Spamming

Brad Grissom

May 24, 1994, 6:28:01 AM5/24/94
What does 'spamming' mean? The unhip want to know.

brad

Ken Miller

May 24, 1994, 3:02:11 PM5/24/94
>> What does 'spamming' mean? The unhip want to know.
>
>According to keen-eyed net.observer JMW, it is the practice of responding
>to unwanted mail by filling the offender's mailbox with reply mail as
>thoroughly as a can is filled with Spam.
>
>Carol

No, no, no! The practice described above is known as mailbombing.
Mailbombing is a natural but usually quite misguided response to spamming.
(For example, the spammer responsible for "Skinny Dip" apparently had his
email forwarded to a completely innocent party.)

Spamming is sending out junk mail to a large number of newsgroups or lists.
Recent examples of spam include the infamous Cantor & Siegel Green Card
posting (5000+ newsgroups), Taford's Investment Opportunities (a piker at a
mere 200 or so lists), and the above-mentioned Skinny Dip (all the alt.*
and comp.* groups, at last count).

The use of the word "spam" in this context has its origin in a Monty Python
skit. (Spam (tm) occupies a significant place in Python symbology.)
Downloaded from alt.fan.monty-python:

<begin downloaded document>

From: dja...@mirna.together.uvm.edu (Douglas Jaffe)
Subject: Re: Need Spam script

Steve McGrew (ste...@comtch.iea.com) wrote:
: Could someone either post or mail me the script to the Spam skit? Thanks.

: --
: Brian the Half a Lumberjack

The Spam Sketch from the second series of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and
"Monty Python's Previous Record"

(Spam = Spiced Pork And Ham, a sort of cheap luncheon meat)

Scene: A cafe. One table is occupied by a group of Vikings with horned
helmets on. A man and his wife enter.

Man (Eric Idle): You sit here, dear.
Wife (Graham Chapman in drag): All right.
Man (to Waitress): Morning!
Waitress (Terry Jones, in drag as a bit of a rat-bag): Morning!
Man: Well, what've you got?
Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam;
egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage
and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam
bacon spam tomato and spam;
Vikings (starting to chant): Spam spam spam spam...
Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked
beans spam spam spam...
Vikings (singing): Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a
Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with
truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.
Wife: Have you got anything without spam?
Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in
it.
Wife: I don't want ANY spam!
Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?
Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!
Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam (crescendo through next few lines)
Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?
Waitress: Urgghh!
Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!
Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!)
Waitress: Shut up!
Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon
spam and sausage without the spam.
Wife (shrieks): I don't like spam!
Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it.
I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam
spam and spam!
Vikings (singing): Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.
Man: Well could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?
Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and
the Vikings drown her words)
Vikings (singing elaborately): Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful
spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam!
Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam
spam spam!
__

dja...@mirna.together.uvm.edu

<end downloaded document>

For more on spamming, check out alt.current-events.net-abuse and/or
news.admin.misc.

BTW, the Skinny Dip guy has already had his account removed.

Ken Miller
Resident Organologist
BHA Institute for Billions and Billions of Things
kcmi...@netcom.com

Thomas J Lee

May 24, 1994, 12:07:52 PM5/24/94
In an Internet sense, to "spam" means to post lots of messages that
have nothing to do with the newsgroups or mailing lists in question. The
green card people (and now the thigh cream person) spammed the Usenet --
their messages have nothing to do with the topics of the newsgroups they're
posting to.

I have heard that the term comes from some jokesters who would post
messages consisting of nothing but "spam spam spam spam ..." a la the Monty
Python Vikings.

Spam in the place where you live,
Tom Lee

Evelyn Duncan

May 24, 1994, 2:58:45 PM5/24/94
First of all, thanks to everyone. You're super!

Second, if anyone wants "thigh cream," there's a recipe in Organic
Gardening for grasshopper repellent that just might work as a thigh
cream. First, get a bunch of grasshoppers. Next, get a blender.
Put the grasshoppers and some water in the blender and blend.

Evelyn Duncan
Internet: r3...@vm1.cc.uakron.edu
Bitnet: R3EJD@AKRONVM

Keep circulating the tapes

Dan Lester

May 24, 1994, 1:45:00 PM5/24/94
On Tue, 24 May 1994 08:47:30 -0700 Catbird said:
>> What does 'spamming' mean? The unhip want to know.
>
>According to keen-eyed net.observer JMW, it is the practice of responding
>to unwanted mail by filling the offender's mailbox with reply mail as
>thoroughly as a can is filled with Spam.

