Quicksilver initialization issue

dw235

Dec 1, 2011, 9:06:20 AM12/1/11
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Mac OS 10.7.2 - in preferences I've set Quicksilver to launch at
login. The initialization only seems to go so far. The large QS
freezes at approximately 25% opacity on fade out. The result is a
Quicksilver app that will open the QS interface when I hit the hotkey
but then won't take keyboard entry. It just stays blank.

If I close Quicksilver and restart the application it then works as it
should.

Thanks,
Dave.

Rob McBroom

Dec 1, 2011, 2:15:50 PM12/1/11
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com

Sounds a lot like https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/issues/580

I’m stumped at the moment.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

David Nicholls

Dec 1, 2011, 7:09:33 PM12/1/11
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Exact same symptoms as I'm seeing (OS X 10.7.2). My work around is to turn off run at log in and run manually after log in. Glad to see it's repeatable. My machine is a MBP with 8Gigs RAM, a 2.5 i7 processor and 512 Gig SSD, and an AMD Radeon HD6770M graphics processor.

DN

mmcglynn

Dec 2, 2011, 8:03:05 AM12/2/11
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I Have the same issue. Lion 10.7.2, 2.7 Ghz.

Shame, because I have used QS forever and don't want to let it go...

Jon Stovell

Dec 2, 2011, 9:48:13 PM12/2/11
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
As a workaround, try this method. It also has the added benefit of
making sure that QS is one of the very first things to load when you
log in, rather than one of the last.

1. Turn off the Start at login option in QS's preferences.
2. Paste the text below into a new plain text file in TextEdit. Remove
the annoying line breaks that Google groups introduces into long lines
of text. (In particular, <!DOCTYPE plist ... PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> is
all one line, as is the line listing the path to the executable inside
Quicksilver.app under the ProgramArguments key.)
3. Save the file in ~/Library/LaunchAgents with a name like
"QuicksilverStartAtLogin.plist"
4. Open Terminal and enter this command: launchctl load ~/Library/
LaunchAgents/QuicksilverStartAtLogin.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>QuicksilverStartAtLogin</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/Applications/Quicksilver.app/Contents/MacOS/Quicksilver</
string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

key> if you want QS to restart automatically if it ever crashes.

Jon Stovell

Dec 2, 2011, 9:54:31 PM12/2/11
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Actually, you don't need to bother running the Terminal command. For
the job this particular launch agent does, you don't need to. It
should just run the next time you log in.

David Nicholls

Dec 2, 2011, 9:58:41 PM12/2/11
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. That works!

Excellent.

DN

dw235

Dec 5, 2011, 9:26:50 AM12/5/11
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Thank you. This solution worked for me too.

Benarsidass

Dec 6, 2011, 10:06:41 AM12/6/11
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Had the same problem with 10.7.2 and version B63 (3912). The plist
file solution is working so far (thanks Jon), but it seems an update
is in order.

brian_t

Jan 3, 2012, 9:56:58 AM1/3/12
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Hi Jon,

thx for your input. I have read all your suggestions for fixing this
issue and I placed the new plist file in my home Library/
LauncherAgents folder <user>/Library/... yet Quicksilver continues to
hang on my mba startup as had been described here.

Any additional suggestions you may have?

If it is useful hint, when I ran the Terminal command, I got the
message that there is nothing to load.

thank you

Jon Stovell

Jan 3, 2012, 10:10:25 AM1/3/12
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Not really, no. As for the error message you got in Terminal, that
usually just means that the launch agent is already loaded.

Rob McBroom

Jan 24, 2012, 1:23:34 PM1/24/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 1, 2011, at 9:06 AM, dw235 wrote:

I was able to reproduce this finally in a test account, but it no longer happens with B64 (which was made available as a pre-release this morning). Could you try it out and see if it fixes this problem?

(Go to the Extras section of the preferences to tell Quicksilver which type of release to look for. Make sure it’s on “Prerelease Candidates”, then go to the Application section of the prefs and click “Now” to check for the update.)

Ade

Feb 9, 2012, 4:04:56 AM2/9/12
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I had the same problem (2011 MacMini running Lion 10.7.2). Jon's
solution worked for me too. Although I didn't bother running the
Terminal command.

My problem was as reported previously - when 'Start at Login' was
enabled in Preferences; after startup when I enabled Quicksilver with
my hotkey and started typing nothing happened. However if I hit return
the application I wanted to startup would run. Also sometimes the 'QS'
logo would remain on screen until I rebooted.

Many thanks to Jon for your fix.

Jeff Vautin

Feb 23, 2012, 11:08:26 PM2/23/12
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I'm on 10.7.3 running B65 and I'm having this problem. I tried the
fix above without any luck; Quicksilver just doesn't start at all with
the fix in place (unless I'm doing something wrong, which is
possible).

