Sash window replacement

Paul Bird

Apr 27, 2011, 8:23:16 AM4/27/11
The subject of windows replacement and who to contact comes up every so
often on here and this is just a quick message seeking confirmation that
I've got the right names from past trawls, the following are often
mentioned in requests for recommendations.

Soham joinery
Polarglaze Cottenham
The Old Sash Window Company
Anglian windows
David Mills, 01223 292322, 07879 687415 + friendly and professional on
the wiki

I've just checked the Wiki and both Polarglaze and David Mills are listed.

Given that the above have appeared in positive comments on here from
time to time my reason for posting is quite simply to do with any
disrecommendations from the above or additional firms I haven't listed
from which people have had good results.

PB

Alan

Apr 27, 2011, 8:44:51 AM4/27/11
On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:23:16 +0100, Paul Bird <pa...@nospamcamtutor.co.uk>
wrote:

I'd also add Spectrum Home Improvements at Bar Hill to the list, having
just done our windows and a new conservatory to very high standard.

No nonsense sales procedure with no discounts for it being a Tuesday etc...

Alan

Andrew Haylett

Apr 27, 2011, 6:52:26 PM4/27/11

Micron Windows (Newmarket)

Mike Lewis

Apr 28, 2011, 2:59:05 AM4/28/11

"Andrew Haylett" <and...@hayletts.net> wrote in message

When I got a price from them a couple of years ago I found them quite
expensive compared to Anglian.

Roland Perry

Apr 28, 2011, 3:21:09 AM4/28/11
In message <Ke8up.35338$KZ7....@newsfe08.ams2>, at 07:59:05 on Thu, 28
Apr 2011, Mike Lewis <mike-a...@deletethisbit.ntlworld.com> remarked:

>When I got a price from them a couple of years ago I found them quite
>expensive compared to Anglian.

A couple of weeks ago I was disturbed by a salesman who started his
patter "I can see you have a notice saying you don't buy at the door,
but..."

His company was selling new windows, and had Anglian in its name (I
remember thinking he was a bit off his patch, here in the Midlands).

I referred him to my landlord.
--
Roland Perry

RobertL

Apr 28, 2011, 6:48:32 AM4/28/11
On Apr 27, 1:23 pm, Paul Bird <p...@nospamcamtutor.co.uk> wrote:
> The subject of windows replacement and who to contact comes up every so
> often on here and this is just a quick message seeking confirmation that
> I've got the right names from past trawls, the following are often
> mentioned in requests for recommendations.
>
> Soham joinery

Soham Joinery made a replacement sash window for our house 9where the
previous owner had bricked up the opening and thrown away the
window) . They did a good job and copied the design of the existing
windows including (at my request) the use of single glazing.

one point to consider: there are building control implications . A
replacement traditional design (with weigths in boxes) sash window,
even if double glazed, wlll probably not meet the current requriement
of U=1.6 W/sqm.K. I had to apply some wall insulation 'in mitigation'
in order to get mine accepted.

We also had many exiting sash windows refurbished by
http://eastangliaperiodwindows.co.uk/ and were very happy with the
work they did.

Robert

Andrew Haylett

Apr 28, 2011, 6:16:40 PM4/28/11

We had half our house done by Anglian, then the second half by Micron -
the price was comparable with Anglian (once Anglian had come down from
their silly can-we-get-away-with-it price) and the Micron windows seem
better quality.

We're having new patio doors fitted, which also involves the removal
of a conservatory, and to Micron's credit once they'd taken down the
conservatory and discovered that (thanks to some weirdly creative bodging
that had gone into the original construction) the real aperture was
about 15cm wider than they'd first measured, they were quite happy to
get the new fittings rebuilt to widen them at no extra cost.