Native Animal Recipes?

1 view

J Williams

Sep 26, 2001, 5:24:04 AM9/26/01
I'm after a decent recipe for a good sized native animal. I was thinking
of inviting a few friends around for a spit roast, and thought a Dingo
might be just the ticket (and budgies are so difficult - getting those
tiny feathers out of your teeth after you bite their heads off is just
far too much effort).

Now if we could catch a grain-fed fattened Dingo that has not had too
much exercise and yet might provide some sport in the chase. Anyone
interested?

I believe there is a local Dingo that might fit the bill - tracking him
has always been problematic. However with some assistance from the
public, and with some careful work, I'm sure we could flush him out and
have a public roasting that 99.9% of Canberrans and Australians in
general would enjoy immensely.

Bags I putting the skewer in!

Bron

Sep 26, 2001, 5:40:44 AM9/26/01

"J Williams" <JohnWi...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> Bags I putting the skewer in!

A dingo hunting you will go ... a dingo hunting you will go ... .Saturday
might be a good day .... let us know how you go.

Bron

Brilliant Pebbles

Sep 26, 2001, 8:08:57 AM9/26/01
Why do you want to do this anyway?

The Spectator

Sep 26, 2001, 8:30:41 AM9/26/01
He's imganing it's YOU on the skewer!

Brilliant Pebbles <spa...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Brilliant Pebbles

Sep 26, 2001, 9:00:25 AM9/26/01
Whats "imganing"? How do you "imgan" someone?

Is this a muslim practice? Or labor party stuff perhaps?

"The Spectator" <Sp...@potato.veg> wrote in message

Mike Price

Sep 26, 2001, 12:05:37 PM9/26/01
The Dingo isn't native to Australia, so there goes that idea.

Louise

Sep 26, 2001, 4:51:34 PM9/26/01
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:24:04 +1000, J Williams <JohnWi...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>I'm after a decent recipe for a good sized native animal. I was thinking

Are you an 11 year old? This post is pathetic.

J Williams

Sep 26, 2001, 5:32:27 PM9/26/01
I don't believe for one second Ernie Dingo is native either, otherwise
he wouldn't be spruking his crap, so I don't think this is a problem....

The Spectator

Sep 26, 2001, 6:31:10 PM9/26/01
Just proved you're thick as pigshit in the neck of a bottle...

Brilliant Pebbles <spa...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Michael Lightfoot

Sep 27, 2001, 8:33:43 AM9/27/01
On Thursday 27 September 2001 02:05 Mike Price burbled:

> The Dingo isn't native to Australia, so there goes that idea.

Some would argue that because of the time span of its presence on this
continent (some say more than 10,000 years) and its position as the
only large predator (since the demise of the Thylocene and until the
introduction of the fox and the cat) that it should be regarded as
native.

I have certainly seen dingoes behaving as a natural part of the
ecosystem in the forests of the coastal ranges east of Armidale NSW.

Peter Mackay

Sep 27, 2001, 2:00:51 PM9/27/01
In article <3bb3...@newshost.pcug.org.au>,
michael....@canb.auug.org.au says...

Like feral cats and pigs in national parks.

The dingo is an introduced species, Mike. It is a feral dog. It didn't
evolve here.

It is native only in the sense that Aboriginal Australians are native.

And on that point, what is your view on a dingo-kelpie cross? Native?
Half-native? Don't know?

--
Cheers, Peter

J Williams

Sep 27, 2001, 3:21:54 PM9/27/01
FFS Let's call it indigenous and be done with it. How fucking pedantic can
people get.

/me turns the page on life.

Gregory Shearman

Sep 26, 2001, 9:17:16 PM9/26/01
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:24:04 +1000, J Williams wrote:
>I'm after a decent recipe for a good sized native animal. I was thinking
>of inviting a few friends around for a spit roast, and thought a Dingo
>might be just the ticket (and budgies are so difficult - getting those
>tiny feathers out of your teeth after you bite their heads off is just
>far too much effort).

Nah.... don't eat dog...

Kangaroo or Emu would be far superior in taste.

