Wrigley Field Sale

Mark Anderson

Dec 14, 2007, 6:59:11 PM12/14/07
After reading the latest article about Sam Zell's attempt to dump
Wrigley Field onto Illinois taxpayers I'm a bit confused. According to:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/696911,CST-NWS-wrig14.article

Zell is only asking $1 for the stadium with an obligation to finance a
$350M renovation -- which Wrigley badly needs. The article also
mentions increasing the skyboxes from 62 to 150. The only way this is
possible is if they rip off the upper deck and rebuild it two decks
higher -- something I've advocated for a long time. The
preservationists and Wrigley's corporate neighbors (I.e. rooftop
freeloaders across the street who organize all "neighborhood" protests)
would probably fiercely oppose this but this is really necessary to
bring Wrigley into the 21st century. The upper deck structure will need
to be completely rebuilt one day no matter who ends up owning the Cubs.
That falling concrete a couple of years ago was probably a symptom of
larger problems that will resurface and get worse over the next decade
unless the structure is rebuild to modern standards. If they tear down
the upper decks they may as well build up.

I first thought that this plan was ludicrous until I read that Zell is
basically giving the stadium and land away. Depending on how the
numbers work out with rent, maintenance, etc. the state could possibly
make money on this deal. I don't understand why Zell would do this but
he's an order of magnitude smarter than me so there must be a good
reason. Perhaps all the friction from the city the Tribune encountered
during the bleacher renovations meant that any new owner would have an
uphill battle to get anything changed at Wrigley. Perhaps the property
taxes in that area are getting high and providing a new owner with a
fixed known rent for 30 years is more desirable than some unknown. That
land is probably not cheap to rent from the county and with taxes
increasing by leaps and bounds here due to corruption, a new owner might
want to mitigate that risk.

Anyway, I find this interesting. I don't support public financing of
sports stadia but this situation may be different if the numbers work
out. Does anyone know what kind of profit the state makes off of
Soldier Field of Comiskey each year? I would assume both those stadiums
are losers since the White Sox have attendance problems and the Bears
only play 10 games a year which I doubt hardly covers the ~$500M spent
by taxpayers to renovate Soldier Field. The Cubs, on the other hand,
are a pretty sure thing and have pretty solid attendance numbers.

Since the Cubs will sell at a premium, I would assume the new owners
will be highly leveraged and unlike the Tribune who spent their own
money on renovations and repairs at Wrigley over the years, the new
owners will almost certainly threaten to move the Cubs in order to
extract corporate welfare from taxpayers. Perhaps it's better to deal
with Zell now than deal with whoever ends up buying a Cubs/Wrigley Field
package later.

If the Cubs end up in Schaumburg in a new stadium built with corporate
welfare, I'll be happy to end my burden of having to endure following
the Cubs every spring and summer.

Message has been deleted

Brent P

Dec 14, 2007, 10:34:16 PM12/14/07
In article <MPG.21ccd4ca7...@chi.news.speakeasy.net>, Mark Anderson wrote:
> Anyway, I find this interesting. I don't support public financing of
> sports stadia but this situation may be different if the numbers work
> out. Does anyone know what kind of profit the state makes off of
> Soldier Field of Comiskey each year? I would assume both those stadiums
> are losers since the White Sox have attendance problems and the Bears
> only play 10 games a year which I doubt hardly covers the ~$500M spent
> by taxpayers to renovate Soldier Field. The Cubs, on the other hand,
> are a pretty sure thing and have pretty solid attendance numbers.

Reinsdorf's deal is very sweet. His 'rent' is probably zero or close
to it. As far as other costs I don't know. Found a 1988 article on it on
line: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DEEDC153CF931A35754C0A96E948260
Basically the thing is paid for through taxes. The land was taken from
people by the government. I don't know who gets the parking revenue.

> Since the Cubs will sell at a premium, I would assume the new owners
> will be highly leveraged and unlike the Tribune who spent their own
> money on renovations and repairs at Wrigley over the years, the new
> owners will almost certainly threaten to move the Cubs in order to
> extract corporate welfare from taxpayers. Perhaps it's better to deal
> with Zell now than deal with whoever ends up buying a Cubs/Wrigley Field
> package later.

Let them leave. They should have let the sox and bears leave too. But
sports and the stadiums they play in still serve the same purposes for
governments as they did in the Roman empire.