Is anyone else still seeing this problem?

Rob McBroom

Mar 1, 2012, 9:28:34 AM3/1/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I think I may have figured this out. Can everyone affected please run this in a Terminal and post the output here?

defaults read com.blacktree.Quicksilver "Last Update Check"

Thanks.

Oliver Schrenk

Mar 1, 2012, 9:47:09 AM3/1/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
My output says:
2012-02-23 21:48:38 +0000

But be aware that I don't consistently get the faded Splash Icon on startup (only sometimes), what I do get consistently is that Quicksilver consistently hangs up on Startup (process is there, but I can't activate it; If I start it manually again a dialog appears that gives me the option to clear caches; from thereon it works fine)

Howard Melman

Mar 1, 2012, 9:50:42 AM3/1/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I'm on snow leapard and it says:

2011-11-17 10:06:06 -0500

Howard
QS B64 (3915) 10.6.8. MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Due 2.4GHz, 4 GB RAM

Rob McBroom

Mar 1, 2012, 10:04:46 AM3/1/12
On Mar 1, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Howard Melman wrote:

> I'm on snow leapard and it says:
>
> 2011-11-17 10:06:06 -0500

And you’re having the problem where, on login, the “QS” stays on screen and typing in the interface appears to do nothing? And a manual restart after login fixes it?

Jeff Vautin

Mar 1, 2012, 12:17:44 PM3/1/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I get this:

usma-m022-ccm:/ jeffvautin$ defaults read com.blacktree.Quicksilver "Last Update Check"
2012-03-01 12:16:40.756 defaults[3347:707]
The domain/default pair of (/Users/jeffvautin/Library/Preferences/com.blacktree.Quicksilver.plist, Last Update Check) does not exist

Not sure what why it's reporting that?  I do definitely get the start on login problem.

Rob McBroom

Mar 1, 2012, 1:54:23 PM3/1/12
On Mar 1, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Jeff Vautin wrote:

> I get this:
>
> usma-m022-ccm:/ jeffvautin$ defaults read com.blacktree.Quicksilver "Last Update Check"
> 2012-03-01 12:16:40.756 defaults[3347:707]
> The domain/default pair of (/Users/jeffvautin/Library/Preferences/com.blacktree.Quicksilver.plist, Last Update Check) does not exist
>
> Not sure what why it's reporting that? I do definitely get the start on login problem.

That’s what I was hoping to see. I think I’ve fixed it for the next release. Until then, if you manually check for updates, it should set something for that value and fix your problem. You don’t have to install any updates if you don’t want to, just check for them.

Howard Melman

Mar 1, 2012, 5:45:56 PM3/1/12

On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Howard Melman wrote:
>
>> I'm on snow leapard and it says:
>>
>> 2011-11-17 10:06:06 -0500
>
> And you’re having the problem where, on login, the “QS” stays on screen and typing in the interface appears to do nothing? And a manual restart after login fixes it?

No, I'm not having any such problems.

Howard

Jeff Vautin

Mar 1, 2012, 7:27:30 PM3/1/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Thanks for the help.  A manual check for updates did in fact put an entry in the plist, and Quicksilver started just fine at login.

-Jeff

David Nicholls

Mar 1, 2012, 7:44:09 PM3/1/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
It is working now for me, too, and without the plist fix.

DN

Buck Banzai

Mar 10, 2012, 3:24:55 PM3/10/12
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Sorry guys as it seems everyone's happy now with this issue being
fixed but i get slughty the same problem but not that quite
QS seems to freeze ie no text input but still doing its actions ONLY
after i use a trigger that's supposed to use current selection and
then apply de move to action on it and only with current selection
being pulled from finder, more exactly files or folders.
I use the current selection ok for text as i use for many search
engines like google, youtube, etc and it works just fine, but when i
use the current selection to pull up a file or folder and move it to
another location QS does that but then it gets no text input at all
having to cmd+ctrl+q to restart it.
I'm using the latest QS version (b65) and the latest lion os (10.7.3)
Anyone with the same issue? any ideas on how to fix it?
thanks from portugal!

On Mar 2, 12:44 am, David Nicholls <d...@dcnicholls.com> wrote:
> It is working now for me, too, and without the plist fix.
>
> DN
>
> On 02/03/2012, at 11:27 AM, Jeff Vautin wrote:
>

> > Rob,
>
> > Thanks for the help.  A manual check for updates did in fact put an entry in the plist, and Quicksilver started just fine at login.
>
> > -Jeff

Buck Banzai

Mar 10, 2012, 3:27:39 PM3/10/12