Bicycle the fastest vehicle in Bangalore -PROOF - RACE Telecast on SAMAYA TV @7:30PM

murali hr

Jan 20, 2012, 12:56:05 AM1/20/12
to Bangalore Bikers Club, hasiru usiru
Dear friends,

Iam very happy to share the program that RACF did with the SAMAYA TV to prove that bicycle is the fastest vehicle in Bangalore.
Actually it was a challenge from two wheeler and car drivers.

So the TV channel decided to organize a RACE between a cyclist (myself), a Car driver, a two wheeler riding a expensive bike.
The distance was around 12Km in the center of the city.

It was real fun doing this program with six camera men running behind a cyclist and showing the speed of the bicycle.

Do not miss it !

Details

Bicycle

Car

Bike

Timings

25Mins

45Mins

35Mins

Consumption

4 Idlis

1 liter diesel

½ liter petrol

Mental Level

Joyful at the beginning and also at the end.

Stressful at the beginning and at the end.

Panicky in the junctions, stressful throughout the journey.

Regards,
Murali

Mayank Rungta

Jan 20, 2012, 1:14:39 AM1/20/12
to murali hr, BBC, hasiruusiru

Awesome stuff. Please share an online video if possible. Would be great to use local stuff!:)

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

Abhishek Mishra

Jan 20, 2012, 1:25:12 AM1/20/12
to Mayank Rungta, murali hr, hasiruusiru, BBC

Thats fantastic!! and Congrats to all us cyclists :D

Yateesh Kumar

Jan 20, 2012, 1:29:18 AM1/20/12
to murali hr, Bangalore Bikers Club, hasiru usiru
Hi Murali,

This is too good. With such proofs You can take things to different levels.
Pls let us know the show timngs on Samaya tv. eager to watch it now

Thanks
Yateesh

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

--

Best Regards
Yateesh

srinath

Jan 20, 2012, 1:33:15 AM1/20/12
to sumathy nagendra, murali hr, Bangalore Bikers Club, hasiru usiru
hi all,
    the time is in the subject line. i assume the telcast is today.

Jan 20, 2012, 1:42:46 AM1/20/12
to sumathy nagendra, Bangalore Bikers Club, hasiru usiru
It is a full fun episode with lot of insights into cycling !
Iam having tender coconut and talking about local economics
Time : Today @ 7:30Pm samaya TV news channel.

murali

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM, sumathy nagendra <bhumik...@gmail.com> wrote:
What time is it going to be telecast?lets publicise.....

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM, murali hr <murali...@gmail.com> wrote:
__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

--
Sumathy Nagendra
98866 53376

SP

Jan 20, 2012, 1:52:55 AM1/20/12
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I hope it will get some eyeballs, and open them eyes. A you tube video
would be very useful to circulate.

-SP

On Jan 20, 11:42 am, murali hr <muralihr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is a full fun episode with lot of insights into cycling !
> Iam having tender coconut and talking about local economics
> *Time : Today @ 7:30Pm samaya TV news channel.
>
> murali*
>
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM, sumathy nagendra
> <bhumikame...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > What time is it going to be telecast?lets publicise.....
>
> > On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM, murali hr <muralihr1...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> **
> >>   Reply to sender<muralihr1...@gmail.com?subject=Re%3A%20Bicycle%20the%20fastest%20vehicle%20in%20Bangalore%20-PROOF%20-%20RACE%20Telecast%20on%20SAMAYA%20TV%20%407%3A30PM>| Reply
> >> to group<HasiruUs...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Bicycle%20the%20fastest%20vehicle%20in%20Bangalore%20-PROOF%20-%20RACE%20Telecast%20on%20SAMAYA%20TV%20%407%3A30PM>| Reply
> >> 1)
> >>  Recent Activity:

> >> Switch to: Text-Only<HasiruUsiru-traditio...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
> >> Daily Digest<HasiruUsiru-dig...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>•
> >> of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
> >>    .
>
> >> __,_._,___
>
> > --
> > Sumathy Nagendra
> > 98866 53376
>
> > *Bhumika Media represents:*

S o h a n

Jan 20, 2012, 4:03:21 AM1/20/12
to murali...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
Good one

