And Now For Something Completely Different...

Danny Thorpe

Dec 9, 2005, 2:42:59 AM12/9/05
Members of the Delphi Community,

As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have left
Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

This was not a sudden action. I have tried my best to ensure a smooth
transition for the Delphi team, starting with transition plan
discussions with Borland management more than nine months ago.

Delphi is built by a team, not by any individual. Far greater talent
than mine has come and gone from the team, and Delphi presses on. More
importantly, far greater talent remains in the team, some of it as yet
untapped.

As you may know, my philosphy is that teams should be built to
anticipate, tolerate, and support the comings and goings of individuals
on the team. Everyone will eventually leave the team - either by
choice, or by pine box. To ignore this is childish.

I have full confidence in the Delphi team to continue to deliver the
right stuff to keep Delphi current, innovative, and competitive for
years to come. Though there have been some difficult spots between
myself and Borland corporate management, the internal changes in
attitude and messaging in recent months from Borland corporate toward
Delphi have turned my faith in Borland supporting Delphi back toward
the positive. I'm sure that will only get better as Todd Neilsen
steps in as the new CEO.

I'm also pleased that in some small measure my departure is creating
opportunities for advancement within the Delphi team, and that Borland
management (Boz and Steve Todd) was very supportive of "redrawing the
map" under the guidance of Allen, Michael, Eli, and myself. Several
individuals on the team have been promoted in title and/or in pay as a
result of this change. Many of those have not seen promotion or pay
raises for as long as 5 years. Borland has also committed to opening up
several new positions in the Delphi group in Scotts Valley, which may
be filled with entry or mid level engineering talent. This alone is a
significant reversal of the "No new hires in Scotts Valley" edict
earlier this year by then-CEO Dale Fuller.

I was not snatched away from Borland, and I am not leaving Borland for
lack of money. I sought out Google, and I'll be making at Google
exactly what I made at Borland, which is nicely comfortable but not
excessive. There were other suitors (including the obvious one) but,
quite frankly, Google outmaneuvered them.

Could Borland have bought me back? No, because I didn't leave for
money. Why, then? Opportunity. I'm going to Google to pursue ideas
and opportunities that are simply beyond Borland. I love Delphi, I
know it inside out, but there's a lot more in me than just Delphi.

After 15 exciting years doing a wide variety of things at Borland, it's
time for me to do something /completely/ different.

This is not goodbye. This is just changing channels.

-Danny Thorpe
Engineer, Google.

Ryan McGinty

Dec 9, 2005, 2:57:50 AM12/9/05
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for making sure that you left on a high
note. BDS 2006 is great! Have fun at the new job!

Ryan

Thomas Miller

Dec 9, 2005, 4:22:04 AM12/9/05
I hope Google turns out to be just as rewarding as your years at
Borland. Good Luck and I hope you won't be a complete stranger
to us. Thanks.

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

http://www.bss-software.com
http://www.cpcug.org/user/delphi/index.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Turbo Man

Dec 9, 2005, 4:46:49 AM12/9/05
Hi Danny,

Excuse me. do you have just only an engineer position at google?
You must have much more greater position, that's your merited reward.

Best Regards

Turbo Man :)

"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> 写入消息新闻:xn0earre...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Members of the Delphi Community,
>

> -Danny Thorpe
> Engineer, Google.

David Clegg

Dec 9, 2005, 4:57:43 AM12/9/05

> As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have
> left Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

Good luck with all your future endeavours Danny, and thank you very
much for all your contributions to the Delphi community over the years.

--
Cheers,
David Clegg

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos."
- Homer Simpson

Joanna Carter [TeamB]

Dec 9, 2005, 4:58:55 AM12/9/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: xn0earre...@newsgroups.borland.com...

Hi Danny

Could you please privmail me your new co-ordinates, I have an e-mail for you
that went to your old address.

Regards

Joanna

my address is my first name at carterconsulting point org point uk

--
Joanna Carter [TeamB]
Consultant Software Engineer

chrisC

Dec 9, 2005, 4:50:37 AM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:
> Members of the Delphi Community,

Many thanks again for making our beloved language,IDE & compiler a
resounding success!
Best wishes to your future endeavor and may the spirit of Delphi be with
you.

Chris

David Clegg

Dec 9, 2005, 5:05:13 AM12/9/05
Roby DP wrote:

> Thanks for your D2006, is FANTASTIC!

I think there may have been 1 or 200 other people involved with that
one :-)

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Without TV, it is hard to know when one day ends and another begins."
- Homer Simpson

Roby DP <roberto at dellapasqua dot

Dec 9, 2005, 5:02:58 AM12/9/05
Good luck Danny, does google have a place for me too? LOL

Thanks for your D2006, is FANTASTIC!

