deployment error: no passwd entry for app!

me

Nov 30, 2007, 3:55:10 PM11/30/07
to Capistrano
Hi, I'm having a problem when running `cap deploy`. This is what I
get when it errors out.

** transaction: commit
* executing `deploy:restart'
* executing "sudo -p 'sudo password: ' -u app /project/current/
script/process/reaper"
servers: ["web-01"]
[web-01] executing command
*** [err :: web-01] sudo: no passwd entry for app!
command finished
command "sudo -p 'sudo password: ' -u app /project/current/script/
process/reaper" failed on web-01

It looks like it's trying to run a sudo command as user app, for which
no such user exists.

nbrew

Dec 4, 2007, 9:44:15 PM12/4/07
to Capistrano
> *** [err :: web-01] sudo: no passwd entry for app!

Taking a look at cap's deploy.rb recipe it looks like you can set
the :runner var to another user. My Capfile looks like so:
<code>
load 'deploy' if respond_to?(:namespace) # cap2 differentiator
Dir['vendor/plugins/*/recipes/*.rb'].each { |plugin| load(plugin) }
load 'config/deploy'
set :runner, :user # set the sudo runner user to whatever the
connecting user is
</code>

HTH

Nathan