> If the Cubs end up in Schaumburg in a new stadium built with corporate
> welfare, I'll be happy to end my burden of having to endure following
> the Cubs every spring and summer.

And Wrigley field could be a much better beer garden without the
distraction of a baseball game and the beer choice restrictions of a
sports stadium ;)

Geoff Gass

Dec 15, 2007, 12:02:20 AM12/15/07
Kristian M Zoerhoff <kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know what the Cubs pay per year? Cook County's web site only seems
> to allow searches by property PIN, not address.

The treasurer's website only allows by pin. The assesor's has an
address lookup. 1060 w addison doesn't come up with anything though.
A little poking found that the county calls it 3600 n sheffield. PIN is
14-20-227-001-0000, $1.15M last year.

spb...@yahoo.com

Dec 15, 2007, 6:01:13 AM12/15/07
If you want a Major League Baseball Team in the Chicago Market playing
in a new domed stadium in Schaumburg, you can buy the White Sox for
about $600 million. If you buy the Chicago Cubs for $1 billion, the
premium you have to pay over the cost of the White Sox represents in
very large part the value of Wrigley Field, the single most valuable
piece of baseball real estate in the United States. No one, and I
mean, absolutely NO ONE, is going to finance a $1 billion purchase of
the Chicago Cubs without the absolute assurance that the team is going
to be playing at Wrigley Field. Not in this risk-averse credit
market, not in any credit market.

While the lenders must be completely confident that the team will play
at Wrigley Field, they will have not the slightest objection if the
borrower tells the public that he is planning to move the team to
Schaumburg, if that enables the borrower to minimize the cost of
making needed improvements to Wrigley Field and thereby reduce the
lenders' risk. And it is almost certain that the business plans that
all of the prospective buyers have drawn up include such a strategy.
It is a tried and true part of the professional sports racket.

Mr. Zell has correctly reasoned that whoever buys the team will spend
a rather modest amount to grease the wheels government in order to
procure public financing of improvements to Wrigley Field, securing
the cooperation of public officials in moving money from the citizens'
pockets to their own. But he has further reasoned that he can secure
that public financing at a lower cost than the new owners, not only
because a new owner's threat to move the team will incur a certain
amount of ill will in the fan base with possible consequences for
future revenue, but also because it will be easier to convince the
public that some unidentified future owner might move the team than an
actual owner, already known not to be a moron. Thus the deal will be
more profitable if he secures the financing of the stadium
improvements beforehand and exacts a correspondingly higher price for
the team.

Winnemac Mike

Dec 15, 2007, 6:16:23 AM12/15/07
You might be surprised how many of us in the poor burbs would love to watch
the Cubs play in a decent stadium with parking and a good scoreboard.

<spb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Eric

Dec 15, 2007, 12:05:00 PM12/15/07
Geoff Gass <g...@tanzenmb.com> wrote in

Kind of puts my property tax bill in perspective.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2007, 12:08:45 PM12/15/07
On Dec 15, 3:16 am, "Winnemac Mike" <longl...@mc.net> wrote:
> You might be surprised how many of us in the poor burbs would love to watch
> the Cubs play in a decent stadium with parking and a good scoreboard.

Why, when you could just watch the Scumbag Squirrels or whatever that
single-A team is called? Five dollar parking, eight dollar box seats,
two dollar beers, right? Watching the Flubs bumble about live can't be
that great in and of itself.

On the other hand, as it is now you get to watch all the LIncoln Park
Trixies with their health-club trim bodies. If the Flubs move you
exchange those for all the doughy T-ball moms.

Thurston Howell IV

Dec 15, 2007, 5:16:37 PM12/15/07
Wrigley needs to be blown-up. The new owner should fire everyone
associated with Cubs (except Lou). THEN.....maybe......the Cubs can be
turned around with a new stadium.

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 03:01:13 -0800 (PST), spb...@yahoo.com wrote:

<snip!>

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 15, 2007, 8:56:18 PM12/15/07
Thurston Howell IV <thow...@later.com> wrote:

>Wrigley needs to be blown-up. The new owner should fire everyone
>associated with Cubs (except Lou). THEN.....maybe......the Cubs can be
>turned around with a new stadium.

Oh! It's the STADIUM that's been responsible for critical losses.

