Hackfest 4/15

Josh

Apr 14, 2008, 11:25:08 AM4/14/08
to Boston Ruby Group
Hey all,

The next Hackfest is Tuesday night (4/15).

7-9pm

Food, beverages, wireless provided by thoughtbot.

41 Winter Street, 3rd floor
Map: http://tinyurl.com/3ch9pn
Park Street T stop

Open to suggestions on what to actually hack. Feel free to use this
thread to toss some ideas around.

David J Berube

Apr 14, 2008, 11:27:42 AM4/14/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
How about a fork of exception_notifier to notify via IM using XMPP4R?
That way you can get instant notification when your rails app is going
weird - better to fix it before anyone notices. I was going to do this
the other day and rand out of time.

Take it easy,

David Berube
Berube Consulting
djbe...@berubeconsulting.com
(603)-485-9622
http://www.berubeconsulting.com/

mehnaz jaggi

Apr 14, 2008, 11:51:07 AM4/14/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Guys,
I am new to Ruby and was earlier doing programing in .NET for 5 yrs and was in colorado and just recently moved to Boston. I am catching up with Ruby(and RoR) and the question I have is:
Will I get any benefit from attending these Tuesdays weekly meetings as I am relatively new or should I wait till I get myself comfortable with these technologies(Ruby and Rails) and then start attending these meetings so that I can contribute in whatever way i can and also learn from you experienced guys.
Please go ahead and suggest if you have something else to share/suggest on this case as ultimate motive is to learn and become a good solid rockstar programmer like you guys:)

Thank-you in advance!
Mehnaz Singh

Jonathan Barket

Apr 14, 2008, 11:55:35 AM4/14/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I just moved here a month ago myself. I haven't been able to make it to a Hackfest yet, but after being at the recent meeting, I can definitively say that the Boston Ruby Group covers the gamete as far as experience level goes. I'd wager there's a lot to be gained by going, and you'll probably run into at least a few other people at your experience level.

Jonathan

Dan Croak

Apr 14, 2008, 2:16:46 PM4/14/08
to Boston Ruby Group
Mehnaz,

All experience levels are welcome and can benefit from the Boston Ruby
Group meetings and hackfests.

For tomorrow night, how about something Merb-related to get fired up
for Ezra's visit next week?

Dan

Josh

Apr 14, 2008, 5:52:24 PM4/14/08
to Boston Ruby Group
I had been thinking that writing Shoulda macros for merb might be a
fun and exciting prospect.

- Josh

Josh

Apr 14, 2008, 6:47:24 PM4/14/08
to Boston Ruby Group
Here's an idea I've been kicking around.

I'm sure we all have passing familiarity with the 'rails' command to
generate an initial rails app.

After you do enough of them, you tend to fall into some patterns. Like
removing comments from config/environment.rb, adding certain plugins,
and so on.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could setup a template for later reuse?

Turns out the 'rails' command internally is just using a generator,
just like anything you'd do with script/generate.

You can create your own generators in ~/.rails/generators, or they can
come from gems.

So, perhaps we could rewrite 'rails' (or create something new like
newrails) where you could specify the generator to use.

I have a suspicion that most shops that do a lot of rails already
create a sort of template, but it's not readily shared. If it's as
simple as releasing a gem or exposing something that could be checked
out, I think that could lower the bar.

The end result, I think, is that it would help document best practices
for creating new rails apps.

Daniel Guettler

Apr 14, 2008, 8:27:08 PM4/14/08
to Boston Ruby Group
There is one script out there which does something in this direction
but you still have to customize it.
Check it out at github: http://github.com/foca/utility_scripts/tree/master/railify

Daniel