Generic Category Sidebar?

Fitzgerald Steele

Mar 1, 2010, 12:38:52 PM3/1/10
to Carrington CMS Theme Framework for WordPress
I have a site with a bunch of categories. On each category archive
page, I'd like to show the category description in the sidebar.

I know I can create a sidebar for each category in sidebar/:
cat-category1.php
cat-category2.php

But that seems to be a bit overkill. Is there a way to have a
'generic category archive sidebar,' so that I just show the current
category description? What do I name this file so that carrington
knows to apply this particular sidebar to all the category archive
pages (and not the top-level page, where I show the site description).

Thanks!

Kai Pan

Mar 1, 2010, 12:57:10 PM3/1/10
to carrington...@googlegroups.com
Hey Fitzgerald,

Did you read the readme document in the sidebar directory? To do what you're describing, just make a "category.php" file in the sidebar folder. You can also make an "archive.php" file too since category listings are usually archives as well.

Cheers.

Fitzgerald Steele

Mar 1, 2010, 1:42:59 PM3/1/10
to Carrington CMS Theme Framework for WordPress
Ahh...I read it, but clearly didn't understand it. That's perfect,
thanks!