Naming changes, and how to handle browser globals

August Lilleaas

Jun 13, 2012, 6:51:36 AM6/13/12
to Buster.JS development
Chris and I did our weekly walk in the woods today, and we came up with some new stuff.

First, naming.

We get a new sub-project, dubbed Ramp. This will contain buster-capture-server (ramp) and buster-resources (ramp-resources). A ramp is the utility you use to initiate major destruction testing, we thought that was a good parallell to what buster-capture-server facilitates for Buster.JS itself. It's vital that the ramp module gets an up method - ramp.up().

We really want to rename buster-assertions to assref (assert-refute), because it made us laugh. But that's a bit unprofessional (I can't use buster at work, it has "ass" in it). So perhaps we can have a reference to an ass (a literal interpretation of the assref name)? Perhaps a famous persons ass, or a famous person that is an asshole. Or something childish. We also want to avoid a male gaze sexist name though, so we're also trying to come up with a name reflecting the "ying yang" nature of the package (symmetric asserts and refutes). Suggestions are definitely welcome.

Second, globals in browsers.

We'll use AMD mechanics internally to avoid exposing globals. All internal browser code will use AMD, and hopefully most of our dependencies will do it too. When already does, Sinon doesn't (I think?). At any rate, the end goal is that we'll achieve a single global in the browsers, "buster", since AMD lets us control this. We'll probably use almond.

**

These changes will be for the next beta, we want to get 0.6 out before embarking on this adventure.

Christian Johansen

Jun 13, 2012, 8:11:35 AM6/13/12
to August Lilleaas, Buster.JS development
I updated the API docs: http://busterjs.org/roadmap.html

Magnar Sveen suggested "tush" as a name for buster-assertions. I really like it, and used it on the roadmap. However, the change won't be permanent until after the next beta, so if anyone feel they have a better suggestion, please shoot.

Christian
--
MVH
Christian

August Lilleaas

Jun 13, 2012, 10:12:56 AM6/13/12
to Christian Johansen, Buster.JS development
please shoot

Made me think of a new name, from a Zappa song: "poop shoot".

(That's not sexist, right? It's just a name for a body part.)

Christian Johansen

Jun 13, 2012, 4:00:05 PM6/13/12
to August Lilleaas, Buster.JS development
Made me think of a new name, from a Zappa song: "poop shoot".

Hehe. I guess "poop" and "ass" goes in the same category naming-wise ;) I still prefer "referee"

Malcolm Locke

Jun 13, 2012, 5:49:52 PM6/13/12
to August Lilleaas, Christian Johansen, Buster.JS development
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 04:12:56PM +0200, August Lilleaas wrote:

> > please shoot
> >

> Made me think of a new name, from a Zappa song: "poop shoot".

Technically, it's 'poop chute'.

I'll file that under 'sentences I never thought I'd write'.

Malc

Christian Johansen

Jun 13, 2012, 5:53:31 PM6/13/12
to Malcolm Locke, August Lilleaas, Buster.JS development
Haha!

--
MVH
Christian

Malcolm Locke

Jun 13, 2012, 5:56:37 PM6/13/12
to Buster.JS development
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:51:36PM +0200, August Lilleaas wrote:
> We really want to rename buster-assertions to assref (assert-refute),
> because it made us laugh. But that's a bit unprofessional (I can't use
> buster at work, it has "ass" in it).

Yeh, I think it's best to watch that stuff. Don't get me wrong, I
couldn't care less how vulgar you get, but some people do. I have been
surprised by some stuff I've found in the buster source, e.g.
https://github.com/busterjs/buster-assertions/blob/master/test/buster-assertions-test.js#L1105

Also, any idea why the reply-to doesn't get set on this mailing list?

Malc

Christian Johansen

Jun 13, 2012, 6:17:49 PM6/13/12
to Buster.JS development
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Malcolm Locke <ma...@wholemeal.co.nz> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:51:36PM +0200, August Lilleaas wrote:
> We really want to rename buster-assertions to assref (assert-refute),
> because it made us laugh. But that's a bit unprofessional (I can't use
> buster at work, it has "ass" in it).

Yeh, I think it's best to watch that stuff.  Don't get me wrong, I
couldn't care less how vulgar you get, but some people do.

I'm always disappointed by how easily people are offended nowadays :(

I have been
surprised by some stuff I've found in the buster source, e.g.
https://github.com/busterjs/buster-assertions/blob/master/test/buster-assertions-test.js#L1105

Haha, oops. *blush* That's probably (hopefully) me on a late evening. I think
you'll find that that line has been vastly improved:
https://github.com/busterjs/buster-assertions/blob/master/test/buster-assertions-test.js#L1105

Also, I did a quick grep for "fuck", and that was the only one accross the entire project.
That's not too bad, considering I actually wrote quite a lot of the code ;)

Also, any idea why the reply-to doesn't get set on this mailing list?

Nope, maybe August knows?

Christian