NetBeans), Counterclockwise (Eclipse), and La Clojure (IntelliJ IDEA)
should also work, but do not use them myself.

That said, I hear you loud and clear. Several other people have asked
me about making it possible to use the datastore from the REPL. I
actually tried to get that into this release, but it requires a decent
amount of hackery. I'll see what I can do about putting this into the
next release.

Vesa Marttila

Nov 24, 2010, 6:50:49 PM11/24/10
to Clojure
On Nov 24, 7:58 pm, Constantine Vetoshev <gepar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can't directly use datastore functions from the REPL. When I said
> "interactive development through the REPL", I meant the ability to
> recompile individual files and functions inside a running application
> — this definitely works across the board; it was a design requirement
> for appengine-magic.

I can verify that everything else does work very well.

> That said, I hear you loud and clear. Several other people have asked
> me about making it possible to use the datastore from the REPL. I
> actually tried to get that into this release, but it requires a decent
> amount of hackery. I'll see what I can do about putting this into the
> next release.

Understood! Good to know it is possible at least on some level.

--
Vesa Marttila