Brent P

Dec 15, 2007, 9:20:08 PM12/15/07

> While the lenders must be completely confident that the team will play
> at Wrigley Field, they will have not the slightest objection if the
> borrower tells the public that he is planning to move the team to
> Schaumburg, if that enables the borrower to minimize the cost of
> making needed improvements to Wrigley Field and thereby reduce the
> lenders' risk. And it is almost certain that the business plans that
> all of the prospective buyers have drawn up include such a strategy.
> It is a tried and true part of the professional sports racket.

So the bluff should be called.

Brent P

Dec 15, 2007, 9:21:39 PM12/15/07

They are cursed for not letting that goat in there.....

Thurston Howell IV

Dec 16, 2007, 5:20:02 PM12/16/07
You are EXACTLY right. The large population market and the small
stadium means a lazy attitude because lets face it...the team could
have your mother and 8 other fags and still fill the stadium and the
bottom line is actually better off cause yr maw works cheap.

JG

Dec 16, 2007, 5:50:36 PM12/16/07

> You might be surprised how many of us in the poor burbs would love to watch
> the Cubs play in a decent stadium with parking and a good scoreboard.

But not pay the extra hotel, sales, car rental..etc. taxes to
subsidize a new park.
The Addison White Sox flopped for this reason.

> >> Zell is only asking $1 for the stadium with an obligation to finance a
> >> $350M renovation -- which Wrigley badly needs. The article also
> >> mentions increasing the skyboxes from 62 to 150. The only way this is
> >> possible is if they rip off the upper deck and rebuild it two decks
> >> higher -- something I've advocated for a long time. The
> >> preservationists and Wrigley's corporate neighbors (I.e. rooftop
> >> freeloaders across the street who organize all "neighborhood" protests)
> >> would probably fiercely oppose this but this is really necessary to
> >> bring Wrigley into the 21st century. The upper deck structure will need
> >> to be completely rebuilt one day no matter who ends up owning the Cubs.
> >> That falling concrete a couple of years ago was probably a symptom of
> >> larger problems that will resurface and get worse over the next decade
> >> unless the structure is rebuild to modern standards. If they tear down
> >> the upper decks they may as well build up.

Then they might as well share the Cell. Any upper deck higher than the
current one would be a travesty.

> >> uphill battle to get anything changed at Wrigley. Perhaps the property
> >> taxes in that area are getting high and providing a new owner with a
> >> fixed known rent for 30 years is more desirable than some unknown. That
> >> land is probably not cheap to rent from the county and with taxes
> >> increasing by leaps and bounds here due to corruption, a new owner might
> >> want to mitigate that risk.

Commercial taxes are figured on "income" and subject to appeals with
big $$ lawyers representin.

kenji

Dec 16, 2007, 7:57:24 PM12/16/07
In article <f09bm3dllbcjv7sv6...@4ax.com>,
Thurston Howell IV

I used to pull my pud to ginger and maryann

Gregory Morrow

Dec 17, 2007, 1:29:52 AM12/17/07

kenji wrote:

I used to pull my pud to Mrs. Howell...that's why I turned out all queer..

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Ron T.

Dec 17, 2007, 10:31:26 AM12/17/07

"Gregory Morrow" <TheKillingOf...@mercycroft.com> wrote in message

One of my dogs has taken up chasing deer.

She just won't listen to reason.

She weighs 10 pounds, but she can run really, really fast.

I hate to think of what will happen if she catches one.

One less vet bill.

Message has been deleted

max

Dec 17, 2007, 12:19:20 PM12/17/07
In article <qDw9j.3624$HE3...@fe172.usenetserver.com>,
"Ron T." <n...@home.com> wrote:

i used to have a wee three legged dog, Haggis. Haggis was a wee thing,
a chihuahua-corgy-minipoodle or somethng else tiny.

But Haggis wasn't just a bark and roll-over dog; he would mx it up with
the neighbor's dobermutt -- he was so small he could run under the dober
mutt, and so quick he could turn inside the dobe's radius and bite him
in the dick. Repeatedly.

One day i heard this horrible shrieking and looked out to see haggis
firmly attached the mutt's ass, latched on to the base of his tail by
his hindmost teeth, a flapping in the breeze behind the helpless,
hoplessly fleeing dobermutt...

I miss him, he was a tough little fucker. I'll post a pic someday.

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome

smr

Dec 17, 2007, 1:13:09 PM12/17/07
spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> On the other hand, as it is now you get to watch all the LIncoln Park
> Trixies with their health-club trim bodies. If the Flubs move you
> exchange those for all the doughy T-ball moms.

