Trigger probs continuing - anybody willing to try this one?

tuniTMF

Apr 19, 2010, 1:32:13 PM4/19/10
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I'm trying to set up a trigger for this web site: http://forums.crackberry.com

I can set it up but upon restart it disappears. I must be doing
something really stupid - have been working with this and other
similar triggers for weeks with no joy.

Would someone just try to set one up for the above, and then reboot
and tell me if it remains workable? If it does, tell me what you did!
If it doesn't , maybe its just the site???? Is that possible?

Many thanks for anyone who has the time/patience to work with me on
this.

BTW, am using Mac OS X 10.6.3 and QS 3841 (the latest, I believe).

Many thanks for any help.....

tuni (tearing hair out)

Elastic Threads

Apr 19, 2010, 6:33:17 PM4/19/10
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
There's been an issue for a long time with Quicksilver forgetting
Triggers.

Well, the real issue is when setting a Trigger. If you can get a
triggers set up and Quicksilver remembers it after a restart, then
Quicksilver should have it set permanently. But, for some reason, new
triggers are tricky.

What works pretty well, for me, and for reasons I don't understand, is
the following:

1. Make a new trigger.
2. Close QS preferences.
3. Open QS preferences.
4. Look at your Triggers to see if the one you just made is still
there.
repeat 2 - 4 again.
5. Close QS preferences.
6. Relaunch QS by activating QS, and holding control-cmd-q
7. repeat 2 - 4
8. If your trigger is still there (and, for me, 90% of the time it
still is), you should be good.

If not:
9. repeat step 6.
repeat everything again.

Marcel Hild

Apr 20, 2010, 3:34:44 AM4/20/10
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Could you exactly explain how you setup your trigger?
I have no problem creating new triggers.

Maybe because I have several other custom triggers?
I have the websearch module enabled.
My URLs are beginning with qss-

e.g.
1st pane: qss-http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=***
2nd pane: Search for...
3rd pane: empty (CMD-X)

Hope that helps

tuniTMF

Apr 26, 2010, 1:56:58 PM4/26/10
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
sorry to be so late in my response. life got in the way :(
This is what I do (unsuccessfully):
Copy URL from website i.e., www.crackberry.com
Open QS - Preferences-Triggers - hit +
Paste the URL - action defaults to "open URL"
SAVE
click the little "i" button, bottom rh side of window
select keys i.e., "control k"
Save again
this will usually work while I continue working on my iMac (Snow
Leopard 10.6.3)
Turn off iMac when I'm finished working
Boot up later in the day, an hour later or whatever...
Open QS, try to use key combination to open the URAL....no joy....all
I see under Preferences-triggers is the "null" designation.

So, what the heck am I doing wrong??????

You talk about setting up panes....???Are you not setting up
"triggers" in the Preferences area of QS? I don't understand what
you'redoingto get 1st pane: qss=http://etc....,2nd pane: search for,
3rd pane - epty?

What am I missing here???

many thanks for your interest and help...

tuni

tuniTMF

Apr 26, 2010, 2:00:27 PM4/26/10
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I apologize - have not been able to get back to you sooner. I tried
what you suggested. The trigger for the URL: www.crackberry.com will
usually remain while I'm working during that session, but when I tur
off the iMac, and reboot, and try to use the trigger after opening QS
- that trigger is no longer there....in preferences-triggers - it
shows "null" - so the trigger willnot hold. I most cases I am able to
retain (QS retains) the triggers I set up for apps but not any URLs to
websites) - I don't understand this, do you????
many thanks for any advice,
tuni

Elastic Threads

Apr 26, 2010, 4:47:26 PM4/26/10
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
My best guess is that the crackberry url is not in your QS catalog.
There's a few ways you'd have it in your catalog, most typically by
having crackberry bookmarked in Safari (pretty sure it has to be
Safari, whether or not you use it to browse the web, open it once,
bookmark the crackberry site, and quit it), AND having the Safari QS
plug-in installed.

If do not already have a Safari bookmark of the site and the plug-in
installed: Try and make the bookmark, install the plug-in, restart QS,
and then make the trigger and see if that works.

If it doesn't work there's one more thing to try:

Which is to use the web search plug-in and set up www.crackberry.com
as a "web search" (even though we're just opening the URL and not
searching).
Do this by opening QS prefs,
Go to plug-ins and install the web-search plug-in if you don't already
have it installed
Click the Catalog tab at the top of the prefs window
Select the Custom section of the Catalog in the list on the left
Click the plus button at the bottom of the window and select Web
Search List
The info inspector drawer should pop open on the right and you should
see an empty web search source list
Click the plus button at the bottom of the source list
double click in the name field of the new web search and type
"crackberry" (or whatever"
double click in the url field and type "qss-http://
www.crackberry.com" (the "qss-" is important)
click the rescan catalog button at the bottom of the prefs window
(looks like a reload web page icon in Safari)
Quit and Restart QS
Make the following trigger:
after hitting the plus button to make a new trigger in QS prefs /
triggers
type a "." in the first pane of the trigger set up to make it a text
entry field
type "crack"
tab down to the second pane and type "Find With..."
tab down to a third pane and type "crackberry" to bring up the new
"search engine" you created in your catalog
save and set up a trigger key combination.
try that out.

tuniTMF

Apr 28, 2010, 5:37:22 PM4/28/10
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
o.k. went through the whole process as you described, elastic thread
here is the result:

1. tried ensuring that crackberry was bookmarked in Safari - it was
and so was the Safari plug-in as well as the FireFox plug-in. Created
the trigger - Nope, it didn't work!!

2. did a step-by-step for the "one more thing to try":

checked to see if the web search plug-in was there. it was, (and also
in Catalog) and tried the set up as you described anyway. Didn't
work.

Then removed that web search plug-in and added it again, also adding
into Catalog/Cuystom as you described. Did the rescan etc.....typed
"." and crack in the 1st pane, "find with" in the 2nd etc.....

turned off the iMac and didn't reboot back on until today at 5:00 p.m.
Guess what??? The trigger for Crackberry .com held!!!! whoppie!!!

3. Now the biggest question I have, is this process what I will have
to do each time I want to set up a trigger for a web page/URL?????

a) and would they always have to be bookmarked in Safari first -
instead of Firefox?

b) If so, why did it work? Is there something I should/should not
have in my set up for QS?
c) Why wouldn't it work without going through this pretty involved
process?
d)) if the answer to #3 question here is "yes" - what a PITA!!! ;)

4. Surely QS URL triggers can't be this difficult for everyone or
nobody would continue to use it....

so am asking you for an explanation as to what you think is the reason
why/why not I would have to go through this for another URL?

I DO really thank you so much for the help, the step-by-step process
and your interest.....appreciate your time and effort to stop me from
totally tearing my poor hair out further.....

Awaiting your answer......and again, many, many thanks,
tuni