Please share the video/link, as I don't watch TV

Cheers

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

--
Cheers
§ • h ª n

R ì Ð é   † h ê   ß ï k €

Mayank Rungta

Jan 20, 2012, 4:09:22 AM1/20/12
to murali hr, Bangalore Bikers Club, hasiru usiru
Bicycle the fastest vehicle in Bangalore -PROOF - RACE Telecast on SAMAYA TV @7:30PM -  http://goo.gl/S7QW7

Shared and awaiting a video url after the telecast! :) Great work Murali!!!
--
MAnY thANKs
http://ngopost.org

http://www.ngopost.org/story/support-puttenahalli-lake-through-your-vote-0
 o__
 _> /__
(_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier lyfe and cleaner world! :)
            Join the club - http://bangalorebikersclub.com

nilesh dhumal

Jan 20, 2012, 4:55:07 AM1/20/12
to Mayank Rungta, murali hr, Bangalore Bikers Club, hasiru usiru
this is awesome !!!

bikerider

Jan 20, 2012, 5:24:48 AM1/20/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Bangalore Bikers Club, hasiru usiru
Way to go! did anyone record it?

Regards.

murali hr

Jan 20, 2012, 5:29:54 AM1/20/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, hasiru usiru
Some one can record it ? Generally they have a policy of not sharing the videos with outsiders !

thanks in advance
murali

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM, bikerider <punit.su...@gmail.com> wrote:
Way to go! did anyone record it?

Regards.

Mayank Rungta

muralika...@yahoo.com

Jan 20, 2012, 6:00:44 AM1/20/12
to Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr, hasiru usiru
We should request for a link and post on the wall as well !!
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from !DEA

From: Mayank Rungta <mr....@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:01:38 +0530
To: murali hr<murali...@gmail.com>

mudeg...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2012, 1:21:27 AM1/20/12
to Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr, hasiruusiru
Good one, would be interesting to add bus and metro (including the walk from the station to final destination).

Looking forward for the telecast today.

Regards,
Vinay
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Mayank Rungta <mr....@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:44:39 +0530
To: murali hr<murali...@gmail.com>

muralika...@yahoo.com

Jan 21, 2012, 10:20:45 AM1/21/12
to mudeg...@gmail.com, Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr, hasiruusiru
I am Watching now.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from !DEA

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:21:27 +0000
Cc: hasiruusiru<hasir...@yahoogroups.com>

Murali Katta

Jan 21, 2012, 10:31:41 AM1/21/12
to muralika...@yahoo.com, mudeg...@gmail.com, Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr, hasiruusiru
Congratulations Murali for winning the race. U made me watch the first ever Kannada program " nan first a neenu first a". Made my wife and daughter to sit and watch. All of us really enjoyed. Hope, this program inspires many more and more n more cyclists on the road!

Sent from my iPad

vijay _ A

Jan 21, 2012, 11:11:47 AM1/21/12
to mudeg...@gmail.com, Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr, hasiruusiru
Good one murali,

Got my parents to watch the show too... It was a cool one

with regards
Vijay
"Stress is better than Frustration..!!"

krishna kumar

Jan 22, 2012, 12:32:29 AM1/22/12
to vijay _ A, mudeg...@gmail.com, Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr, hasiruusiru
if anyone record the telecast plz share it. i miss the program....!!!

" BURN YOUR FAT NOT FUEL....!!! "

With Regards,
Krishna
+919611905879

Rohan Kini

Jan 23, 2012, 1:04:47 PM1/23/12
to krishna kumar, vijay _ A, mudeg...@gmail.com, Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr, hasiruusiru
Awesome Murali. Please do share the video.

Not sure if folks saw another similar writeup on Bangalore Mirror (on Sunday)
Thought someone would post up as I was too lazy :)

Anyways here it is! A pdf extract of the online version.
BGMIR_2012_1_22_2.pdf

S Chidambaran

Jan 23, 2012, 11:00:36 PM1/23/12
to Darshan Bildikar, Rohan Kini, krishna kumar, vijay _ A, mudeg...@gmail.com, Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr, hasiruusiru
That's great info.� Can I share it on� other fora?

