Anecdote on DNB effect on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

flashquartermaster

Feb 25, 2009, 7:15:28 AM2/25/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I started suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome over a year ago and
part of the way it manifested was to affect my logic, reasoning,
memory, learning, structuring and prioritisation. This rendered me
incapable of working as a senior web developer and at times unable to
do such simple tasks as following a cooking recipe or arranging
objects on a badside table. After reading that DNB may improve fluid
intelligence and symptoms of ADHD it seemed worth trying it out on
myself.

I trialled n-back tests from 12th Dec 08 to 2nd Feb 09, performing
them, on average, every 2 days for the suggested period of 20 tests
per day.

From 12th Dec to 12th Jan using 'dual n-back' (position and piano
tones) my capabilities rose from 2.5 back to 2.75 back.

Over the next 15 days there was a sudden rise to 4 back. When
reviewing the data, surprisingly, from 12th Jan onwards I found that
my health diary notes are suddenly significantly more structured,
neater and that there are obvious signs of forward thinking and
prioritisation occurring.

During this 15 days I also found that I started to undertake routine
daily tasks such as exercises and guitar practice. I had been trying
and failing to achieve this for six months previously. In addition my
sense of sound pitch was greatly heightened and I was able to tune a
guitar by ear when I would normally use a tuner.

As a control, I did not perform the tests again for three weeks and
found that on the first go I fell to 3.5 back suggesting to me that
whatever process is developed through these tests remains learned. The
mental skills that I had regained did not atrophy either.