Roby DP <roberto at dellapasqua dot

Dec 9, 2005, 5:21:27 AM12/9/05
THANKS TO ALL (lol)

Gerrit Beuze

Dec 9, 2005, 6:18:54 AM12/9/05
Thanks for all your work & lots of good luck in your new carreer Danny,

Gerrit Beuze
ModelMaker Tools

Ingvar Nilsen

Dec 9, 2005, 6:29:19 AM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> There were other suitors (including the obvious one)

Didn't you agree not to reveal our meetings?
<g>

Anyhows, what you write about Borland and the future course is
reassuring, thanks a lot for maintaining the communication with the
Delphi community!

--
Ingvar Nilsen
http://www.ingvarius.com

Leonel

Dec 9, 2005, 5:29:38 AM12/9/05

Good luck on your new job, hope you have a lot of fun.

Don't forget to get a new blog and keep us posted on your new
adventures. I'm sure I'm not the only one curious.

--
Leonel

Simon Kissel

Dec 9, 2005, 6:42:23 AM12/9/05
Danny,

thanks for the open words in your posting.

Also thanks a lot of all the support you've given me during the last
few years. This sure will be missed by me and many others.

I also hope that with the not-so-evil management Borland now seems to
be getting, the compiler team will see some new talents, so the big
gap you are leaving somehow get's filled.

I wish you the very best of luck with Google!

Simon

John Herbster

Dec 9, 2005, 7:02:43 AM12/9/05

"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote

> As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup,
> I have left Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

Danny,

Thank you for your work at Borland.

I wish the best of luck for you at Google.
But more than luck, I hope that you and Google
will prosper from good ideas and hard work.

Best regards, JohnH (John Herbster)

Phillip Flores

Dec 9, 2005, 7:09:51 AM12/9/05
Dear DAnny,

Thank you for clearing the air as for your departure and thank you for
all your contributions to making Delphi what it is now and to what it
will be in the future as you have been part of the setting its
foundations. Good luck and have fun at Google.

--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Pierre le Riche

Dec 9, 2005, 7:49:28 AM12/9/05
Hi Danny,

Good luck at your new job, and thanks for all the great work you've done on
Delphi for all those years.

Best Regards,
Pierre

Kristofer Skaug

Dec 9, 2005, 8:11:55 AM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:
> Members of the Delphi Community,

Hi Danny,

thanks for writing, and best of luck at Google!

--
Kristofer

Hilton Evans

Dec 9, 2005, 8:39:02 AM12/9/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote in message news:xn0earre...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Members of the Delphi Community,

<A very classy message>

Good luck! Have lots of fun!
--

Hilton Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Donald Shimoda

Dec 9, 2005, 7:43:18 AM12/9/05
Danny:

Thanks a lot for all your work and dedication. I guess you get bored
of many all Borland facts, like the "No new hires in Scotts Valley"
edict, so is easy to understand your election.
Good luck in your new jobs and see you later!

Donald

SiegfriedN

Dec 9, 2005, 8:51:45 AM12/9/05
Thank you for the work you put into Delphi and Kylix Compilers.

It is and has been both a pleasure and productive for me to use these
tools! It feels sad that you will not be directly associated with Delphi
and Kylix, but life goes on and I fully respect your decision.

I wish you super success at Google!

Siegfried Niedinger

Andrea Raimondi

Dec 9, 2005, 8:48:27 AM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:
> As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have left
> Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

I'm sure you'll do good there and your colleagues will surely
appreciate your highly technical skills.

> I was not snatched away from Borland, and I am not leaving Borland for
> lack of money. I sought out Google, and I'll be making at Google
> exactly what I made at Borland, which is nicely comfortable but not

Will you re-create Delphi at Google? <g>

> quite frankly, Google outmaneuvered them.

teehee... I can see the chairs flying :D

> Could Borland have bought me back? No, because I didn't leave for
> money. Why, then? Opportunity. I'm going to Google to pursue ideas
> and opportunities that are simply beyond Borland. I love Delphi, I
> know it inside out, but there's a lot more in me than just Delphi.

I think most Delphi community members are well aware of that :-)

> After 15 exciting years doing a wide variety of things at Borland, it's
> time for me to do something /completely/ different.

Mmmmmh... ok, you can't tell us what you're going to do but... well,
will the results of your work be *directly* visible to Google users?
I mean like, architecting some new service or something like that.
This, you can say... :D

> This is not goodbye. This is just changing channels.

Ok, time for salutation from you.

I'm sure that luck is helpful to anybody, but I'm also sure you won't
need so much of it because your technical, personal and professional
skills will surely take you far by themselves alone.