You are one creepy old fucker.

--
smr

Ron T.

Dec 17, 2007, 2:48:23 PM12/17/07

"smr" <m...@shawnritchie.com> wrote in message

I probably would agree to that if he would have said he likes to watch
doughy T-ball moms.

I had an associate once who had a thing for very rotund black women with
asses that would't fit in the bed of a pickup truck and breasts resembling
ebony 50 lb bags of rice.

He was 5' 9", weighed about 125 lbs, and couldn't get a client supervision
on a parking violation.

The not being very adept thing...well, we could overlook that.

The 450 lb nubian fetish??

No.

You understand....an associate with a shoe fetish would be OK. I mean, you
*can* hide those in the desk drawer when a client comes in.

But....whatta ya gonna do with big mama that you had to vaseline the damn
door to get her in the office?

Ron T.

Dec 17, 2007, 3:12:32 PM12/17/07

"max" <beta...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> In article <qDw9j.3624$HE3...@fe172.usenetserver.com>,

> i used to have a wee three legged dog, Haggis. Haggis was a wee thing,
> a chihuahua-corgy-minipoodle or somethng else tiny.
>
> But Haggis wasn't just a bark and roll-over dog; he would mx it up with
> the neighbor's dobermutt -- he was so small he could run under the dober
> mutt, and so quick he could turn inside the dobe's radius and bite him
> in the dick. Repeatedly.
>
> One day i heard this horrible shrieking and looked out to see haggis
> firmly attached the mutt's ass, latched on to the base of his tail by
> his hindmost teeth, a flapping in the breeze behind the helpless,
> hoplessly fleeing dobermutt...
>

> I miss him, he was a tough little fucker. I'll post a pic someday.

This is a toy collie. Said I'd never have a small dog here...but here she
is.

I was on the front deck.....sippin' a Booker's and listening to "Yellow
Brick Road". I had just grabbed the remote and switched it to "Bennie and
the Jet's".

The dogs were all sleeping comfortably around me in the warm sun (about 60
degrees here). Life was slipping lazily by, and I planned to be comfortably
drunk by the time the owls started their calls.

All of a sudden, I hear, "grrrrrrrr", and I look over and the dwarf dog has
teeth bared and is growling. In the years I've had her, she's never growled
or barked, just eats/sleeps, shits, rinses and starts again.

I'm shocked........I'm like..."What is it Lassie?? Is Timmy in trouble??"

I look out to see what she's growling at, my bloodshot eyes scannong the
field......the treeline.....nothing.

Wait!! There's a herd of deer....but there are *always* a herd of deer
there.

Growling at.....deer?

Before I could react, she shot off the deck, totally avoiding the steps,
going airborne like those stupid pet trick dogs you see on TV go off the
diving board to retrieve the floating rubber ball, and her little feet were
running before she hit the ground.

Once in contact with terra firma, she was a virtual speed ball, not even
taking the barb wire fence into account. Thankfully the first strand is
taller than her.

The deer herd did deer evasive maneuvers, but she didn't fall for it and
locked onto one doe running flat out.

I watched as she went over the top of a hill about 400 yards away, the doe
long gone, she determined to make it a turtle/hare scenario.

I called my neighbor that has about 300 cattle over there, and told him,
"Uh......yeah....Goofy just ran a deer into your west feed field".

He, expertly hiding his great concern of this said, "Ok.....got any
tequila?"

About 10 minutes later, here comes this canine mutation, back across the
field.....trottting....proud....majestic in her protection of the homestead.

The other dogs who had woken are looking at me, then at her, then at me,
like "Hey, boss....WTF? Did I just see Goofy chasing deer?"

She returned to the deck and slept with one eye open lest the offending deer
returned.

I remember it like it was yesterday, even though it was the day before.

I'm thinkin' maybe, "mid-life crisis".

#4 thinks I'm giving her bourbon.

Gregory Morrow

Dec 17, 2007, 3:46:45 PM12/17/07

Ron T.wrote:

Didja see on the nooze that gal in Miami that is charged with bigamy, she
married like 800 guys. She is a big mawmaw with HUGE and heavin'
breasts...her courtroom pic showed her wearing a scoop - type
top...GAWD...!!!

