NAUI Name Changes

Diane Williams

Mar 20, 1995, 9:27:47 PM3/20/95
I guess there are a number of people out there that feel the same way I
did when I heard NAUI was changing OWI to SCUBA Diver, OWII to Advanced
and Advanced to Master Diver. After attending the pre-DEMA Mid-Pacific
Branch Conference, I understand why it was done. Bret Gillam said that
The PADI names were the ones that most people in the industry were
familiar with and that the NAUI ones were being compared to those. That
made a NAUI Advanced Diver likened to a PADI Advanced Diver who was
actually equivalent (in terms of skills and experience) to a NAUI OWII.
Obviously that is a disservice to the NAUI Advanced rating. So the
change actually put NAUIs certifications into a more realistic system.
The transition is a pain but my OWII students were happy to get
Advanced cards at the end of their class.

Colette

Walter Ruppert

Mar 20, 1995, 4:03:56 PM3/20/95
So, what if you have an old 'Advanced' card ? Do we get new 'master' cards ?
What about the master scuba course ? I've heard it's not continued any
more. Is this true ?
Walter, NAUI Adv(old), (PADI DM#913278)

Diane Williams

Mar 22, 1995, 7:10:15 PM3/22/95

You can get a Master card if you want but you will be charged a fee. As
I understand it, the Master Diver program still exists though I am not
sure what it is called now. It was the certification awarded least often.

Colette #13562

Lee Bell

Mar 24, 1995, 12:14:24 PM3/24/95
You think you have a problem? My 1979 NAUI card says I'm certifid for SCUBA.
When I certified, there were only three choices, Snorkel, SCUBA and
instructor.

--

Lee Bell
a021...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us