However, good luck, keep us posted :-) and *please*... notify us
if/when you'll be blogging again... :D

Thank you for all.

> -Danny Thorpe

Andrew

Steve Tyrakowski

Dec 9, 2005, 8:47:57 AM12/9/05
In article <xn0earre...@newsgroups.borland.com>, Danny Thorpe
wrote:

> After 15 exciting years doing a wide variety of things at Borland, it's
> time for me to do something /completely/ different.

Best of luck in your new adventure.

Steve Tyrakowski

John Jacobson

Dec 9, 2005, 9:14:33 AM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote in message
<xn0earre...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> I have left
> Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1789

Don Strenczewilk

Dec 9, 2005, 9:18:23 AM12/9/05
<hallmarkcard>
Every day we are faced with tough decisions. Coke or Pepsi, Abercrombie or
American Eagle, Target vs K-Mart, Yahoo vs Google - Who is better?
Thanks for solving one of life's mysteries.
</hallmarkcard>

Best of luck at Google, Danny. Thank you for your many contributions and
attention to detail with the Delphi compiler for all of those years!

Chee Wee (Borland)

Dec 9, 2005, 9:35:10 AM12/9/05
On 9 Dec 2005 00:42:59 -0700, "Danny Thorpe"
<dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote:

>After 15 exciting years doing a wide variety of things at Borland, it's
>time for me to do something /completely/ different.

>-Danny Thorpe
>Engineer, Google.

Danny,

After many years at the top, you're starting over at the bottom again!

I'm sure your moving to Google took some time to figure out, and
opened up opportunities for both Google, Borland staff and yourself.

I'm sure you will put your mathematical and other talents to good use
in Google.

Good luck, Danny!

Brian Moelk

Dec 9, 2005, 8:41:59 AM12/9/05
> After 15 exciting years doing a wide variety of things at Borland,
> it's time for me to do something /completely/ different.

Thanks for all your contributions to Delphi the product and Delphi the community.
Good luck with your new opportunity at Google.

--
Brian Moelk
bmo...@NObrainSPAMendeavorHERE.com

Jim Rowell

Dec 9, 2005, 9:58:35 AM12/9/05
Thanks, Danny.
Best of luck wherever you go.

--
Jim Rowell

Bruce McGee

Dec 9, 2005, 9:02:41 AM12/9/05
Thanks for posting some details. Especially the pains you and Borland
went through to make the transition less painful and in some ways even
positive. Think of the person who's getting your old office. That's a
couple years of bragging rights by itself. :)

See you in Toronto.

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Hrvoje Brozovic

Dec 9, 2005, 10:02:25 AM12/9/05
Goodbye, and thanks for all the Fish(facts).

Danny Thorpe wrote:
> Members of the Delphi Community,

> -Danny Thorpe
> Engineer, Google.

Iman L Crawford

Dec 9, 2005, 10:12:38 AM12/9/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote in

> After 15 exciting years doing a wide variety of things at Borland, it's
> time for me to do something /completely/ different.

Best of luck and hopefully the new job will be as rewarding as expected.

--
Iman

John Wester [Group W]

Dec 9, 2005, 10:22:07 AM12/9/05
In article <xn0earre...@newsgroups.borland.com>,
dth...@bozofilter.borland.com says...
> <snip>

All the best Danny.

Looks like I'll never get to go to your "Reading the Tea Leaves"
tutorial now.

--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Roddy Pratt

Dec 9, 2005, 10:44:43 AM12/9/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote in message
> As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have left

> Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

I hope you have the best of luck in your new role - and make sure you enjoy
it!

...and to think that I believed the eBay auction for "Delphi 2005 Architect"
was for a piece of software. Dang.

Thanks again,
- Roddy

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Dec 9, 2005, 10:45:06 AM12/9/05
"Chee Wee (Borland)" <cwc...@borland.com> wrote in message

> After many years at the top, you're starting over at the bottom again!

Engineer is the bottom? I would've thought janitor, or corporate lawyer,
or...

--

Download the latest draft (version 1.25, updated 12/6/2005) of
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: A Truer History of the United States,

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Dec 9, 2005, 10:43:27 AM12/9/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote in message

> This is not goodbye. This is just changing channels.

This is like Brett Favre leaving the Packers (hasn't happened yet, but will
someday, hopefully not by the pine box route).

All the best to you, Danny, and thanks for the memories.

David Berneda

Dec 9, 2005, 11:12:57 AM12/9/05
Hola Danny,
Muchísimas gracias por tu ayuda durante todos estos años, te deseo la mejor
suerte !
Subliminal: Si necesitan charts.google.com , no duden en llamarnos... <GG>
david berneda

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Dec 9, 2005, 11:46:52 AM12/9/05
"David Berneda" <da...@steema.com> wrote in message

> Subliminal: Si necesitan charts.google.com , no duden en llamarnos... <GG>

Translation: It's required to ride chariots to google, no dudes on llamas.

