My progress so far

Collin

Sep 27, 2009, 5:59:57 AM9/27/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
(how do I post my n-back chart?)

I thought I'd post my progress to keep myself motivated. I've been
kind of off and on with n-backing, I've had headaches, but I don't
want to let that be an excuse. I got past 2-back easily and it wasn't
long until I got 3-back down and I'm starting to get comfortable with
4-back (assuming we don't count the bombs I seem to have.)

Michael Campbell

Sep 27, 2009, 9:19:36 AM9/27/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

I'm an "N" behind you. Just started a few days ago and didn't have much trouble
with 2-back, and am juuuuust starting to not bomb 3-back every time.

How long did 3-back take you to get it?

Raman

Sep 27, 2009, 9:30:27 AM9/27/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Do QnB instead of DnB... DnB is soooo easy after QnB!!

On Sep 27, 6:19 pm, Michael Campbell <michael.campb...@unixgeek.com>

Michael Campbell

Sep 27, 2009, 9:53:12 AM9/27/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Raman wrote:
> Do QnB instead of DnB... DnB is soooo easy after QnB!!

DnB is probably easier, if you can do QnB at all! =) I've just started... baby
steps.

Gwern Branwen

Sep 27, 2009, 10:22:11 AM9/27/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Collin <collin.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (how do I post my n-back chart?)

Could just post your stats.txt file; I don't think there's any nice
tool for generating a jpg of charts or anything.

--
gwern

Michael Campbell

Sep 27, 2009, 12:24:52 PM9/27/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

Or a simple screenshot of the graph.

Collin

Sep 27, 2009, 7:15:13 PM9/27/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
A couple weeks to really get it down. I found, like other people here,
going up a step and doing n-back at a higher level seems to make the
lower level easier. So maybe throw in a few 4-backs and don't worry if
you bomb.

On Sep 27, 6:19 am, Michael Campbell <michael.campb...@unixgeek.com>

Nocra

Sep 28, 2009, 7:28:57 AM9/28/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Try the following:

bring up the graph
press Prt Scr on your keyboard
open a picture editing program
select a black picture and paste

You should have a picture of your screen. Crop it a bit to make it
look nice and save as a jpeg and that should be it!

Collin

Sep 30, 2009, 3:36:28 AM9/30/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I took one of the IQ tests I did previously and scored 109 on, I just
took it again and scored 116 http://www.highiqsociety.org/iq_tests/testresults_fail.php

I don't know about retest effect, but all the questions were different.

Collin

Sep 30, 2009, 4:01:30 AM9/30/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

Benjamin

Sep 30, 2009, 10:52:03 AM9/30/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

If you've only taken the hiq test once before I think the retest
effects are minimal because it chooses questions at random (?) from a
question bank. However, I have noticed a high degree of variability
in their tests. Which test did you take?

On Sep 30, 12:36 am, Collin <collin.dicker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took one of the IQ tests I did previously and scored 109 on, I just
> took it again and scored 116http://www.highiqsociety.org/iq_tests/testresults_fail.php

Collin

Sep 30, 2009, 10:36:42 PM9/30/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I took the eCMA test. The link doesn't work for me showing the 116
score anymore.

And reading about the tests, I didn't realize the time it takes me to
answer was factored in to the score. I took my time-thinking that the
score would be the same as long as I didn't go over the time limit.

Pontus Granström

Oct 1, 2009, 6:24:33 PM10/1/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I scored 132 on that test! Timed test is becoming more and more common. But maybe in the future they only have to ask about ones DNB-level! ;)

Gwern Branwen

Oct 1, 2009, 6:31:57 PM10/1/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Pontus Granström <lepo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I scored 132 on that test! Timed test is becoming more and more common. But
> maybe in the future they only have to ask about ones DNB-level! ;)

I realize you're being humorous, but that's pretty unlikely. Did you
check out the charts in that lure paper you just posted? I remember
one of the pairs of people with almost identical near-perfect Gf
scores also differed in their lure accuracy/n-backing by like 50%!
(Assuming I'm interpreting Fig 2b right.) And this was on a fixed S3B
task.

--
gwern

Pontus Granström

Oct 1, 2009, 6:43:28 PM10/1/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Yes it's true, but I think that the article really shows that there is indeed a connection between DNB and Gf. Perhaps this can be a motivational booster for all "sceptics" ;-)

Collin

Oct 1, 2009, 7:00:45 PM10/1/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Why is it that everyone has high IQ scores when you see people post
theirs. Where are the lower IQ people?

On Oct 1, 3:24 pm, Pontus Granström <lepon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I scored 132 on that test! Timed test is becoming more and more common. But
> maybe in the future they only have to ask about ones DNB-level! ;)

Gwern Branwen

Oct 1, 2009, 7:08:40 PM10/1/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Collin <collin.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it that everyone has high IQ scores when you see people post
> theirs. Where are the lower IQ people?

Obvious answer: multiple self-selection effects. Lower IQ people
aren't as interested, wouldn't take the test, would likely not
persevere in N-backing because it's harder at lower levels, the tests
may be biased upwards, low scorers would be embarassed to post them,
etc etc etc.

If it makes you feel better, my score on the iqtest.dk (back when I
had just reached D2B) was 115.

--
gwern

Collin

Oct 1, 2009, 7:20:09 PM10/1/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
But it seems the people that post their IQs are 120+ and many are in
the 130s. There aren't any average IQ people that I've seen.

What's your IQ now?

Gwern Branwen

Oct 1, 2009, 11:39:06 PM10/1/09
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Collin <collin.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But it seems the people that post their IQs are 120+ and many are in
> the 130s. There aren't any average IQ people that I've seen.
>
> What's your IQ now?

What's it now? Dunno. I've avoided taking any tests since then (May, iirc) so to drive test-retest to a minimum; I set a goal of retaking when I reached D6B but I've been wondering if maybe I shouldn't be more ambitious.

--
gwern
signature.asc

Collin

Oct 2, 2009, 1:00:32 AM10/2/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
That's what I'm going to do. I'm in the 40-60% range with 5-back now
and I'm going to wait until 6 or 7 back until I retake.