Watch the ABC "Bush Mechanics" for good bush recipes... they
often eat 'roo or emu... and it looks bloody tasty...

--

Regards,

Gregory.

"Ding-a-Ding Dang, My Dang-a-Long Ling Long."

Peter Mackay

Sep 27, 2001, 5:25:06 PM9/27/01
In article <3BB37C52...@ozemail.com.au>,
JohnWi...@ozemail.com.au says...

> Peter Mackay wrote:
>
> > In article <3bb3...@newshost.pcug.org.au>,
> > michael....@canb.auug.org.au says...
> > > On Thursday 27 September 2001 02:05 Mike Price burbled:

> > > Some would argue that because of the time span of its presence on this
> > > continent (some say more than 10,000 years) and its position as the
> > > only large predator (since the demise of the Thylocene and until the
> > > introduction of the fox and the cat) that it should be regarded as
> > > native.
> > >
> > > I have certainly seen dingoes behaving as a natural part of the
> > > ecosystem in the forests of the coastal ranges east of Armidale NSW.
> >
> > Like feral cats and pigs in national parks.
> >
> > The dingo is an introduced species, Mike. It is a feral dog. It didn't
> > evolve here.
> >
> > It is native only in the sense that Aboriginal Australians are native.
> >
> > And on that point, what is your view on a dingo-kelpie cross? Native?
> > Half-native? Don't know?
> >
> FFS Let's call it indigenous and be done with it. How fucking pedantic can
> people get.

Ummm. That's what the discussion is about - what to call the dingo. If
you have *any* opinion at all, then you are down and dirty with the nit-
picklers.

I say it's as native or as indigenous as Aboriginal Australians or
buffalo, both being pre-European introductions.

And on that note, I wonder what my fellow Aussies think of the Outback
Steakhouse chain of US restaurants, apparently with Fosters on tap:
http://www.outback.com/

--
Cheers, Peter

AndyPandy

Sep 28, 2001, 1:03:21 AM9/28/01

"Peter Mackay" <peter....@bigpond.com.aus> wrote in message

> In article <3bb3...@newshost.pcug.org.au>,
> michael....@canb.auug.org.au says...
> > On Thursday 27 September 2001 02:05 Mike Price burbled:
> >
> > > The Dingo isn't native to Australia, so there goes that idea.
> > >
> > Some would argue that because of the time span of its presence on this
> > continent (some say more than 10,000 years) and its position as the
> > only large predator (since the demise of the Thylocene and until the
> > introduction of the fox and the cat) that it should be regarded as
> > native.
> >
> > I have certainly seen dingoes behaving as a natural part of the
> > ecosystem in the forests of the coastal ranges east of Armidale NSW.
>
> Like feral cats and pigs in national parks.
>
> The dingo is an introduced species, Mike. It is a feral dog. It didn't
> evolve here.

Nor did you.

Malcolm Street

Sep 28, 2001, 10:36:06 PM9/28/01
How about the Easter Bilby?

slinger

Sep 27, 2001, 3:12:50 PM9/27/01

J Williams wrote ...

> I'm after a decent recipe for a good sized native animal. I was thinking
> of inviting a few friends around for a spit roast, and thought a Dingo
> might be just the ticket (and budgies are so difficult - getting those
> tiny feathers out of your teeth after you bite their heads off is just
> far too much effort).

Dingos taste like shit, I'm told.
Roos are much better, watch 'Bush Mechanics' on ABC for recipes.

Cheers !

Bron

Oct 1, 2001, 12:32:07 AM10/1/01

"AndyPandy" <whoppee!@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Nor did you.

Nothing "evolved" in Australia. Although the people who jump on the "wild
imported dog" bandwagon are simply "clutching at straws" as there is no
realistic proof of when they actually arrived.

Between 5000 -50000 years ... I think that's long enough to consider them
"native".

Scott Hillard

Oct 1, 2001, 10:05:29 AM10/1/01

Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Kangaroo or Emu would be far superior in taste.

Roo meat is stringy & tough - I can't speak for the boong chook, as I
haven't had the pleasure.

