Jimmy Wales leads drive to remove porn from Wikimedia Commons

EDTECH Editor-Jones

May 8, 2010, 7:58:07 AM5/8/10
From: Larry Sanger <sanger...@citizendium.org>

The latest development is that Jimmy Wales is leading the drive to remove
porn from Wikimedia Commons. So, it appears, at least *he* acknowledges
terrific (maybe not the right word) amounts of the stuff on Wikimedia
Commons. Not a small amount of it on Wikipedia, too, I'd like to point out.
Here's some of the coverage:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/05/07/wikipedia-purges-porn/

http://slashdot.org/story/10/05/07/0455238/Wales-Supports-Purging-Porn-From-
Wikipedia

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikimedia_founder_Jimbo_Wales_moves_to_purge_por
nography_from_Commons?dpl_id=180848

We also have the following mealy-mouthed, cryptic statement from the
Wikimedia Foundation, which does not necessarily seem to be supporting Jimmy
Wales 100%:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaannounce-l/2010-May/000008.htm

Of course, it all began here. The following catches you up, all the way to
the most recent events:

http://www.larrysanger.org/MoreAboutWikimedia.html

And just for fun, here's "How I started Wikipedia" which I delivered
yesterday at OSU and uploaded today--maybe I should have titled it, "How I
helped create this mess":

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9mRKFy5fU

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqb-DhgkTTI

--Larry

---
Edtech Archives, posting guidelines and other information are at:
http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~edweb
Please include your name, email address, and school or professional
affiliation in each posting.
SIGNOFF EDTECH