Custom cursor with shadow

Herre de Jonge

Jun 11, 2007, 6:55:19 AM6/11/07

Is there a way to add the shadow to custom cursors? I use
LoadCursor(), but it shows without shadow.

(I found some suggestions about creating a cursor with alpha
channel etc., but then it will look different for users who
turned off the shadows. I want XP to generate this shadow,
the way it does when I assign this cursor in the mouse
properties.)

Thanks in advance,
Herre

David M

Jun 12, 2007, 1:49:27 AM6/12/07
I've just been looking at this myself, and I don't know. I ended up
creating a custom cursor as you mention and just using that.

A bit of googling showed me that there appears to be a registry setting, one
undocumented bit of which indicates if cursor shadows are turned on or not.
You could try having two versions of your cursor and loading the appropriate
one based on that. I haven't; our app currently uses alpha-blended cursors
all the time.

If it really does generate shadows on the fly, it may be using one of the
undocumented APIs that a small amount of documentation was released for
recently, due to the EU case. I haven't got a link handy but Google would
help you find them.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with interest, maybe someone else will
have the answer...

Cheers,

David

"Herre de Jonge" <hdej...@ravelin.nl> wrote in message

Herre de Jonge

Jun 12, 2007, 2:49:44 AM6/12/07

> A bit of googling showed me that there appears to be a registry setting, one
> undocumented bit of which indicates if cursor shadows are turned on or not.

This should be the setting that can be toggled from the mouse
properties.

> You could try having two versions of your cursor and loading the appropriate
> one based on that. I haven't; our app currently uses alpha-blended cursors
> all the time.

This is exactly what I what to avoid doing. IMHO Windows should
handle this in the LoadCursor() function (what else is its
purpose), but apparently this is not the case.

> I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with interest, maybe someone else will
> have the answer...

I hope so.

Take care,
Herre