ruby and rails deep dive on Saturday, may 24th, 2PM-6PM.

Matt Knox

May 15, 2008, 11:33:06 AM5/15/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm Matt Knox, and I'm going to be teaching a 1-day deep dive into rails, taking people from
rails myapp
to a scaleable, relatively functional app in about 4 hours.  I'll be talking about heroku, some gems/plugins I like, memcached, stupid javascript tricks, AWS, and if the class misbehaves, possibly Thrudb and the relational algebra.  Obviously I cannot teach everything one might want to know in such a short time, but I can throw out a lot of interesting stuff, and hope that a few people can hang on for the full time.  Sermo, which hosts and caters the ruby meetings, will be hosting and catering this as well.   So show up with a laptop and ready to code, and leave after food and hacking, with a working app, deployed on EC2.

If you're interested, email me at matth...@gmail.com to RSVP.

--
(def (eval e l d c)
(if (atom? e)

Steve Harris

May 15, 2008, 1:36:52 PM5/15/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Darn, I'll be out-of-town. Hope you do it again!

- Steve

Peter Pavlovich

May 15, 2008, 3:51:12 PM5/15/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I too will be out of town. Any chance someone can video tape this
presentation/session? That, and a copy of the code produced would be
welcome materials for self-study.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Ian Roughley

May 15, 2008, 4:14:11 PM5/15/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm in this camp also... the Memorial day weekend may not have been the
best date.

/Ian

matth...@gmail.com

May 16, 2008, 10:47:18 AM5/16/08
to Boston Ruby Group
Yeah, it definitely wasn't ideal. However, this weekend is both
BarCamp and MIT finals, so it's even worse. Also, anyone know how to
get at the Harvard CS dept? They might want to attend, but I don't
have an in there.

And yes, we'll videotape it/make code available. Any recommendations
for a videographer?

On May 15, 4:14 pm, Ian Roughley <i...@fdar.com> wrote:
> I'm in this camp also... the Memorial day weekend may not have been the
> best date.
>
> /Ian
>
> Peter Pavlovich wrote:
> > Greetings,
>
> > I too will be out of town. Any chance someone can video tape this
> > presentation/session? That, and a copy of the code produced would be
> > welcome materials for self-study.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > Peter
>
> > On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 13:36 -0400, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> >> Darn, I'll be out-of-town.  Hope you do it again!
>
> >> - Steve

Jason Morrison

May 16, 2008, 10:53:15 AM5/16/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I'd love to check this out - count me in.

Also, would this be appropriate for folks with only a little programming experience?  I have a biologist friend who can hack it with flash and processing, but wants to learn about web app dev.

Jason
--
Jason Morrison
jason.p....@gmail.com

Jared Nedzel

May 16, 2008, 11:15:55 AM5/16/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Matt:

What version of Rails will you be using? 2.x?

Jared

--
Jared Nedzel
Cancer Genomics Informatics

617-324-4825
jne...@broad.mit.edu

Pito Salas

May 20, 2008, 9:05:51 AM5/20/08
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I too will be out of town but would definitely have been there, so if
you have any plans of running it again, or rescheduling, or recording
the video, please put me on your mailing list or whatever!

Pito Salas