Ibid. and `, and other diacritical disasters

John S. Buchanan

Mar 21, 1993, 12:38:34 PM3/21/93

John Berg writes:

>This is probably old hat to many of you, but I hope someone has a
solution.
>This morning I entere some works by Michel `Aflaq into Ibid., which
>worked fine--but I find that I cannot retrieve them by author.
>Either "`Aflaq" or "Aflaq" retrieves nothing. The entries are there
>all right, and are retrieved properly by the first word in the title.
>I could, of course, store them as "Aflaq", but would then have to correct
>any bibliographies generated. Has anyone found a better way?

John,

I too have had problems retrieving Ibid entries in which the author's name
contains certain diacritical marks (among them: umlaut o; hacheck s, c, z;
the Polish "l"). There also seems to be a problem with retrieving
single-name authors (Herodotus), authors whose names are hyphenated,
entries for which the name is purported (to be couched according to Ibid
format in "[ ]").

I brought this problem to the attention of NBI way back in November and
repeatedly since then, as I've received no response in the meantime. I
even sent them at their request a detailed explanation of the problems and
several of those problematic Ibid entries I couldn't get either "Look Up"
or "Search" to find by name.

Now that they've finally nested down in Maryland, Tech Support sent the
Beta Version Update on to me that was not only supposed to clear up these
problems but also those of Orbis. Orbis works fine, but Ibid continues to
play its old tricks on me.

Sorry I can't offer any tangible help. I just wanted to tack on my own
litany of Ibid problems to your note, in the event there is anyone out
there who can see a pattern for correcting the problem that neither I nor
apparently NBI can.

Cheers!

John
7122...@compuserve.com