Holger Flick

Dec 9, 2005, 11:46:27 AM12/9/05
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother wrote:
> This is like Brett Favre leaving the Packers (hasn't happened yet, but will
> someday, hopefully not by the pine box route).

He will retire after next season; he won't do it this year with a losing
record.

--
Holger

Blog: http://delphi2006.blogspot.com

Florent Ouchet

Dec 9, 2005, 12:04:08 PM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:
> Borland has also committed to opening up
> several new positions in the Delphi group in Scotts Valley, which may
> be filled with entry or mid level engineering talent.

Steve Trefethen said exactly the opposite on his blog.

<quote from http://blogs.borland.com/stevet/archive/2005/11/16/22095.aspx>
We're looking for engineers interested in working on the IDE as well as
the compiler. These positions are not entry level and require in depth
knowledge of software development.
</quote>

--
Florent Ouchet

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Dec 9, 2005, 12:07:33 PM12/9/05
Danny,

Allow me to be the 37th person to say thanks for the great work you've
done on Delphi and the technical insights you've given me, and I look
forward to installing a version of Firefox with your stuff in it.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Dec 9, 2005, 12:06:42 PM12/9/05
Florent Ouchet wrote:

> Danny Thorpe wrote:
> > Borland has also committed to opening up
> > several new positions in the Delphi group in Scotts Valley, which
> > may be filled with entry or mid level engineering talent.
>
> Steve Trefethen said exactly the opposite on his blog.

There is no contradiction if Danny and Steve are talking about
different positions.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: http://learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

Dejan Staniè

Dec 9, 2005, 12:41:44 PM12/9/05
Florent Ouchet wrote:

Perhaps solid in-depth knowlegde of software developement beyond entry
level is necessary to apply for these new positions?

Beyond trivial semantics, I see no contradiction between these two
statements.

LP,
Dejan

David Farrell-Garcia

Dec 9, 2005, 12:39:56 PM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> Members of the Delphi Community,

I would like to add my thanks to the long list. Best of luck on your
new challenge.

--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Posted with XanaNews 1.17.6.6

David Farrell-Garcia

Dec 9, 2005, 12:44:08 PM12/9/05
David Berneda wrote:

> Subliminal: Si necesitan charts.google.com , no duden
> en llamarnos... <GG> david berneda

LOL! Que Chiste!

Nicholas Sherlock

Dec 9, 2005, 2:00:26 PM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:
> As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have left
> Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

Have fun! Thanks for all you've done for the greatest development tool
on the planet!

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Abdullah Kauchali

Dec 9, 2005, 2:42:13 PM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:
> As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have left
> Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

Deserter! You ought to be shot! ;-P

(What? You think it's possible to simply walk away from the cult like
this?) :-D

Here's to you! Cheers, and please do keep the bloggs rolling.

Donald Shimoda

Dec 9, 2005, 2:08:29 PM12/9/05
David Berneda wrote:

> Hola Danny,
> Muchmsimas gracias por tu ayuda durante todos estos aqos, te deseo la

> mejor suerte !
> Subliminal: Si necesitan charts.google.com , no duden en llamarnos...
> <GG> david berneda

Donald

Google ya tiene charts y son de la puta madre. Mira sino Google
analythics.

Donald.

Kyle A. Miller

Dec 9, 2005, 3:12:38 PM12/9/05
Danny, we met a few times at BorCons and mini-BorCons in Dallas. I
always found your conversations and presentations interesting. I will
not forget the story of your brother using Duke Nukem 3D to sell
building plans to prospective clients.

Thank you for your contributions. Enjoy your new opportunities. I hope
we meet again at a future DevCon. Don't be a stranger.

"Godspeed little doodle."

Ralf Mimoun

Dec 9, 2005, 3:13:59 PM12/9/05
Danny,

thank you very much for all you gave to the Delphi community. And please
make sure that entering "Danny Thorpe" (and all typos you have read over the
years :-) in google will lead directly to your blog!

Ralf

José González D'Amico

Dec 9, 2005, 2:13:44 PM12/9/05
Andrea Raimondi wrote:

> Will you re-create Delphi at Google? <g>

I don't think so. The acronym GDS is already taken by Google Desktop
Search.
There's no place for Google Development Studio. :)

--
José

José González D'Amico

Dec 9, 2005, 2:17:05 PM12/9/05
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother wrote:

> "David Berneda" <da...@steema.com> wrote in message
>
> > Subliminal: Si necesitan charts.google.com , no duden en
> > llamarnos... <GG>
>
> Translation: It's required to ride chariots to google, no dudes on
> llamas.

