July 2008 Boston Ruby Meeting

0 vue

Josh

non lue,
23 juin 2008, 15:38:2823/06/2008
à Boston Ruby Group
When
Tuesday, July 8th 7pm - 9pm

Where
215 First St, Cambridge, MA

What

This month's meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 8th at Sermo,
215 First Ave, Cambridge. It is about two blocks from the old location
at the CIC. The meeting runs from 7 to 9pm, but you can arrive as
early as 6:30.

Agenda:

We have two speakers lined up this month.

Matt Conway will be presenting "Deploying, Managing and Scaling
Rails applications on Amazon's EC2 using capistrano (and rubber)":

An overview of the issues involved with deploying a website to
a cloud computing system, and how we addressed some of them by using a
capistrano plugin we wrote called rubber. Rubber encapsulates some of
the best practices we came up with in a form that allows its users to
mix-in what they need for their deployment scenario. It does this in a
way that lets you retain full control of your instance configuration
so that you can extend as needed for your specific needs.

Tyler McMullen will be presenting "Collaborative Filtering in
Ruby":
* What is collaborative filtering and why is it awesome?
* How do you do it?
* Check out this plugin: collaborative_filter

If anyone is interested in giving a short lightning talk, either
bring it up on the mailing list, or contact me beforehand or that
night.

Special Thanks:

Many thanks go out to:
* Sermo for providing the venue, food, and drinks
* Engine Yard for donating a slice for a few of our projects

Tyler McMullen

non lue,
24 juin 2008, 02:11:5824/06/2008
à boston-r...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, that "collaborative_filter" was supposed to be a link to: http://github.com/tyler/collaborative_filter

It just didn't come through in the email, apparently.

Tyler

matt

non lue,
24 juin 2008, 12:02:0024/06/2008
à Boston Ruby Group
If you'd ljke to check out rubber before the meeting, there is some
documentation on github: http://github.com/wr0ngway/rubber/wikis

Matt

Ian Roughley

non lue,
25 juin 2008, 15:33:0225/06/2008
à boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Along these same lines, has anyone tried out morph?
(http://www.mor.ph/) It uses amazon s3 not ec2, and seems to have a
nice price structure for starting out.

/Ian

Dan Croak

non lue,
7 juil. 2008, 20:19:0307/07/2008
à Boston Ruby Group
Hey all,

I'm pumped for the talks on collaborative_filter and rubber tomorrow
night. (Thanks, Matt and Tyler!)

A few of us are heading over to TT the Bear's after the meeting and I
wanted to extend the invitation to the rest of the list.

TT's is a bar and music club in Central Square, one stop on the Red
Line from Kendall. My brother's band (http://myspace.com/
theprojectbluebook) is playing there from 9:15-10. They do covers of
songs from bands like Funkadelic, Daft Punk, Rolling Stones, etc. No
word yet on whether they've learned "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to
Town" (the Cake version, of course).

Anyway, if you have questions, ask me at the meeting. I'll be the guy
cheering loudly for collective intelligence and cloud computing...

Dan Croak
http://thoughtbot.com
organic brains, digital solutions
Répondre à tous