I guess there's no accounting for taste...

barbie gee

Dec 17, 2007, 3:42:41 PM12/17/07

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Ron T. wrote:

> "max" <beta...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> In article <qDw9j.3624$HE3...@fe172.usenetserver.com>,
>>
>> i used to have a wee three legged dog, Haggis. Haggis was a wee thing,
>> a chihuahua-corgy-minipoodle or somethng else tiny.
>>
>> But Haggis wasn't just a bark and roll-over dog; he would mx it up with
>> the neighbor's dobermutt -- he was so small he could run under the dober
>> mutt, and so quick he could turn inside the dobe's radius and bite him
>> in the dick. Repeatedly.
>>
>> One day i heard this horrible shrieking and looked out to see haggis
>> firmly attached the mutt's ass, latched on to the base of his tail by
>> his hindmost teeth, a flapping in the breeze behind the helpless,
>> hoplessly fleeing dobermutt...
>>

>> I miss him, he was a tough little fucker. I'll post a pic someday.
>>

> This is a toy collie. Said I'd never have a small dog here...but here she
> is.

so what's the difference between a toy collie and a border collie?

Ron T.

Dec 17, 2007, 4:55:39 PM12/17/07

"Gregory Morrow" <TheKillingOf...@mercycroft.com> wrote in message

There is absolutely someone.....or *something* for everyone.

I saw the headline, but didn't have time to read the artcle. Based on your
comments, I'm gonna go find it.

She might be better than having sex with a ladies handbag ya know.

Ron T.

Dec 17, 2007, 5:12:11 PM12/17/07

"barbie gee" <barbi...@NOSESPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

> so what's the difference between a toy collie and a border collie?

You got me there, Barb, and sent me to the club sites.

First point.....a "toy collie" is usually a "sheltie" and looks like a
collie, with the browns and tans (is that a drink?) and such, shrunk up.

Second point..a border collie is a black and white medium sized dog, with
the female at 18-21 inches at maturity.

Now, Goofy looks like a border collie, but she sure as hell ain't hitting
18", and she is an adult, "maturity" is not what got her the name, and was
an adult when she came to live here.

I referred to her as a "toy collie" just because when she originally showed
up, someone asked me, "is that your toy collie?", so...not being a dog
expert in any sense of the word, I just figured that's what it was.

max

Dec 17, 2007, 7:12:11 PM12/17/07
In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.07...@sghcrg.sghcrg.pbz>,
barbie gee <barbi...@NOSESPAMgmail.com> wrote:

batteries.

Thurston Howell IV

Dec 17, 2007, 7:16:50 PM12/17/07
Brought a tear to my eye.

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:19:20 -0600, max <beta...@earthlink.net>

jamie

Dec 17, 2007, 9:37:33 PM12/17/07
In article <betatron-D59795...@news.ftupet.com>,

max <beta...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>In article <qDw9j.3624$HE3...@fe172.usenetserver.com>,
> "Ron T." <n...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> "Gregory Morrow" <TheKillingOf...@mercycroft.com> wrote in message

>> > I used to pull my pud to Mrs. Howell...that's why I turned out all queer..
>>
>> One of my dogs has taken up chasing deer.
>>
>> She just won't listen to reason.
>>
>> She weighs 10 pounds, but she can run really, really fast.
>>
>> I hate to think of what will happen if she catches one.
>>
>> One less vet bill.
>
>i used to have a wee three legged dog, Haggis. Haggis was a wee thing,
>a chihuahua-corgy-minipoodle or somethng else tiny.
>
>But Haggis wasn't just a bark and roll-over dog; he would mx it up with
>the neighbor's dobermutt -- he was so small he could run under the dober
>mutt, and so quick he could turn inside the dobe's radius and bite him
>in the dick. Repeatedly.
>
>One day i heard this horrible shrieking and looked out to see haggis
>firmly attached the mutt's ass, latched on to the base of his tail by
>his hindmost teeth, a flapping in the breeze behind the helpless,
>hoplessly fleeing dobermutt...
>
>I miss him, he was a tough little fucker. I'll post a pic someday.

Thanks to you and Ron for some much needed giggles. Please post
picture.

Jamie

Mark Anderson

Dec 17, 2007, 10:31:23 PM12/17/07
In article n...@home.com says...

> Second point..a border collie is a black and white medium sized dog, with
> the female at 18-21 inches at maturity.

Border collies come in black/white, red/white, blue merle, and red merle
coat coloring. The merles will have either blue and/or red eyes. Some
are all red or all black. They are bred for working abilities and
intelligence so they come in many different sizes too.