Qué?

Translation: What?

--
José

José González D'Amico

Dec 9, 2005, 2:20:11 PM12/9/05
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:

> Danny,
>
> Allow me to be the 37th person to say thanks for the great work
> you've done on Delphi and the technical insights you've given me, and
> I look forward to installing a version of Firefox with your stuff in
> it.

Danny, perhaps your greater contribution to Firefox could be reducing
its memory footprint...
<g>

--
José

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Dec 9, 2005, 2:24:14 PM12/9/05
Donald Shimoda wrote:

> Google ya tiene charts y son [...]

Cancele su poste. Por favor, usa palabras que son apropiadas para
ninos en este grupo.

Gracias.

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Donald Shimoda

Dec 9, 2005, 2:27:27 PM12/9/05
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:

> Donald Shimoda wrote:
>
> > Google ya tiene charts y son [...]
>
> Cancele su poste. Por favor, usa palabras que son apropiadas para
> ninos en este grupo.
>
> Gracias.

Craig, este grupo no lo leen ninos.De todas maneras tenes razon en que
no debo usar lenguaje inapropiado aqui.
Saludos.

Donald

Donald Shimoda

Dec 9, 2005, 2:25:48 PM12/9/05
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother wrote:

> "David Berneda" <da...@steema.com> wrote in message
>
> > Subliminal: Si necesitan charts.google.com , no duden en
> > llamarnos... <GG>
>
> Translation: It's required to ride chariots to google, no dudes on
> llamas.

Sorry Craig, i will reprhase>
David, Google have great charts, see google analythics, a beatifoul
piece of software.

Donald

Kevin

Dec 9, 2005, 3:31:17 PM12/9/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:
> As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have left
> Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

Thanks for your contributions to Delphi and all the best in your new
position. Also, please let us know what your new blog URL is- you will
keep blogging I hope?!

Cheers,
Kevin.

Thomas Steinmaurer

Dec 9, 2005, 4:07:46 PM12/9/05
>>Will you re-create Delphi at Google? <g>
>

> I don't think so. The acronym GDS is already taken by Google Desktop
> Search.

Groton Database Systems. Sorry could not resist. ;-)

Regards,
Thomas

Cool Guy

Dec 9, 2005, 4:22:21 PM12/9/05
"HelpFreeLeonardPeltier...WriteTo: " <in...@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup>
wrote:

>> Subliminal: Si necesitan charts.google.com , no duden en llamarnos... <GG>
>
> Translation: It's required to ride chariots to google, no dudes on llamas.

LOL.

David Berneda

Dec 9, 2005, 4:34:55 PM12/9/05
Hi Donald
I know, I use them for our own sites and AdSense ads <g>
What I mean are (live) charts as a returning result for queries, in a similar way you can search for images.
Our charting tool (TeeChart) has an automatic html <table> parser to show table cells in a graphical way as a chart, so its just a
matter of preparsing zillions of cached html pages looking for "chartable" tables on them... <g>
regards
david
www.teechart.com

David Clegg

Dec 9, 2005, 5:28:33 PM12/9/05
Roddy Pratt wrote:

> ...and to think that I believed the eBay auction for "Delphi 2005
> Architect" was for a piece of software. Dang.

LOL!

--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dcl...@gmail.com
http://cc.borland.com/Author.aspx?ID=72299

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Marge, it takes two people to lie. One to lie and one to listen." -
Homer Simpson

John Jacobson

Dec 9, 2005, 7:15:10 PM12/9/05
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <craig_...@nospam.please [a.k.a.acm.org]> wrote in
message <4399...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> usa palabras que son apropiadas para
> ninos en este grupo

You mean like "boogers", "poo-poo-head" and "yuck"?

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1791

Dennis Landi

Dec 9, 2005, 8:19:52 PM12/9/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote in message

> As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have left
> Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

Best of luck Danny. Thanks for all you've done on our behalf.

-- d
Fastcode Project: http://www.fastcodeproject.org/

Erwien Saputra

Dec 10, 2005, 1:11:13 AM12/10/05

"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote:
>Members of the Delphi Community,
>
>As you've no doubt read in other threads in this newsgroup, I have left
>Borland to seek new opportunities at Google.

Google is very lucky to have you. Your hard work for Delphi is greatly appreciated. I wish you all the best.

Wien.

Marco Caspers

Dec 10, 2005, 3:34:42 AM12/10/05
Abdullah Kauchali wrote:

<snip>

> Deserter! You ought to be shot! ;-P

This kind of "funny" remarks is what fuels increased levels of violence
and murder in the world.

Killing someone with a gun is funny you say here.