Its important since you have cycled for just 2 months and have felt the difference. Was it tough initially.One of the problems that I face when I tell people about our cycling experiences wrt to ease of commute , the refrain is that "You are used to it, since you cycle a lot". Difficult for them to believe that it will make a big difference to them in a short while. Talking about the real experience of someone who has recently taken it up helps.

Regards
Chiddu

On 01/24/2012 09:25 AM, Darshan Bildikar wrote:
�

This is great!!

BTW, I have been cycling to office daily for the past two months. It's definitely faster than a bus (1.25 hours), bike (1 hour), car (1.25 hours); assuming peak traffic. I reach exactly in 40-45 minutes (irrespective of what the traffic is like) covering a distance of 15 KM one way.�

Every argument that I had against it has come to nought.�

1) Too far
2) Not fit enough
3) Too much pollution
4) Will take too much time

I am now in the process of evangelizing this in my team and have already converted two other people. Hopefully more will follow :)

Darshan

On Jan 23, 2012, at 11:34 PM, Rohan Kini wrote:

�

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Yahoo! Groups
.

__,_._,___

S Chidambaran

Jan 24, 2012, 7:43:13 AM1/24/12
to Darshan Bildikar, Rohan Kini, krishna kumar, vijay _ A, mudeg...@gmail.com, Mayank Rungta, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, murali hr
http://chiddu2k.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/newbie-cyclist-and-commute-ease/

I've linked this thread in the blog, so guess we have an infinite loop of sorts.

Regards
Chiddu

On 01/24/2012 10:01 AM, Darshan Bildikar wrote:
Absolutely, please share

I also have absolutely no shame in admitting the following; if it can get more people cycling.

1) I was hardly the model of fitness when I started out. I was at least 10-12 KG overweight
2) I was not leading a healthy lifestyle at all. I hadn't exercised for the past 3 years
3) It was difficult initially for the first week or so but it got far easier after that.�

The *only* caveat is that you need to invest in a cycle that's easy to ride.�

Darshan

Sunil Raghavan

Jan 25, 2012, 3:11:40 AM1/25/12
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Havent seen the TV program, but read this article. Cycling needs all
the advocacy it can get, I felt it was a good read. However, I thought
it was perhaps incomplete so here's another angle - as much as I love
cycling, I cant help noting that this guy is using some of the busiest
roads of Bangalore and doesn't have the benefit of many back roads or
separate cycle lanes. The "race" was in peak traffic... With my own
fairly limited cycling in traffic, I've already had my share of
scrapes and close shaves. So while it may be the fastest commute, I
suspect unfortunately it is'nt always the safest.

It's his life, he's made his bold choice, I respect that - but I
wouldn't be making that choice till we have safer roads. That's the
part I wish the article had covered as well.

Sunil

On Jan 23, 11:04 pm, Rohan Kini <rohan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome Murali. Please do share the video.
>
> Not sure if folks saw another similar writeup on Bangalore Mirror (on
> Sunday)
> Thought someone would post up as I was too lazy :)
>
> Anyways here it is! A pdf extract of the online version.
>
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM, krishna kumar <krishnacool...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > if anyone record the telecast plz share it. i miss the program....!!!
>

>  BGMIR_2012_1_22_2.pdf
> 1126KViewDownload

Mayank Rungta

Jan 25, 2012, 3:24:16 AM1/25/12
to Sunil Raghavan, Bangalore Bikers Club
If you are comparing cycling vs motorcycle you should realize that
mistake on the latter might cost you your life. There haven't been
fatalities on cycle for a couple of reasons - your speed isn't very high
so impact is much lesser while a motor bike even on a low speed can take
you down with it. I don't have latest stats but they will be interesting
to look in terms of number of users and accidents.

As for cars - it is simple if you look at individual level you might
feel safer in a car but if everybody started driving cars the number of
accidents only increases - scraping and all such happen but more to the
car! :))

--
http://www.ngopost.org/story/support-puttenahalli-lake-through-your-vote-0
o__
_> /__
(_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier lyfe and cleaner world! :)
Join the club - http://bangalorebikersclub.com

Vinay

Jan 25, 2012, 4:28:51 AM1/25/12
to Mayank Rungta, Sunil Raghavan, Bangalore Bikers Club
hi there

Cycle is definitely faster on the Road.