Michele

Dec 17, 2007, 11:36:22 PM12/17/07
Ron T. wrote:
> "barbie gee" <barbi...@NOSESPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

> Now, Goofy looks like a border collie, but she sure as hell ain't hitting
> 18", and she is an adult, "maturity" is not what got her the name, and was
> an adult when she came to live here.

Could be a JRT/Collie mix? Either way, she's got a hell of a prey drive.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2007, 12:32:01 AM12/18/07
On Dec 17, 10:13 am, smr <m...@shawnritchie.com> wrote:

Why else do you think guys go to Wrigley? The cheap beer? It can't be
the decades-long tragedy out on the field. Unless they have a thing
for guys wearing their jammies to work.

As far as my own personal creepitude goes, I've seen exactly two games
there in the past thirty years.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2007, 12:33:04 AM12/18/07
On Dec 17, 11:48 am, "Ron T." <n...@home.com> wrote:

> I had an associate once who had a thing for very rotund black women with
> asses that would't fit in the bed of a pickup truck and breasts resembling
> ebony 50 lb bags of rice.
>
> He was 5' 9", weighed about 125 lbs, and couldn't get a client supervision
> on a parking violation.
>
> The not being very adept thing...well, we could overlook that.
>
> The 450 lb nubian fetish??
>
> No.
>
> You understand....an associate with a shoe fetish would be OK. I mean, you
> *can* hide those in the desk drawer when a client comes in.
>
> But....whatta ya gonna do with big mama that you had to vaseline the damn
> door to get her in the office?

If the associate truly digs chicks like that he'll never have to work
again.

barbie gee

Dec 18, 2007, 7:52:13 AM12/18/07

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Ron T. wrote:

I asked mostly because the border collies are such working dogs, and they
LOve and Live to herd. Goofy seems to have that same instinct to go out
and get things in order out there...

I love feisty little dogs like that.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 18, 2007, 9:13:11 AM12/18/07
Gregory Morrow <TheKillingOf...@mercycroft.com> wrote:

>Didja see on the nooze that gal in Miami that is charged with bigamy, she
>married like 800 guys. She is a big mawmaw with HUGE and heavin'
>breasts...her courtroom pic showed her wearing a scoop - type
>top...GAWD...!!!

>I guess there's no accounting for taste...

It said the earlier husbands hadn't turned her in because she
blackmailed them into silence. It didn't explain how her blackmail
scheme worked, since apparently each of them learned of the bigamy in
short order.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 18, 2007, 9:21:14 AM12/18/07

For some reason, some people call Shelties "toy collies", but they are
not miniaturized versions of collies. A collie like Lassie is a "rough
collie"; the long hair is referred to as a rough coat. There are also
short-haired collied "smooth coats", same personality but don't shed,
rather funny-looking dogs, variation in the same breed.

Actually, Shelties and border collies probably have common ancestry,
with some mastiff in the background. Shelties and collies, with similar
coat colors, aren't as closely related.

The "border" referred to in border collies is the border between
Scotland and England. Originally they were just collies (herding dog)
and Lassie-collies were rough collies.

Bruce Esquibel

Dec 18, 2007, 9:21:55 AM12/18/07
Mark Anderson <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote:
: In article n...@home.com says...

Heh, I really would like to see an intelligent one.

We had to put ours down a few months ago because his hip/legs finally gave
out but we had a blue merle smooth collie (smooth meaning short hair) and
that was the stupidest dog I ever knew.

Although I was able to get around the fact he had no clue what "fetch" was,
with either a ball or stick, his habit of just facing a wall thinking it was
a door did creep me out from time-to-time.

My wifes theory was that there is so much inbreeding going on at the kennel
clubs (where he originated from), is probably a high risk of faulty genes.
We didn't get him from one directly, from his papers it looked like he came
from one, did the shows for a couple years and ended up at a rescue farm for
unwanted dogs in rural Texas.

Wasn't that small either, usually weighed in at 72-75 pounds and was the
same size as a large german shepard.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Message has been deleted

Ron T.

Dec 18, 2007, 10:48:56 AM12/18/07

"Bruce Esquibel" <b...@e4500.ripco.com> wrote in message

> My wifes theory was that there is so much inbreeding going on at the
> kennel
> clubs (where he originated from), is probably a high risk of faulty genes.