_It's not_

Robert Love

Dec 10, 2005, 7:33:19 AM12/10/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> This is not goodbye. This is just changing channels.
>
> -Danny Thorpe
> Engineer, Google.

Good Luck! If you ever want to come back to Utah and try snowmobiling
let me know ;-)

Robert Love

Danny Thorpe

Dec 10, 2005, 3:12:22 PM12/10/05
Turbo Man wrote:

> Hi Danny,
>
> Excuse me. do you have just only an engineer position at google?
> You must have much more greater position, that's your merited
> reward.

The work is more important than the title.

-Danny

Liz

Dec 10, 2005, 3:29:04 PM12/10/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> The work is more important than the title.

But we'll still miss you!

--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: http://www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Danny Thorpe

Dec 10, 2005, 3:27:49 PM12/10/05
Andrea Raimondi wrote:

> Will you re-create Delphi at Google? <g>

No.

> > After 15 exciting years doing a wide variety of things at Borland,
> > it's time for me to do something completely different.
>
> Mmmmmh... ok, you can't tell us what you're going to do but... well,
> will the results of your work be directly visible to Google users?

Yes.

> I mean like, architecting some new service or something like that.

Nothing so grand for the first project.

> However, good luck, keep us posted :-) and please... notify us
> if/when you'll be blogging again... :D

Ah, but I *have* been blogging elsewhere, and for quite awhile. Just
not on software, and not under my name. (No Locke or Demosthenes
comments, please)

Thanks for the kind words,

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Dec 10, 2005, 3:33:00 PM12/10/05
John Wester [Group W] wrote:

> In article <xn0earre...@newsgroups.borland.com>,
> dth...@bozofilter.borland.com says...
> > <snip>
>
> All the best Danny.
>
> Looks like I'll never get to go to your "Reading the Tea Leaves"
> tutorial now.

Never say never. There's nothing Delphi specific about the debugging
techniques I try to cover in the Tea Leaves talks.

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Dec 10, 2005, 3:46:54 PM12/10/05
Roddy Pratt wrote:

> I hope you have the best of luck in your new role - and make sure you
> enjoy it!

Thanks.

> ...and to think that I believed the eBay auction for "Delphi 2005
> Architect" was for a piece of software. Dang.

LOL!

Given that I will never be able to wear a fraction of the 15 years of
accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay garage
sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Dec 10, 2005, 3:56:39 PM12/10/05
Florent Ouchet wrote:

> Danny Thorpe wrote:
> > Borland has also committed to opening up
> > several new positions in the Delphi group in Scotts Valley, which
> > may be filled with entry or mid level engineering talent.
>
> Steve Trefethen said exactly the opposite on his blog.
>
> <quote from
> http://blogs.borland.com/stevet/archive/2005/11/16/22095.aspx> We're
> looking for engineers interested in working on the IDE as well as the
> compiler. These positions are not entry level and require in depth
> knowledge of software development. </quote>

I think Steve's just protecting his inbox from a flood of unqualified
applications. ;>

Steve wrote that blog entry just days after Borland hired longtime
Delphi intern David Lock into an entry-level R&D position. Two new
internships were part of the promised allocations. The other
allocations may be committed to mid level positions, or may be filled
by senior people. A lot of it depends on who applies.

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Dec 10, 2005, 4:02:32 PM12/10/05
Ralf Mimoun wrote:

A few bucks thrown at AdWords will take care of that. Though, the
typos could get to be expensive... ;>

-Danny

Ralf Mimoun

Dec 10, 2005, 5:08:09 PM12/10/05
Danny,

Danny Thorpe wrote:

> A few bucks thrown at AdWords will take care of that. Though, the
> typos could get to be expensive... ;>

Save the money, your blog is google hit #1 right now :-) And one day, when
we are all in a nursing home, you'll get a beer. Alcohol free and thinned,
yes, but a beer.

Ralf

Joe Hendricks

Dec 10, 2005, 5:07:38 PM12/10/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote

> Given that I will never be able to wear a fraction of the 15 years of
> accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
> room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay garage
> sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

Absolutely (depending on size) :-)

..and have a wildly fun & successful time at Google !
--
JoeH
[ write a letter, save a life - http://www.amnesty.org ]

Liz

Dec 10, 2005, 4:18:01 PM12/10/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> Given that I will never be able to wear a fraction of the 15 years of
> accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
> room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay
> garage sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

OMG yes!

Especially if you have some in "you are so fat" size.. which I doubt
you do....

