Delphi 2006 beta

Peter Anderson

Oct 13, 2005, 3:03:37 AM10/13/05

Yesterday I had the great displeasure of playing with D2006 beta, OR AT LEAST TRYING TO. First the damn thing fails to recognize my HD free space, then the installation starts to drop a gazillion megabytes and fills up my whole HD, then the rollback fails and leaves my .NET installation completely screwed up. I can no longer run VS.NET 2005 and whenever I try to reinstall the .NET Framework it says something about corrupted assemblies. Worse, I can't run the .NET application that I use for my day-to-day work (I work as a writer for a literary magazine). Needless to say that this nasty incident is affecting my poetry. I HOPE I DON'T LOSE MY WORK.

Thanks Borland for bringing us TOP QUALITY stuff, AGAIN!

Will DeWitt Jr.

Oct 13, 2005, 4:09:07 AM10/13/05
Peter Anderson wrote:

> Yesterday I had the great displeasure of playing with D2006 beta, OR
> AT LEAST TRYING TO.

Are you on the private beta or are you a journalist who received an
advance copy? If you're on the private beta, I'd guess posting this
would be a violation of any agreement you signed.

> First the damn thing fails to recognize my HD
> free space, then the installation starts to drop a gazillion
> megabytes and fills up my whole HD, then the rollback fails and
> leaves my .NET installation completely screwed up. I can no longer
> run VS.NET 2005 and whenever I try to reinstall the .NET Framework it
> says something about corrupted assemblies. Worse, I can't run the
> .NET application that I use for my day-to-day work (I work as a
> writer for a literary magazine). Needless to say that this nasty
> incident is affecting my poetry. I HOPE I DON'T LOSE MY WORK.
>
> Thanks Borland for bringing us TOP QUALITY stuff, AGAIN!

Yikes... that's not a good sign. I'm still upbeat about D2006, but
maybe I'll hold off till a demo is available before throwing money at
it...

Will

--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--

http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=7324

Arthur Hoornweg

Oct 13, 2005, 4:32:55 AM10/13/05
Will DeWitt Jr. schreef:

> Peter Anderson wrote:
>

>>Yesterday I had the great displeasure of playing with D2006 beta, OR
>>AT LEAST TRYING TO.

... Maybe he was being sarcastic, and referring to Delphi 2005 ???

--
Arthur Hoornweg

(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"
from my e-mail address. Leave the rest of the address intact
including the "antispam" part. I had to take this measure to
counteract unsollicited mail.)

Will DeWitt Jr.

Oct 13, 2005, 4:49:28 AM10/13/05
Arthur Hoornweg wrote:

> ... Maybe he was being sarcastic, and referring to Delphi 2005 ???

Oooh, that's a possibility. I'd just be really surprised to see someone
break their NDA and post about the beta.

Andy Syms

Oct 13, 2005, 5:43:34 AM10/13/05
Will DeWitt Jr. wrote:

> Are you on the private beta or are you a journalist who received an
> advance copy?

Or a bootleg copy...

--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd

Will DeWitt Jr.

Oct 13, 2005, 5:50:06 AM10/13/05
Andy Syms wrote:

> Or a bootleg copy...

LOL, I'd hope nobody would be sharing it out. Or at least, if someone
did, Borland would have a way to track the leak.

Matthew Jones

Oct 13, 2005, 7:39:00 AM10/13/05
> > Thanks Borland for bringing us TOP QUALITY stuff, AGAIN!
>
> Yikes... that's not a good sign.

I thought that was the whole point of Beta's - to test things like
installs. I'm sure the OP had suitable disk backups etc - it would be
foolhardy to install a Beta without a good backup first given they are so
cheap and easy.

/Matthew Jones/

Liz

Oct 13, 2005, 11:32:45 AM10/13/05
Matthew Jones wrote:

> I thought that was the whole point of Beta's - to test things like
> installs. I'm sure the OP had suitable disk backups etc - it would be
> foolhardy to install a Beta without a good backup first given they
> are so cheap and easy.

me too. I thought the fact that every beta Ive ever seen says "do not
use on a production box" and is well known generally that beta's as a
whole crash, make a mess, and arent right..:) there are exceptions, but
they are few.. thats why its a beta :)

--
Liz the Brit