That is sound theory. When I was married to #2, her parents were breeders.
Like....big time.

They would show, and I'd go with them sometimes. They'd point out the kennel
owners that were overlooking in-breeding. They were considered the
"unclean".

It's a really strange business.

jamie

Dec 18, 2007, 10:54:22 AM12/18/07
In article <fk8l23$c2u$1...@e250.ripco.com>,

Smooth collie is just Lassie with short hair. Border collie is another
breed altogether. They're supposed to be the smartest of all breeds.
Mark will doubtless weigh in with more details, but you're talking about
apples and oranges.

Jamie

Ron T.

Dec 18, 2007, 11:14:43 AM12/18/07

"Michele" <mic...@buggeroff.net> wrote in message

Could be. Now if I could just convice her to run them *to* me instead of
*away*,

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 18, 2007, 11:15:20 AM12/18/07
jamie <ja...@mail.ftupet.com> wrote:

>Smooth collie is just Lassie with short hair.

Funny looking dogs, aren't they.

Ron T.

Dec 18, 2007, 11:19:18 AM12/18/07

She's been here a couple years and has never done that before. Could be
instinct is "kicking in".

She's one of our 'drop-ins'. People in the city, when they don't want a pet
anymore, take it to the counrty and throw it out.

So when you live in the country, there you have it.

Kind of like living at the end of the I & M canal.

Everybody has got 4 or 5 dogs around here, and believe me, they live better
than most people.

Exceeded only by the horses in the ~million dollar stables.

Geoff Gass

Dec 18, 2007, 2:28:17 PM12/18/07

they were marrying for residency

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Dec 18, 2007, 3:57:38 PM12/18/07
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
: Gregory Morrow <TheKillingOf...@mercycroft.com> wrote:

I thought it was some sort of visa scam???

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

Michele

Dec 18, 2007, 11:00:56 PM12/18/07

That shouldn't be too hard to do. ;)

clifto

Dec 18, 2007, 11:43:35 PM12/18/07

Bathe in beef gravy. Or maybe Gravy Train and a little water.

--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause

Message has been deleted

sticks

Dec 19, 2007, 9:59:56 AM12/19/07
Scott in SoCal wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:43:35 -0600, clifto <cli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Michele wrote:

>>> That shouldn't be too hard to do. ;)
>> Bathe in beef gravy. Or maybe Gravy Train and a little water.
>
> Dip your wick into a jar of peanut butter.

I dunno, Ron. Around here, we keep a salt lick and plenty of easy corn
when cheating to get that trophy buck. In california, evidently they
dip their peckers in peanut butter. I don't get it.

Ron T.

Dec 19, 2007, 10:13:37 AM12/19/07

"sticks" <wolve...@charter.net> wrote in message

> I dunno, Ron. Around here, we keep a salt lick and plenty of easy corn
> when cheating to get that trophy buck. In california, evidently they dip
> their peckers in peanut butter. I don't get it.

Ditto, sticks.

Automated feeders, an acre of clover, and an acre of winter wheat near the
creek.

Covered stands.

When I was in teens & early 20's, I thought half the fun was freezing my ass
and getting wet.

Now, getting over the 60 hill, I'm thinking about installing mini-bars in
the stands.

Although I do enjoy dipping my wick, a jar of peanut butter is not on the
list of dipees.

Never did understand where the fck Portnoy was coming from.

max

Dec 19, 2007, 12:37:10 PM12/19/07
In article <Fyaaj.7$Ag...@fe72.usenetserver.com>,
"Ron T." <n...@home.com> wrote:

i'm a big fan of laying motionless in the mud, covered with moss and
grasses, with a bowie knife. Like rambo.

but seriously, I used to have a smoke and a coke for lunch and i'd
wander over by the woods down the road.

And there i'd be sitting, burning marlboro in one hand, big glass diet
coke bottle in the other hand, and a bunch of deer would just wander by,
within touching distance. They'd look at me. And all i had was a
marlboro and a diet coke -- it would have taken years to kill them that
way.

.max

Message has been deleted

sticks

Dec 19, 2007, 5:27:41 PM12/19/07
Scott in SoCal wrote:
> We were talking about dogs, not deer.

The conversation was about trying to get Ron's dog to run the deer he
chases toward him instead of away from him. Cliff chimed in about
bathing in gravy, you mumbled something about putting peanut butter on
your pecker, and I mentioned to ron that "around here, we keep a salt
lick and plenty of easy corn" to get our trophy. Deer are much easier
to hit when they are not being chased by fucking dogs anyway.

