z/196 and older Operating Systems

Tom Duerbusch

Dec 29, 2010, 11:13:37 AM12/29/10
Per the IBM documentation, the z/196 requires z/VSE 4.1 or above, z/VM 5.4 or above and Suse 10 or above.

Of course, as those products are the only supported products available.

So, did the z/196 break older operating systems? I don't care that the older ones can't use newer facilities. (The z boxes came with dual channel sets which "broke" unsupported OS versions until "migration" PTFs became available.

For example, at one site, I have z/VSE 3.1.0 running. We were planning on upgrading from a MP/3000 to a new box. My conversion process was to run z/VSE 3.1.0 on the new box in a LPAR, and bring up z/VSE 4.3 on another LPAR for conversion. The Business Partner is suggesting a z/10, but that was 4 months ago. I don't know if the z/196 was available at that time or not.

I believe that the z/10 isn't in new production, so a z/10 would be used. Hence we pay for shipping, installation, site prep, no warranty, etc. which isn't in the proposal from the Business Partner. I don't think we get a migration discount either, but would enjoy the pricing point for z/VSE 4.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting
(trying to keep from making a "crap" proposal <G>)

Kevin Corkery

Dec 29, 2010, 11:25:58 AM12/29/10
Both flavors of the z10 are still showing on the IBM z System home page so
that generally indicates availability as "new". In any case a z10-BC does
not have an equivalent z196 offering so I would assume that they would be
available until such time as the z196-BC is shipping.

Edward Jaffe

Dec 29, 2010, 11:45:43 AM12/29/10
On 12/29/2010 8:25 AM, Kevin Corkery wrote:
> Both flavors of the z10 are still showing on the IBM z System home page so
> that generally indicates availability as "new". In any case a z10-BC does
> not have an equivalent z196 offering so I would assume that they would be
> available until such time as the z196-BC is shipping.

It's interesting to think about what the "business class" machine will be
called. There is no z196-EC which makes a z196-BC highly unlikely.

The name z196 consists of z (System z) 1 (1st generation zEnterprise) 96 (96
"cores"). If the smaller machine supports only a single book identical to the
(up to) four in the z196, then it might be called z124.

Past machines have produced smaller books for the smaller machines. Perhaps z112
or z116 are likely.

Maybe we should establish a betting pool?

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc

Tom Duerbusch

Dec 29, 2010, 11:51:16 AM12/29/10
I didn't get the impression that the z/196 continued the EC/BC flavors....
But then again, that would make sense.

A z/10 would make things a little easier as it is a well known beast.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Kevin Corkery <kcor...@live.com> 12/29/2010 10:25 AM >>>

David Stuart

Dec 29, 2010, 11:52:59 AM12/29/10
Tom,

Where's your sense of adventure?

Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst
County of Ventura, CA
805-662-6731
David....@ventura.org>>> "Tom Duerbusch" <Duerb...@stlouiscity.com> 12/29/2010 8:50 AM >>>

Martin Trübner

Dec 29, 2010, 12:13:50 PM12/29/10
A z124 as the "z196-entry" makes sense....

Who is to collect the money for betting?

--
Martin

Pi_cap_CPU - all you ever need around MWLC/SCRT/CMT in z/VSE
more at http://www.picapcpu.de

Edward Jaffe

Dec 29, 2010, 12:24:33 PM12/29/10
On 12/29/2010 9:13 AM, Martin Tr bner wrote:
> A z124 as the "z196-entry" makes sense....
>
> Who is to collect the money for betting?

Probably not a popular choice, but I'm going with z112.

I think YOU should hold the money. But, be sure to convert any USD to Euros
while holding and then back to USD at payout time. Citigroup is predicting an
11% decline of USD against the Euro for 2011. You can be a hedge against
inflation for your American friends. :-)

mick poil

Dec 29, 2010, 12:36:03 PM12/29/10
z/VSE 3.1 should run on a z10, that is, I know of a company who was
running on it under z/VM 5.4. It is a z10 Z02 and it really flies -
well over 600 MIPs per processor. I am not into pricing or hardware
acquisitions any more, but I believe that there were discounts on new
z10s (and MWLC on z/VSE 4), and I would think that new z10s are still
available. I can ask the right VSE people if you want me too.

Like others, I did have to apply MSHP zaps to get older VSEs to run on
an in-house z990, VSE/ESA refused to IPL even under z/VM. VSE
development would not tell me what the patches were doing (shame!).

Don't get too many cpus for VSE to use, especially if you use MRO/ISC
with CICS. 1 is best, 2 if you really need it. Ask me privately if you
want to know why.

Mike

Tony Thigpen

Dec 29, 2010, 12:42:34 PM12/29/10
Just send the money to me. :-)

Tony Thigpen

mick poil

Dec 30, 2010, 4:15:48 AM12/30/10
I believe that if you contact VSE support about using a z196 with a
release prior to z/VSE 4.1 you will get a pleasant surprise.

Mike