The description for Event ID ( 281 ) in Source ( InterBase Guardian ) cannot be found

ABF

Aug 30, 2005, 8:17:00 AM8/30/05
Hi All

Running a Delphi 7 app on IB 6.02 on Windows 2000 Server.
I get the following messages after which the ibserver.exe terminates as
indicated in b) below, why is this and how can it be fixed. They appear in
the "Systems Errors Applications" event-log. They also appear at the same
time in the interbase.log.

a) The description for Event ID ( 251 ) in Source ( InterBase
Guardian ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary
registry information or message DLL files to
display messages from a remote computer. The following information is
part of the event: Server Started: Guardian starting: C:\Program
Files\Borland\IntrBase\bin\ibserver.exe.

b) The description for Event ID ( 281 ) in Source ( InterBase
Guardian ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary
registry information or message DLL files to
display messages from a remote computer. The following information is
part of the event: Abnormal Termination: C:\Program
Files\Borland\IntrBase\bin\ibserver.exe: terminated abnormally (-1).

c) The description for Event ID ( 251 ) in Source ( InterBase
Guardian ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary
registry information or message DLL files to
display messages from a remote computer. The following information is
part of the event: Server Started: Guardian starting: C:\Program
Files\Borland\IntrBase\bin\ibserver.exe.

INTERBASE.LOG
--------------------

ROYALSERVER (Client) Mon Aug 29 15:32:39 2005
C:\Program Files\Borland\IntrBase\bin\ibserver.exe: terminated abnormally
(-1)

Thanks
Anton

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Aug 30, 2005, 9:07:58 AM8/30/05
ABF wrote:

> Running a Delphi 7 app on IB 6.02 on Windows 2000 Server.
> I get the following messages after which the ibserver.exe terminates
> as indicated in b) below, why is this and how can it be fixed. They
> appear in the "Systems Errors Applications" event-log.

The messages IB puts in the event log are useless.

> INTERBASE.LOG
> --------------------
>
> ROYALSERVER (Client) Mon Aug 29 15:32:39 2005
> C:\Program Files\Borland\IntrBase\bin\ibserver.exe: terminated
> abnormally (-1)

This means the server crashed. You need to look at what was happening
just before the crash.

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
How to ask questions the smart way:

ABF

Aug 30, 2005, 10:10:15 AM8/30/05
Does anybody maybe know what is causing the messages "The description for
EventID (281) in Source ....". IBServer.exe crash at that same time. Can
they cause ibserver.exe to crash, or is there maybe another cause. (This
message also appears for Norton Anti Virus). Is it something in the
Operating System (Win 2000), or the IB 6.02 installation that is causing
this.

Here they are again. I get the following messages at the same time in the
following log files.

Application Log

1:22:25
InterBase Guardian
Error
None
281

The description for Event ID ( 281 ) in Source ( InterBase Guardian )
cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
The following information is part of the event: Abnormal Termination:
C:\Program Files\Borland\IntrBase\bin\ibserver.exe: terminated abnormally
(-1).

System Log
1:22:25
Service Control Manager
Error
None
7031
The InterBase Server service terminated unexpectedly.

It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action

will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Interbase.log
ROYALSERVER (Client) Tue Aug 30 13:22:25 2005

ABF

Aug 30, 2005, 10:32:59 AM8/30/05
Hi All

I must just mention, I also get "two preceding" 10054 messages in the
interbase log before ibserver crash.

Thanks

ABF

Aug 30, 2005, 10:35:00 AM8/30/05
Hi All

More info, the app is running also at other sites, but the problem
consistently appears at one site.

Thanks

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Aug 30, 2005, 11:04:53 AM8/30/05
ABF wrote:

> I must just mention, I also get "two preceding" 10054 messages in
> the interbase log before ibserver crash.

This is a network problem, which can occasionally cause a crash (but
usually doesn't). With IB 7.5.1, the server would tell you which
client's connection experienced the error, if known. With IB 6, you
have to guess by disconnecting clients / hubs until the issue goes
away. Once you've narrowed it down you can replace cables, hubs, and
NICs until the error goes away.

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
http://qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

ABF

Aug 30, 2005, 11:18:40 PM8/30/05
Hi All

It seems that there are two different problems at this client of ours.

The two messages are:
1) "General SQL error, Cant complete network request..."
2) "The description for Event ID ( 281 ) in Source ( InterBase Guardian )
cannot be found

when message 2) appears in the Event Log ibserver.exe crash.

For message 1) I did a Backup & Restore and they could then continue. Why
will a Backup & Restore resolve a message like "General SQL error, Cant
complete network request...", and what is causing message 1).

Thanks
Anton

ABF

Aug 30, 2005, 11:32:37 PM8/30/05
What I think is happening here is that when ibserver.exe crashes all clients
are thrown out, which is causing the "General SQL error, Cant complete
network request..." message. I just have to find out why IB 6.02 is crashing
on Windows 2000 Server. As I said the crash occurs at the same time as the
message "The description for Event ID ( 281 ) in Source ( InterBase
Guardian )
cannot be found". So I need to find out what this error code 281 is, because
that is the error code for which no description was found.

Thanks a lot

ABF

Aug 30, 2005, 11:36:49 PM8/30/05
Hi All

From several messages I found that for "Event ID (281)" turning of sweeping
(or changing its value), is resolving the problem, as well as a Backup &
Restore.

Is this maybe an IB 6.02 bug?

Thanks

Bill Todd

Aug 31, 2005, 10:30:08 AM8/31/05
I have never heard of a bug in 6.02 that has anything to do with
sweeping but in software that old who knows. Most users turn automatic
sweeping off and run sweeps manually during low load periods because
sweeping in old versions of IB can have a big impact on performance.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)