Cascading 2.0 Released

Chris K Wensel

Jun 5, 2012, 11:52:31 AM6/5/12
to cascading-user

We are happy to announce that Cascading 2.0 is now publicly available for download.

http://www.cascading.org/downloads/

This release includes a number of new features. Specifically:

- Apache 2.0 Licensing
- Support for Hadoop 1.0.2
- Local and Hadoop planner modes, where local runs in memory without Hadoop dependencies
- HashJoin pipe for "map side joins"
- Merge pipe for "map side merges"
- Simple Checkpointing for capturing intermediate data as a file
- Improved Tap and Scheme APIs

We have also created a new top-level project on GitHub for all community sponsored Cascading projects:

https://github.com/Cascading

For more details see:
https://github.com/Cascading/cascading/blob/2.0/CHANGES.txt

--
Chris K Wensel
ch...@concurrentinc.com

Oscar Boykin

Jun 5, 2012, 12:21:17 PM6/5/12
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! Very exciting step for cascading.

--
Oscar Boykin
@posco http://twitter.com/posco

David Kincaid

Jun 5, 2012, 6:56:24 PM6/5/12
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Thanks for what looks like a really great release.

Has anyone put together a guide for upgrading an existing Cascading application? Unfortunately, I haven't been following along with the 2.0 development very closely.

Thanks,

Dave

Chris K Wensel

Jun 5, 2012, 7:00:58 PM6/5/12
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Nothing formal, but I would review the CHANGES file

David Kincaid

Jun 5, 2012, 7:17:09 PM6/5/12
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! That's where I'm starting. That and just trying to compile and fixing compile errors as they come up.