Facebook App?

Justin

Oct 21, 2008, 5:04:48 PM10/21/08
to Brightkite API
Is someone (including Brightkite) actively working on a Facebook app?
I've got decent experience with FB's API, and Brightkite's API is
incredibly simple to use from what I've played with so far.. I just
didn't want to start on it if someone else was already working on it
(or if Brightkite was about to release their own).

I was working on a Facebook/FireEagle app a while back, but I stopped
work on it when I realized that FireEagle just won't appeal to most of
the "FB Generation" -- it doesn't have notes/comments/etc like BKite
does.

Justin

Martin May

Oct 21, 2008, 6:58:39 PM10/21/08
to Brightkite API

Justin,

We are working on some Facebook stuff, but maybe we could join
forces...do you have an example of an app that you have created?

Thanks,
Martin

Justin

Oct 22, 2008, 1:30:07 PM10/22/08
to Brightkite API
Hi Martin --

I haven't really done a whole lot with it yet, because I didn't want
to spend time on it and then have BKite release something far more
efficient than I can write/host/etc..

Right now I'm just playing around with the new FB layout API code and
getting up to speed on the BK API.

I'm not even using the actual BK API with my test app yet -- I was
just grabbing the RSS feed and parsing it since it was faster for me
to prototype that way.

The only thing I really have my demo app doing is creating a custom
Application Info Section using the new layout (
http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/New_Design_Application_Info_Sections
), with a "Where Am I?" Object Info section, and posting a (very)
small static 50x50 map from Google with the current BK status, along
with the last 4 check-in locations.

This, of course, isn't really how that Object/Section is intended to
be used, since a user can actually click on it and edit the
location... I just have my app ignoring the changes and switching them
back.. heh.. It's too bad FB won't let external apps modify the
users.current_location field, because that would be ideal to me.

I'm basically trying to make BK look like it's "part" of FB, without
having big glaring "OMG I'M USING BRIGHTKITE" stuff everywhere. I
love B, but Facebook is already full of apps that jump out in your
face and annoy you, so I was trying to make make BKite "blend in"
better than say Loopt with it's horrid iframe-type map garbage.

There's "oh that's cool" and "oh man, that's annoying" on Facebook,
and it's a super fine line... I'm already regretting inviting some
friends to Brightkite because they send their freaking check-ins to
Twitter.. :-D

I doubt it will help you guys, because it's just fast-and-dirty PHP
code that is mostly the "Smileys" example program ripped apart and BK
RSS parsing shoved in there, but I can zip it up and send it to you if
you want it. I will have to comment it up some, since.. uhm.. I'm bad
at that.

John Barker

Oct 22, 2008, 1:39:24 PM10/22/08
to brightk...@googlegroups.com
Justin,

I'm willing to help out with this as well. I've experience with the FB
app in the past (been writing a game for quite some time now) but
haven't worked too much with the new FB layout API.

We'll see what Martin has to say and go from there!

Dr. Chuck

Nov 27, 2008, 9:03:24 AM11/27/08
to Brightkite API
Hi Martin,

I too was contemplating creating an FB app. It wouldn't be
recreating, say, the iPhone BK app, but, it would leverage BK content
created by users to do something BK isn't currently doing--that's why
you guys released the REST API into the wild, isn't it?

Can you give us information about the functionality of the FB app that
you guys are developing? If you can't, I guess it would be nice if
there were a more formal BK developer's program in which we would sign
some sort of reciprocal NDA with BK and get some advanced information
as to what BK is up to--I obviously don't want to work on something if
BK itself is going to provide similar functionality in its own FB app,
and I'd like some protection against BK integrating the functionality
that I'm creating in its own apps.

thanks, Chuck

Martin May

Dec 4, 2008, 5:43:35 PM12/4/08
to Brightkite API

Sorry for the late reply, I've been totally swamped over the last
week. Our FB app will be super-simple, and initially just let you
share your BK activity with FB. We encourage apps that would make more
of BK's functionality inside of Facebook.

Hope that helps,
Martin

Chuck Han

Dec 4, 2008, 10:28:18 PM12/4/08
to Brightkite API
Okay, thanks Martin. That's a green light :-)