Attention newcomers: Ruby laptop setup party, Oct 3

Dan Croak

Sep 23, 2011, 3:43:39 PM9/23/11
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Attention newcomers: WELCOME!

On Tuesday, October 4th, at 7pm, we're hosting our usual monthly
hackfest at the thougthbot office:

http://g.co/maps/6d2ja

Unusually, we are going to lead a structured SESSION on getting your
LAPTOP set up for Ruby development. We'll be following the process
described here and be available for debugging:

http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/8700977975/2011-rubyists-guide-to-a-mac-os-x-development

If you're a regular, please attend as well to act as a friendly
WELCOME WAGON and help with DEBUGGING (Linux help?). We'll also have a
floor available for folks who just want to hack on their own things.

Please RSVP using this Google Form so we know how much FOOD and how
many DRINKS to get:

http://goo.gl/NIgW6

Dan

Harold Giménez

Sep 23, 2011, 3:54:31 PM9/23/11
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Dan, you SOUND like you're writing SQL. Just SAYING.

Michael Durrant

Sep 23, 2011, 6:19:54 PM9/23/11
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I would be happy to help with Linux(Ubuntu) as I am a big fan. Please speak up if you are interested.

Linux Rationale:

  Cheap.  My awesome laptop was $450 and my badass server was $800.  Now each year as the new Linux version comes out I just burn a new CD and let it guide me through a new version (and partition if doing full new version over upgrade - disk space is cheap...).  Leads to a yearly clean-out too which is good.  I recently burned a bunch of 32bit and 64bit Ubuntu disks that I would be happy to give out.  If you use Windows it's really easy to install. just take the plunge and less than an hour later you'll be up and running in dual boot!
  Open Source.  Ruby on Rails == matches well
  UNIX based, just like Macs you can't beat the command line.
  Not Microsoft OR Apple. Great companies though and I have contributed nicely to both of them ;)
  Works well with Ruby on Rails.  I tried RoR on windows. For about a week.  I got a Mac and tried it for a while but I now find Linux just suits me better. It works well.
  Free Tools.  Most of the time when I went a tool there's plenty of open source versions that are much better quality than the crap I used to pay for on Windows.
  I still have windows if I need it (rarely these days) as 'one' of my boots is still the original windows (for 1 machine, for now).
  Open Office Interchangeability with Windows Microsoft Office.  It isn't perfect (think Excel graphs) but it's come a long way recently.  Files are more interchangeable now than ever.  This is always a big gotcha for hard-core Windows users + personal non-business stuff.
  It's come a long way.  I initially tried Linux 10 years ago.  Found no use for it.  Returned to it last year.  It's come a long way.

My most recent experience:
I just installed the latest version of Ubuntu(11) on two machines (one thru upgrade, one thru new install) and encountered and overcame various issues with ruby 1.8.7 / 1.9.2 and rails 2.3.x and 3.x applications.

Cheers,
Michael.

Brice Stacey

Sep 23, 2011, 8:36:36 PM9/23/11
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I recommend using VirtualBox rather than dual booting for those that use Windows.

That way they can do their dev work in ubuntu and not have to worry about finding alternatives for non-ruby related tasks without having to reboot (e.g. Outlook). Then, it's less a discussion of converting a windows user to a different OS. It's not ideal but it's a good for introducing someone to ruby that uses Windows.

Also, you don't need to partition a fixed amount of disk space. It can expand as needed.

I do most of my work on a headless ubuntu server install and have had no problems. I don't even remember having to tweak anything (for the most part you just replace "brew" with "sudo apt-get").

Brice
Sent from my iPhone