Motivation and DNB training

Arkanj3l

Sep 8, 2010, 7:54:38 AM9/8/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Has anyone noticed a significant increase in their motivation after
doing N-Back for a while? I'm not talking about a temporary burst
(which I seem to get), but a long term ability to motivate oneself
that can be attributed to n-back training.

This would be interesting to see because I don't think anyone has done
a study on this yet.

nobodyreal

Sep 8, 2010, 9:23:09 AM9/8/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I know that starting my day with a good book helps me to have more
focus throughout the day, and I've always reasoned that it got some
crucial chemicals associated with study/pre-frontal activity
flowing(dopamine & norepephinine). Doing the n-back should have the
same function(I'm new to the group, does it stimulate pre-frontal
executive areas like studying and reading does?).

Arkanj3l

Sep 9, 2010, 12:08:33 AM9/9/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

I think that straining working memory makes activity occur in the PFC,
but also everywhere else (like the parietal cortex and Broca's area --
that could explain people making verbal fluency gains as well as Gf
gains?). What makes me believe that there are semi-permanent (heh)
motivational benefits is the fact that some studies show an increase
of dopamine receptors in the brain after DNB training. Dopamine
receptors are involved in motivation.

On a side, I really enjoy the lucid feeling I get after an hour of n-
back. I start to look at things and ideas seem to flow into my head
very vividly (I've made some of my best Lego creations after an n-back
session :p).

Pontus Granström

Sep 9, 2010, 4:55:20 AM9/9/10
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I've experienced the same thing. First n-back increases oxygen and bloodflow this is felt after a while as a "high" very similar to what ginko biloba feels like which also increases blood flow. N-back increases dopamine receptors and releases dopamine which is strongly linked to motivation. Just these two functions alone is makes it worthwhile to train.