Roddy Pratt

Dec 10, 2005, 5:50:14 PM12/10/05

> Given that I will never be able to wear a fraction of the 15 years of
> accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
> room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay garage
> sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

Nah, just ship it all in a container to me in the UK. The environmental
hazard laws are *really* lax here... ;)

Seriously, please make sure when you do list it on ebay that you'll do
worldwide delivery - [it will be a small sop for the lack of a unicode
VCL... <ducks below parapet>]

- Roddy

Florent Ouchet

Dec 10, 2005, 5:49:39 PM12/10/05
Danny Thorpe wrote :

> I think Steve's just protecting his inbox from a flood of unqualified
> applications. ;>

This is an easily understandable explanation :p

> Steve wrote that blog entry just days after Borland hired longtime
> Delphi intern David Lock into an entry-level R&D position. Two new
> internships were part of the promised allocations. The other
> allocations may be committed to mid level positions, or may be filled
> by senior people. A lot of it depends on who applies.

You described lots of changes in the Delphi R&D, moving engineers and
developers to other parts/levels of the project should stimulate their
imagination, hiring new developers is a good way to introduce fresh and
oxygened blood.
I am impatient to see results of this melt.

Because you are introducing fresh and oxygened blood into a development
team, it would be great to translate this project into pascal ;)
Well, I hope you enjoy your new position, for sure every user of delphi
wish you to success.

--
Florent Ouchet

Liz

Dec 10, 2005, 4:57:15 PM12/10/05
Roddy Pratt wrote:

> Nah, just ship it all in a container to me in the UK. The

> environmental hazard laws are really lax here... ;)

Bah only if you share with me!

Danny Thorpe

Dec 10, 2005, 6:56:40 PM12/10/05
Ralf Mimoun wrote:

> Danny,
>
> Danny Thorpe wrote:
> > A few bucks thrown at AdWords will take care of that. Though, the
> > typos could get to be expensive... ;>
>
> Save the money, your blog is google hit #1 right now :-)

The Delphi Compiler Core blog tops the search results, but if I were to
start my own personal blog (note the distinction), it would not make it
onto the first page of search results until it was referenced by enough
web pages to push its page rank above Danny Thorpe the UK boxer (who
just lost against Amir Kahn), Danny Thorpe the Texas musician, Danny
Thorpe the South Carolina politician, and all those Thorpe athletes and
shark attack victims in Australia.

On the other hand, a few well placed AdWords would practically
guarantee placement of a link on the first page of results - not in the
raw results, but in the sponsored links.

-Danny

Joe Hendricks

Dec 10, 2005, 8:06:38 PM12/10/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.google.com> wrote

> On the other hand, a few well placed AdWords would practically
> guarantee placement of a link on the first page of results - not in the
> raw results, but in the sponsored links.

..for the first month :-)

Adwords has a way of working quite well at first but then trailing
off quickly in my (and my clients' ) experience.

Chee Wee (Borland)

Dec 10, 2005, 11:24:58 PM12/10/05
On 10 Dec 2005 13:46:54 -0700, "Danny Thorpe"
<dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote:

>accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
>room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay garage
>sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

Yes, send itto me!!!

Mike Vance

Dec 11, 2005, 12:58:15 AM12/11/05
> Thank you, thank you, thank you, for making sure that you left on a high
> note. BDS 2006 is great! Have fun at the new job!
>
> Ryan

Dittos. BDS 2006 and the announced roadmap are truly high notes and
lend towards great optimism for Delphi's future.

Matt Jacobs

Dec 11, 2005, 4:02:33 AM12/11/05
Good luck to you.

If you need a burger, try In-N-Out. They're very close to the Google
campus.

In-N-Out Burger
1159 N. Rengstorff Ave.
Mountain View, California 94043

You can thank me later.

Dave White

Dec 11, 2005, 4:07:56 AM12/11/05
"Danny Thorpe" <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote in message

> Given that I will never be able to wear a fraction of the 15 years of
> accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
> room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay garage
> sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

Definitely interested - stick them on e-bay and sign one, and I'll pay a
pretty penny :)

I've been in software for about 20 years now, and in that time there are a
few names that stand out - yours is one.

Thanks for all your past work Danny; it was a bit of a shock (and surprise)
to hear you were leaving, but good luck in your future endeavors - and don't
be a stranger.

Dave White

Florent Ouchet

Dec 11, 2005, 4:24:51 AM12/11/05
Danny Thorpe a écrit :

> Given that I will never be able to wear a fraction of the 15 years of
> accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
> room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay garage
> sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

/-\
| |
| |
| |
| |/-\/-\/-\
/\ | |
| | | M E |
| \| |
\ /

:)

Sean Hoffman

Dec 11, 2005, 5:02:28 AM12/11/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> LOL!
>
> Given that I will never be able to wear a fraction of the 15 years of
> accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
> room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay garage
> sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

Totally. I think wearing a Borland t-shirt around Austin would be cool;
it would definitely crumple up some eyebrows. I've also been trying to
get some AMD shirts for a while too, and let's not forget good ol' OS/2).