Michael Lightfoot

Oct 1, 2001, 10:23:46 AM10/1/01
On Monday 01 October 2001 14:32 Bron burbled:

> "AndyPandy" <whoppee!@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Nor did you.
>
> Nothing "evolved" in Australia.

Wrong Bron. Marsupials and Monotremes both evolved in Australia (or to
be precise the Gondwana supercontinent.) This is why Monotremes are
exclusive to Australia and Marsupials to Australia, nearby islands and
South America. Those with a knowledge of Botany would also know that
certain plant families are in the same boat (most famously the
antarctic beech family.)

> Although the people who jump on the
> "wild imported dog" bandwagon are simply "clutching at straws" as
> there is no realistic proof of when they actually arrived.
>
> Between 5000 -50000 years ... I think that's long enough to consider
> them "native".

I think this was my point, but has been lost in abuse from the
arch-troll.

Peter Mackay

Oct 1, 2001, 5:35:44 PM10/1/01
In article <3bb7...@iridium.webone.com.au>, sick...@mail.com says...

> "AndyPandy" <whoppee!@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Peter Mackay" <peter....@bigpond.com.aus> wrote in message
> > > In article <3bb3...@newshost.pcug.org.au>,
> > > michael....@canb.auug.org.au says...

> > > Like feral cats and pigs in national parks.
> > >
> > > The dingo is an introduced species, Mike. It is a feral dog. It didn't
> > > evolve here.
> >
> > Nor did you.
>
> Nothing "evolved" in Australia.

As I point out and Mike confirms, this is not true. Kangaroos are not
found anywhere else, for example, apart from the tree kangaroo of New
Guinea, which walked there when Torres Strait wasn't. Kangaroos evolved
in Australia.

I have trouble with the concept of a tree kangaroo. Odd. Like a whale on
stilts or a flying wombat. Fruit-bat, wom-bat, hmmm.

Then again, kangaroos can swim, and New Guinea is really just a hop skip
and a jump away.

Anyway, kangaroos evolved here, as did platypodes and a whole bunch of
other birds and animals and fish and plants. Murray Cod. Emu.
Macadamias.

> Although the people who jump on the "wild
> imported dog" bandwagon are simply "clutching at straws" as there is no
> realistic proof of when they actually arrived.
>
> Between 5000 -50000 years ... I think that's long enough to consider them
> "native".

In that case then people are native too, using your logic. If you need
proof, just look at the chocolate brown colour of the people calling
themselves Aboriginal. Obviously the bloodline has become mixed over the
centuries.

Just like dingoes, who now have significant amounts of more recent
imports in them. Dingoes are dogs.

--
Cheers, Peter

Bron

Oct 1, 2001, 4:27:22 PM10/1/01

"Michael Lightfoot" <michael....@canb.auug.org.au> wrote in message

> On Monday 01 October 2001 14:32 Bron burbled:
>
> Wrong Bron. Marsupials and Monotremes both evolved in Australia (or to
> be precise the Gondwana supercontinent.) This is why Monotremes are
> exclusive to Australia and Marsupials to Australia, nearby islands and
> South America. Those with a knowledge of Botany would also know that
> certain plant families are in the same boat (most famously the
> antarctic beech family.)

oops :-)

> I think this was my point, but has been lost in abuse from the
> arch-troll.

Agreed.

Bron

Peter Mackay

Oct 1, 2001, 8:21:40 PM10/1/01
In article <3bb8...@iridium.webone.com.au>, sick...@mail.com says...

> "Michael Lightfoot" <michael....@canb.auug.org.au> wrote in message
> > On Monday 01 October 2001 14:32 Bron burbled:
> >
> > Wrong Bron. Marsupials and Monotremes both evolved in Australia (or to
> > be precise the Gondwana supercontinent.) This is why Monotremes are
> > exclusive to Australia and Marsupials to Australia, nearby islands and
> > South America. Those with a knowledge of Botany would also know that
> > certain plant families are in the same boat (most famously the
> > antarctic beech family.)
>
> oops :-)
>
> > I think this was my point,

No, Mike. It was my point. Conveniently snipped by Bron, who will not
direct an "Oops" in my direcetion, I make no doubt!

--
Cheers, Peter