Nope. Spamming is what the greencard assholes did, and todays
skinny thighcream folks..... hey, if they want thigh cream.....

cyclops

Bill Merrill

May 25, 1994, 12:10:38 PM5/25/94
>cream. First, get a bunch of grasshoppers. Next, get a blender.
>Put the grasshoppers and some water in the blender and blend.
>
>Evelyn Duncan

Pour over ice and serve with worm dip. Mmmmmm!

Bill Merrill

Elwood P. Dowd

May 24, 1994, 5:34:08 PM5/24/94
On Tue, 24 May 1994 16:07:52 GMT Thomas J Lee said:
> I have heard that the term comes from some jokesters who would post
>messages consisting of nothing but "spam spam spam spam ..." a la the Monty
>Python Vikings.
and last year posted a several-hundred line note to the Dyslexia list
consisting of "maps maps maps maps maps ..."

Catbird

May 24, 1994, 11:47:30 AM5/24/94
> What does 'spamming' mean? The unhip want to know.

According to keen-eyed net.observer JMW, it is the practice of responding
to unwanted mail by filling the offender's mailbox with reply mail as
thoroughly as a can is filled with Spam.

Carol

Kathy Bilton

May 25, 1994, 9:44:46 AM5/25/94

Since people have been discussing this particular substance, I thought
some might enjoy a menu entry from the menu of a newly opened cafe in my
town:
The C&O Canal Hiker
Thinly sliced Spam on three-day-old bread, served with
lightly congealed mayonnaise, textured with a pinch of sand,
and spiced with a whiff of mosquito-repellant. Resistible!
I asked the proprietor whether people ever actually ordered this sandwich - and
she said they did!! (Not that they actually serve it!)
--
Kathy Bilton an...@freenet.carleton.ca ue...@freenet.victoria.bc.ca
kbi...@cap.gwu.edu PO Box 886, Shepherdstown, WV 25443, USA

Dan Lester

May 24, 1994, 7:31:52 PM5/24/94

figures....

and when a part of our building where there was a big sign saying
'documents maps' was torn up for renovation, the consturction dudes
changed the letters to say 'documents spam' and they will stay that way
for a while til that area gets more work done.

cyclops

pwpa...@news.delphi.com

May 24, 1994, 7:20:05 PM5/24/94
Catbird <cat...@NETCOM.COM> writes:

spamming is the practice of sending a message to every newsgroup on
Earth. mailbombing is the practice of responding to or simply bombarding
someone's email inbox.

Mark Thomas

May 27, 1994, 11:41:29 PM5/27/94
New York Newsday, Monday:

"3.8 cans of spam are consumed every second."

John Hannum

May 30, 1994, 2:47:12 PM5/30/94
On Fri, 27 May 1994 23:41:29 -0400 Mark Thomas said:
>New York Newsday, Monday:
>
> "3.8 cans of spam are consumed every second."
you mean we've got little Mary out there grillin' chicken for Nothing?

Brad Grissom

May 30, 1994, 9:55:20 PM5/30/94
>> "3.8 cans of spam are consumed every second."
>you mean we've got little Mary out there grillin' chicken for Nothing?

Hey, Bub, there are times in this life when "Score and dot with
cloves, bake 20 mins at 350 degrees" is the kind of fail-safe
instruction one *needs*.

brad

Doris Smith

May 30, 1994, 11:51:55 PM5/30/94

> Hey, Bub, there are times in this life when "Score and dot with
> cloves, bake 20 mins at 350 degrees" is the kind of fail-safe
> instruction one *needs*.
>
> brad

I know you're being facetious, but this does bring back memories of early
married life when the budget was geared more toward a can of spam (Treet,
actually) dotted with cloves thatn to a ham dotted with cloves. It
wasn't all that bad, really, when eaten by candlelight. Sliced with a
piece of cheese melted on top made a nice lunch, too.
doris
thankful that those days are gone

Brad Grissom

May 30, 1994, 11:58:00 PM5/30/94
>I know you're being facetious, but this does bring back memories of early
>married life when the budget was geared more toward a can of spam (Treet,
>actually) dotted with cloves thatn to a ham dotted with cloves. It
>wasn't all that bad, really, when eaten by candlelight. Sliced with a
>piece of cheese melted on top made a nice lunch, too.

