Telus downtime?

Sartan Dragonbane

Aug 7, 2003, 2:25:21 AM8/7/03
About 10am-midnight my internet was down, telus adsl. It could have gone up
earlier, but i use linux and it doesn't automatically do dhcp. In short,
was it just a config error on my part? :P It's nice to know these things. I
was talking to a friend and she said her internet went too, maybe its a
conspiracy!

--
These last few weeks I have been experiening nucleomituphobia. I am truly
afraid for the future of the world. Greenhouse gas, War, Terrorism, Nuclear

tom2tec

Aug 7, 2003, 1:32:21 PM8/7/03
"Sartan Dragonbane" <Sartan...@NOSPAM.telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:<lhmYa.42086$tQ2.1...@news1.telusplanet.net>...

> About 10am-midnight my internet was down, telus adsl. It could have gone up
> earlier, but i use linux and it doesn't automatically do dhcp. In short,
> was it just a config error on my part? :P It's nice to know these things. I
> was talking to a friend and she said her internet went too, maybe its a
> conspiracy!

Perhaps you live near Bridgeland and were affected by this:
Troubled waters tie up Bridgeland phone lines

"More than 3,000 residents in Bridgeland were without telephone
service, some for more than 24 hours, after rain waters damaged a
major communications line."
Calgary Herald ~ Thursday, August 07, 2003
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O61C12585

What I really found interestong was:

"Admitting there was a breakdown in communication between residents
and the company, Culo said crews had a hard time finding the problem
point because of the spliced wires."

I wonder if it has anything to do with this:

"The Telecommunications Workers Union believes that downsizing at
Telus is bad for shareholders, bad for customers, and bad for the
employees who are left after the carnage and who will be forced to try
and do more with less. There is no legitimate reason to downsize the
workforce at Telus."
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T24C14585

or this:
Telus Quadruples Q2 Income:

"VANCOUVER -- TELUS Corporation (TSX: T and T.A / NYSE: TU) today
reported for the second quarter of 2003 strong growth in earnings and
cash flow, as well as revised full year guidance for 2003. Operating
earnings (EBITDA) were up 16% due to strong performance at TELUS
Mobility and continued cost structure improvements from the
Operational Efficiency Program at TELUS Communications"
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H16C15585

Isn't privitization grand! Personally, my phone bill has never been
higher and my dissatisfaction never greater. I'm currently looking
around for another phone company as I'm tired of the abuse I've
received from Telus recently.

Personally, I'm sure it looks good in the short term, but those high
priced executives have gutted the Telus reputation and workplace
spirit. I predict bad times ahead for for the company. It's a shame
that a few people can use the system to open cheat and steal from
others.

2tec ~ lashes out to touch someone

It seems to be the poor pay all the fees
while all the rich do is ride for free

Bologna

Aug 7, 2003, 3:12:53 PM8/7/03
Write a cron script to ping a host and restart your box if it doesn't reach
your destination after a certain amount of time.

-mmm

Sartan Dragonbane

Phil Mattaleven

Aug 7, 2003, 9:35:56 PM8/7/03
I tend to agree. The quality of service at Telus has never sucked more than
now as well as the rates have never been higher

"tom2tec" <tom...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Psych Opath

Aug 8, 2003, 4:07:22 AM8/8/03
Hello Sartan.

07 Aug 03 14:57, you wrote to All:

SD> These last few weeks I have been experiening nucleomituphobia. I am truly
SD> afraid for the future of the world. Greenhouse gas, War, Terrorism,
SD> Nuclear Stalemate.. Who will break the nuclear stalemate and end the
SD> world? My death warrant has been signed by a politician...

Dont get so worried about it that you don't notice that bus bearing down on you
as you step off the curb...