BTW, good luck in your new adventure. It totally sounds to me like you
just wanted to do something different, and I wish you all the best at that.

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dec 11, 2005, 5:38:31 AM12/11/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> shark attack victims in Australia.

Yeah, I had people asking me if that was you. I figured I better make
sure it wasn't, so looked up the news report <g>

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dec 11, 2005, 5:39:20 AM12/11/05
Matt Jacobs wrote:

> If you need a burger, try In-N-Out. They're very close to the Google
> campus.

Don't they have a Gulp-And-Blow?

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

John Kaster (Borland)

Dec 11, 2005, 9:20:00 AM12/11/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> This is not goodbye. This is just changing channels.

Thanks for the post, Danny. Let me know when you want to switch to the
"Lunch channel" ;)

--
John Kaster http://blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: http://qc.borland.com

John Jacobson

Dec 11, 2005, 12:33:20 PM12/11/05
Danny Thorpe <dth...@bozofilter.borland.com> wrote in message
<xn0eatpy...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Ah, but I *have* been blogging elsewhere, and for quite awhile. Just
> not on software, and not under my name. (No Locke or Demosthenes
> comments, please)

Care to help us find this? I'd be interested in reading your non-software
comments.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1797

Danny Thorpe

Dec 11, 2005, 12:06:21 PM12/11/05
John Jacobson wrote:

> Care to help us find this? I'd be interested in reading your
> non-software comments.

Not really. It's mostly just a scratch pad for experimenting with CSS
styles and AdSense response rates to different content. And maybe a
little bit of messing with people's heads... ;>

It's findable, but I'm not going to make it easy for you.

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Dec 11, 2005, 12:09:42 PM12/11/05
Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:

> Danny Thorpe wrote:
>
> > shark attack victims in Australia.
>
> Yeah, I had people asking me if that was you. I figured I better make
> sure it wasn't, so looked up the news report <g>

Well, the weird part was that there was a Daniel Thorpe eaten by a
shark while I was in Sydney a few years ago. Fortunately for me, the
shark was in Perth...

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Dec 11, 2005, 12:13:08 PM12/11/05
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> Danny Thorpe wrote:
>
> > This is not goodbye. This is just changing channels.
>
> Thanks for the post, Danny. Let me know when you want to switch to the
> "Lunch channel" ;)

Anytime, John. Your call.

-Danny

John Kaster (Borland)

Dec 11, 2005, 1:48:32 PM12/11/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> Anytime, John. Your call.

Cool. Back in town just last night, so I'll be in touch before the end
of the year.

John Kaster (Borland)

Dec 11, 2005, 1:47:54 PM12/11/05
Florent Ouchet wrote:

> Steve Trefethen said exactly the opposite on his blog.

Not exactly the opposite, but there are more positions open than Danny
or Steve were referring to, and anyone is welcome to send me their
resume if they're interested.

I'll pass it on after reviewing it.

Bob Swart

Dec 11, 2005, 5:24:43 PM12/11/05
Hi Danny,

First of all: all the best in your new endeavor. Thanks for all the
wonderful things you've done for Pascal and Delphi. You were one of a
team, but my life would have been different without it (and so would my
kids' names)...

> Given that I will never be able to wear a fraction of the 15 years of
> accumulated Borland shirts that are now stacked in boxes in my living
> room (threatening to become part of our holiday photos), an eBay garage
> sale might not be a bad idea... any interest?

I'm sure you could raise a lot by selling authographed shirts...

> -Danny

Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)

--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://drbob42.com/weblog.xml

Matt Jacobs

Dec 12, 2005, 12:38:25 AM12/12/05
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <rot13....@enqfbsg.pbz.nh> wrote:

>Matt Jacobs wrote:
>
>> If you need a burger, try In-N-Out. They're very close to the Google
>> campus.
>
>Don't they have a Gulp-And-Blow?

You mean McDonald's? There about 100m west of In-N-Out. ;-)

Mike Orriss [RemObjects Software]

Dec 12, 2005, 3:31:47 AM12/12/05
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> Back in town just last night

Ah, I replied to your email while you were away and I got your stock
'out of town' reply.

If you don't have it, I will re-send.

--
Mike Orriss

Fikret Hasovic

Dec 12, 2005, 4:09:47 AM12/12/05
Danny Thorpe wrote:

> This is not goodbye. This is just changing channels.

All the best in your new endeavor.

Thanks for all wonderful things you've done for Delphi!

--
Best regards,
Fikret Hasovic http://fikret.fbtalk.net

* Firebird Foundation member.