> Always use the right tool (pun intended) for the job.

I dunno. I get the feeling you don't do much hunting, but one way or
another I think I'm gonna pass on the having the dogs chase the deer
toward me whilst I'm standing there with my pecker hanging out covered
in peanut butter. I know california is different, but this is really
pushing it.

Am I missing something here, Ron?

max

Dec 19, 2007, 5:33:34 PM12/19/07
In article <wVgaj.236$dh1...@newsfe05.lga>,
sticks <wolve...@charter.net> wrote:

> Deer are much easier
> to hit when they are not being chased by fucking dogs anyway.

you shouldn't use fucking dogs for deer hunting. Too hard to replace.

clifto

Dec 19, 2007, 5:56:19 PM12/19/07

If the Marlboro was lit, you gave 675,000 of them lung cancer.

Message has been deleted

sticks

Dec 20, 2007, 12:28:04 AM12/20/07
Scott in SoCal wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:27:41 -0600, sticks <wolve...@charter.net>
> Pete would do it. He would at least try it once.

perhaps that's why we haven't heard from him in a while?

Message has been deleted

sticks

Dec 20, 2007, 1:16:04 PM12/20/07
Scott in SoCal wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:28:04 -0600, sticks <wolve...@charter.net>
> He's busy putting salt on his pecker so he can get his deer to lick
> it?

Whatever it was you said he would try, idjit.

Ron T.

Dec 20, 2007, 2:35:27 PM12/20/07

> Am I missing something here, Ron?

No.....no yer not.

Howver, as far as dogs running game, the first time I ever hunted wild boar
was with dogs running them.

Back in the late 70's, I'm drinking with a buddy, the bottle started
talking, and I'm telling him what a bad S.O.B. I *thought* I was.

He says, "OK, take some time off and let's go hunt some pigs at my sister's
place in Georgia".

Now.....I've been around a lot of farms.....hell, I know pigs......this is a
piece of cake.

So, I tell him, "Load up the car, son......pack a lunch....yer goin' to
school".

A week later we go to Georgia....kind of......there's no *indoor* plumbing
at this place, about 12 rusting pickups scattered around, and about 20 dogs.

I've got my Remington 700 BDL, which his brother-in-law refers to as my
"purty gun".

He says, "Whatta ya gonna do with that?"

I proudly say, "Shoot pigs".

He says, "Huh-uh", and hands me a Smith & Wesson model 29 44 magnum. 6"
barrell. He says, first time is with a handgun, or you don't hunt.

What-ever.

So we climb on a tractor, go out about a mile into the woods to a clearing.
About half a dozen dogs following us. My buddy and his BIL have rifles, I
got the Smith.

The BIL says, "See that field? Go stand in it". So I do.

The dogs wander off, and my buddy and his BIL go into the tree line.

Beautiful day.....nice field....I hear the dogs start barking in the
distance.

It gets louder.

And louder.

All of a sudden, about 150 yards out, I see this BIG ass boar break the tree
line like his hair's on fire and his ass is catchin'.

The worst part is.....he also sees me.

AND the 6 dogs....nippin' at his ass....driving him right...straight...at
me.

Now, I'm no animal psychologist, but I knew there was a moment of reckoning
when I saw that hog's expression change, realizing that there were 6
dogs...and me....standing in the way of freedom, and I was the most
certainly easier taken of the two dilemmas.

We were *far* past negotiation stage......know what I'm sayin'?

I'm serious, man. that hog was PISSED.

I knew that the model 29 had 6 shots in it, but I probably overlooked that
as I stood clicking empty chambers with a dead hog laying in front of me,
and two guys coming out of the woods laughing.

Sticks.....not only did I not have peanut butter on my pecker...I didn't
have a pecker.

That sumbitch, along with my cajoles, were somewhere around my belly button.

Ron T.

Dec 20, 2007, 2:37:47 PM12/20/07

"Scott in SoCal" <scotte...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:28:04 -0600, sticks <wolve...@charter.net>
> He's busy putting salt on his pecker so he can get his deer to lick
> it?

He was commenting on the friendly deer when he was on vacation at the
trailer park.

sticks

Dec 21, 2007, 8:21:26 AM12/21/07

Fuckin' lawyers.....you guys have the best stories!