Printable Reference Guide

Chris Peters

Dec 10, 2009, 5:10:40 PM12/10/09
to ColdFusion on Wheels
I just posted up a printable PDF version of the Wheels Reference Guide
in the Documentation section:
http://cfwheels.org/docs

This is all thanks to the <cfdocument> tag. This was my first
opportunity to use it, and it was pretty fun learning.

One thing that I learned about cfdocument is that you can only
preformat text with the <pre> tag. No amount of inline CSS will tame
it into preformatting if you want to use <div>, <code>, or whatever.

Also, when you use <pre>, the generated PDF will honor your line
breaks with undying commitment. So if you have really long lines in
your code samples, the PDF zooms out so far that you can't read any of
the tiny text in the document. So I had to run each chapter
individually to identify long lines in the code samples and then fix
them by hand. :-/

I think that the finished product was worth it though, and it'll be
insanely easy to update the PDF every time we update the Reference
Guide. Dynamic data FTW!

Per Djurner

Dec 10, 2009, 5:21:47 PM12/10/09
to cfwh...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's great!
There's something about PDF files that just makes you look soooooo
professional all of a sudden ;)

bound4glory

Dec 10, 2009, 6:06:02 PM12/10/09
to ColdFusion on Wheels
Awesome addition. Nothing better than sitting on the commode with
something to read.

Chris Peters

Dec 10, 2009, 6:12:22 PM12/10/09
to cfwh...@googlegroups.com
Haha, at over 170 pages, you'll have plenty of reading material. ;)

Randy Johnson

Dec 10, 2009, 8:40:38 PM12/10/09
to cfwh...@googlegroups.com
Chris,