My first girlfriend made the most wonderful Spam-and-cheese
concoction. I ate it in utter adoration, with enraptured
obedience. I wish I had a slice or two right now. I surely do.

brad

Nancy Harwood

May 31, 1994, 1:10:08 AM5/31/94
> I know you're being facetious, but this does bring back memories of early
> married life when the budget was geared more toward a can of spam (Treet,
> actually) dotted with cloves thatn to a ham dotted with cloves. It
> wasn't all that bad, really, when eaten by candlelight. Sliced with a
> piece of cheese melted on top made a nice lunch, too.
> doris
> thankful that those days are gone

We ate an awful lot of fish sticks when Joe was in law school. So many,
in fact, that the mere mention of fish sticks makes my whole family turn
green....but they *were* cheap.
Nancy

Jim Thomas

May 31, 1994, 1:57:59 PM5/31/94
In article <WORDS-L%9405310...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>,
Brad Grissom <BGRI...@UKCC.UKY.EDU> wrote:

> My first girlfriend made the most wonderful Spam-and-cheese
> concoction. I ate it in utter adoration, with enraptured
> obedience. I wish I had a slice or two right now. I surely do.

Spam and grits aren't bad, either. Garnish with fruit, such as pineapple
or applesauce. And, some corn bread.

jt

Natalie Maynor

May 31, 1994, 6:54:06 AM5/31/94
An engineer I once knew introduced me to an excellent dish involving
spam and molasses. I think there was a third ingredient, but I can't
remember what it was.
--Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)

Jim Thomas

May 31, 1994, 2:07:04 PM5/31/94
Natalie Maynor <may...@RA.MSSTATE.EDU> wrote:
>An engineer I once knew introduced me to an excellent dish involving
>spam and molasses. I think there was a third ingredient, but I can't
>remember what it was.

Natalie, I think the third ingredient was Spam.

Jim (so aroused by the discussion that he bought a can of it) Thomas

Bandwidth Pig

May 31, 1994, 3:16:50 PM5/31/94
At 6:07 PM 5/31/94 +0000, Jim Thomas wrote:

>Jim (so aroused by the discussion that he bought a can of it) Thomas

Decisions, decisions. "Chocolates.....Spam.....Chocolates.....Spam....."

-abh

Adam Hartfield

May 31, 1994, 6:20:40 PM5/31/94

You mean they don't have chocolate-enrobed Spam nuggets where you
live, Anne? I'll ship you some...

--Adam/LH

Jim Thomas

May 31, 1994, 3:56:55 PM5/31/94
In article <1994053119...@netcom.com>,

Great idea!! You've obviously learned from Scottish cookbooks.....a
bar of cadbury's between two slices of spam would make a great spamwich.

And---for mixed grill--we could substitute bangers with spamgers??

Jim (Just spamming along with the breeze) Thomas

Bandwidth Pig

May 31, 1994, 9:53:47 PM5/31/94
On Tue, 31 May 1994, Adam Hartfield wrote:

> You mean they don't have chocolate-enrobed Spam nuggets where you

"Enrobed?"

-abh

Thomas J Lee

Jun 1, 1994, 9:40:28 AM6/1/94
The very concept of chocolates with Spam filling makes me queasy.
Maybe it's just early.

None for me, thanks,
Tom Lee

Adam Hartfield <AHAR...@DREW.DREW.EDU> wrote:

>You mean they don't have chocolate-enrobed Spam nuggets where you

Adam Hartfield

Jun 1, 1994, 5:25:45 PM6/1/94
In article <dufil...@drew.edu>, Bandwidth Pig <b...@NETCOM.COM> writes:
> "Enrobed?"
> -abh

Sounds much more snooty than covered, yes? It's used in those upscale
catalogs like Williams-Sonoma and Horchow...

--Adam/LH
today I feel very Bartholomew Cubbins-esque...

simm...@olympus.net

Jun 5, 1994, 6:25:29 AM6/5/94

Unless that third ingredient made up at least 99% of the dish, count me out!