I commute from Rajajinagar to Domlur with following times:

Cycle: 50 mins
Motorcycle: 50 min
Car: 80 mins

With Cycle, there are the following overheads ..
1. Shower in office / Shower at home: total: 20 mins overhead.
2. Pack clothes for commute: 5 mins.

Regards
Vinay

S Chidambaran

Jan 25, 2012, 4:31:19 AM1/25/12
On 01/25/2012 02:58 PM, Vinay wrote:
> hi there
>
> Cycle is definitely faster on the Road.
>
> I commute from Rajajinagar to Domlur with following times:
>
> Cycle: 50 mins
> Motorcycle: 50 min
> Car: 80 mins
>
> With Cycle, there are the following overheads ..
> 1. Shower in office / Shower at home: total: 20 mins overhead.
As Ashwatha earlier pointed out, non-cyclists generally need to take a
shower too. They just don't include it in the commute time

Sunil Raghavan

Jan 25, 2012, 5:58:09 AM1/25/12
to Mayank Rungta, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Mayank,

Valid points, about motorbikes... - I guess risks for people using cars and cycles are quite assymetric - car brushing against cycle gets just a scratch or dent, driver unaffected - but the biker can be left lying on the road.

Good reasons to have separate cycle lanes after all.

Sunil
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Jan 25, 2012, 6:21:57 AM1/25/12
to raghava...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
Lanes in a city where nobody follows lane discipline? :)

I did mention increased number of cars is not helping either. Now the
deal is to get a collective inclination towards bike and we are working
towards that by getting as many bums on the saddle as possible! :))

--

On Wednesday 25 January 2012 04:28 PM, Sunil Raghavan wrote:
> Hi Mayank,
>
> Valid points, about motorbikes... - I guess risks for people using cars and cycles are quite assymetric - car brushing against cycle gets just a scratch or dent, driver unaffected - but the biker can be left lying on the road.
>
> Good reasons to have separate cycle lanes after all.
>
> Sunil

> Sent from BlackBerry� on Airtel

S Chidambaran

Jan 25, 2012, 6:31:59 AM1/25/12
to Mayank Rungta, raghava...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
None of us know when the cycling lanes will become real. If we have
enough cyclists on the road, and if we are prepared to assert our
rights, the administration will follow. Yes , you are exposed in a
cycle, but so are you as a pedestrian. Does that mean we stop walking?
If you are comfortable going on your car, then please go ahead, but you
should realize that that would mean even more cars on the road.

OTOH, on most city roads, you generally tend to be cycling in the same
speed as a car. One rule I always follow is to leave 3/4th to 1 foot of
space between me and the footpath. This way if somebody side-brushes me,
I have time and space to recover or if someone tries to push me off, I
have some leverage.

In smoothly flowing traffic , the risk of an angry or impatient driver
hitting you is less. On very slow speeds , its generally low impact.

Regards
Chiddu

muralika...@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2012, 10:54:18 AM1/25/12
to S Chidambaran, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Mayank Rungta, raghava...@gmail.com
By Wearing the helmet fellow riders / drivers respect / give way, I don't know why but I have experienced and couple of bikers also shared the same experience.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from !DEA

Jan 26, 2012, 11:51:46 PM1/26/12
to Bangalore Bikers Club
+1 to the article on speed. There are several reasons why I use the
cycle to commute. However, a major reason why people simply do not get
it is the perception associated with cycling. To put it in a more
cheesy manner:

You go on a cycle. Yes!!! I said.
They never understood.
It is fun, I said.
They never understood.
It is fast, I said.
They never understood.
It is healthy, I said.
They never understood.
It is cheap, I said.
They never understood.
It is green, I said.
They never understood.

One day, the bread-man on a Luna, shouted at the coconut vendor on a
cycle.
Then I understood, why they never understood.

Murali: +1 about the helmet. But what disturbs me is exactly this -
why does my helmet and gear give me more acceptance than the narial-
paani waala, or the security guard, or the numerous other folks who
cannot afford any means of transport other than cycles? Why this
kolaveri with walking/cycling, and in general with not being "rich"?

-SP