The Conservatism of Old Age: overrated?

Gwern Branwen

Feb 10, 2012, 12:32:53 PM2/10/12
to N-back, Mike Darwin
"Population Aging, Intracohort Aging, and Sociopolitical Attitudes"
http://www.gwern.net/docs/2007-danigelis.pdf , Danigelis et al 2007

Abstract:

> "Prevailing stereotypes of older people hold that their attitudes are inflexible or that aging tends to promote increasing conservatism in sociopolitical outlook. In spite of mounting scientific evidence demonstrating that learning, adaptation, and reassessment are behaviors in which older people can and do engage, the stereotype persists. We use U.S. General Social Survey data from 25 surveys between 1972 and 2004 to formally assess the magnitude and direction of changes in attitudes that occur within cohorts at different stages of the life course. We decompose changes in sociopolitical attitudes into the proportions attributable to cohort succession and intracohort aging for three categories of items: attitudes toward historically subordinate groups, civil liberties, and privacy. We find that significant intracohort change in attitudes occurs in cohorts-in-later-stages (age 60 and older) as well as cohorts-in-earlier-stages (ages 18 to 39), that the change for cohorts-in-later-stages is frequently greater than that for cohorts-in-earlier-stages, and that the direction of change is most often toward increased tolerance rather than increased conservatism. These findings are discussed within the context of population aging and development."

Extended excerpts:

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

jttoto2

Feb 10, 2012, 1:54:42 PM2/10/12
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Good to know we don't get nuttier with age.

On Feb 10, 12:32 pm, Gwern Branwen <gwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Population Aging, Intracohort Aging, and Sociopolitical Attitudes"http://www.gwern.net/docs/2007-danigelis.pdf, Danigelis et al 2007

Arky

Feb 11, 2012, 1:26:23 AM2/11/12
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I think the problem is that we _don't_ don't get nuttier.

On Feb 10, 10:54 am, jttoto2 <john.dem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > ...When one examines the proportion of the trend that is attributable to intracohort aging (Table 2), the range of percentages is substantial—from a nonsignificant 1.4 (economic gender equality in the adjusted comparisons for 60+) to a high of 99.6 (blacks are pushing too hard in the adjusted comparisons for 60+). Focusing only on the effects in the analyses adjusted for sample composition (columns 3 and 4), three patterns can be discerned. First, the proportional effect attributable to intracohort aging is equal to or greater than that of cohort replacement a little over half the time (10 times for measures among those

jttoto2

Feb 11, 2012, 2:52:05 AM2/11/12
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Are we referring to the study? If we are, then positive tolerance
towards historically subordinate groups and promotion of civil
liberties must surely be a sign of insanity. No seriously, if you are
implying that these aren't good things, then grow up.

> read more »

Arky

Feb 12, 2012, 10:58:11 PM2/12/12
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I wasn't. I'm sorry.

jttoto2

Feb 13, 2012, 3:59:53 PM2/13/12
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
No apologies necessary. Sorry for the misunderstanding.