Deploying without SCM

sixones

Jul 2, 2009, 11:44:28 AM7/2/09
to Capistrano
Hello,

I've seen this question pop up a few times but haven't been able to
find a clear answer. Is there away to deploy with Capistrano without
using SCM? I like the idea of the automated deployment strategies
available with Capistrano and would like to benefit rather than
manually uploading via SFTP etc..

I fully understand how important SCM is but I'm planning on using
Capistrano to deploy binary builds to a remote server. Storing the
builds inside a repository just doesn't make sense for obvious
reasons.

Thanks in advance

Joe McDonagh

Jul 2, 2009, 2:00:45 PM7/2/09
to capis...@googlegroups.com
There is a 'put' method that uses scp to transfer files. You can make a
task that uses this method to upload binaries.

--
Joe McDonagh
Operations Engineer

Lee Hambley

Jul 2, 2009, 2:29:03 PM7/2/09
to capis...@googlegroups.com
There is also the deploy_via :copy that will tar up your working directory and deploy it to the server, you can read more about that on our wiki under "Understanding deployment strategies"

- Lee

Jamis Buck

Jul 2, 2009, 2:31:31 PM7/2/09
to capis...@googlegroups.com
There is also a :none SCM that you can use. However, it only works
with the :copy deployment method that Lee mentioned.

So:

set :repository, "."
set :scm, :none
set :deploy_via, :copy

You can read more about the :none SCM in the comments for that module:

http://github.com/capistrano/capistrano/blob/e8429b0e198d3dbff53853e3b83f0155f05a910d/lib/capistrano/recipes/deploy/scm/none.rb

- Jamis

sixones

Jul 2, 2009, 3:24:02 PM7/2/09
to Capistrano
Thanks guys,will give the suggestions a try.

On 2 July, 19:31, Jamis Buck <ja...@37signals.com> wrote:
> There is also a :none SCM that you can use. However, it only works
> with the :copy deployment method that Lee mentioned.
>
> So:
>
>   set :repository, "."
>   set :scm, :none
>   set :deploy_via, :copy
>
> You can read more about the :none SCM in the comments for that module:
>
> http://github.com/capistrano/capistrano/blob/e8429b0e198d3dbff53853e3...
>
> - Jamis
>

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Lee Hambley<lee.hamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is also the deploy_via :copy that will tar up your working directory
> > and deploy it to the server, you can read more about that on our wiki under
> > "Understanding deployment strategies"
> > - Lee

sixones

Jul 3, 2009, 2:32:14 PM7/3/09
to Capistrano
Works like a charm! Along with these extra settings;

set :copy_cache, "/tmp/my-app"
set :copy_compression, :gzip

Thanks again guys