Pure64 Source?

Masquerade

Feb 20, 2010, 2:27:41 AM2/20/10
to BareMetal OS
Why do you keep the Pure64 source code closed? It's a bit hopeless to
do any serious development on BareMetal when it's closed, since you
can't move or rename the kernel, add support and boot from other FS
than FAT etc.

The BareMetal source is nicely commented and rather easy to understand
even for an ASM noob like me. I'm interested in developing support for
various file systems and test out some thoughts i have, and the
BareMetal kernel seems like a good testing platform it Pure64 also
where open source.

Ian

Feb 22, 2010, 3:29:42 PM2/22/10
to BareMetal OS
Several people have asked about the source code for Pure64 but
unfortunately currently it is not available. At some point in the
future it will most likely be open source but at this point we are not
ready to do so.

Pure64 was developed to give programmers an "easy" way into 64-bit
mode. Pure64 also builds an information table in memory about the
characteristics of the machine it boots on. This information can then
be used by the software it loads (Currently limited to a file named
kernel64.sys). As for the file name, this will change in the next
version. A config file (called pure64.cfg) will be loaded and parsed
by Pure64 to get details on what software to load (and where to load
it) as well as a few other options (for example not starting the other
CPUs in the system).

What "support" are you referring to? What other file systems are you
interested in (FAT32, EXT3/4, ISO9660, etc)? Feedback is appreciated
since it helps to guide further development.

Thanks,
-Ian

Masquerade

Feb 23, 2010, 1:03:35 AM2/23/10
to BareMetal OS
Great to hear that newer versions of Pure64 will be more configurable
when it comes to kernel naming and position etc.

When it comes to file systems at are of interest for me, BFS (BeOS,
Haiku, etc) are probably the top ranking one as a long time BeOS user.
Even though FAT32, NTFS and the EXT series of file systems surely are
of interest also. (http://www.haiku-os.org/documents) Can find the
book "Practical File System Design with the Be File System" here.

Ian

Mar 9, 2010, 1:43:34 PM3/9/10
to BareMetal OS
I'm a longtime BeOS user as well. In fact I'm glad the Haiku project
is still moving along quite well.

FAT32 support will probably be the first to be added (it is very
similar to FAT16).

-Ian