Tutors

Kathryn Maher

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98

<< Anyone aware of any States where the Vocational Rehab people will pay for
those fluent in sign language to tutor deaf who are signing impaired? >>

My counselor approved payments to my sign interpreter to tutor me in sign
language so I could take the test rather than the course (sign language is my
foreign language requirement at the University of North Texas)...this was
Texas Rehabilitation Commission...Kathryn

Charlotte Bradshaw

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
In a message dated 7/25/98 2:40:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rcec...@umich.edu writes:

> Anyone aware of any States where the Vocational Rehab people will pay for
> those fluent in sign language to tutor deaf who are signing impaired?

I believe Michigan

Gary B

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
I am not sure I understand your question. Signing impaired? what is the
impediment? I think in many states it's negotiated out between the academic
institution and Rehab I am wondering what or why this would be any
different than getting a qualified interpreter and Tudor or
Tudor/interpreter. I think that the accommodation needs to be specific to
the course and the needs to be done to achieve access. I Iowa Rehab. could
and has provided combinations of accommodation.

Richard Clark Eckert

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
Signing impaired is a term used to describe those profoundly deaf who are
either without signing skills or not very far advanced in them. While an
educational insitution such as the Univerisity of Michigan offers
wonderful accomodations dependinding on the needs of each student
what happnes to the profoundly deaf student when they get finsihed
the doctoral studies? Not to mention there are many instances
where CAR and noteakers simply are not practical. Sign language
would give both the deaf individual and potential emplpoyers more
options. Without the options the ADA is empty anyway.

Richard C. Eckert

Richard Clark Eckert

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Kathryn Maher wrote:

> << what happnes to the profoundly deaf student when they get finsihed
> the doctoral studies? Not to mention there are many instances
> where CAR and noteakers simply are not practical. >>

> You do understand that reasonable accommodation in places of employment
> include interpreters...even oral/sign interpreters...which I am counting
> on...Kathryn

Exactly - which is why I will probably be asking for total communication
tutoring. It will certainly help in current situation. Not to mention
going to doctors - ask a doctor to supply an interpreter when my signing
surely needs lots of tutoring - not sure that would be reasonable. Have
an interpreter at an interview and me not follow questions on a number of
occassions - boy thay will keep the wallet empty. Not to mention
conferences. Some I've asked for CART - no problem. Others want to
provide an interpreter. Well that would be great AFTER the tutoring. Not
complaining by the way. Simply investigating options before seeing the
rehab man.

Richard

Kathryn Maher

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98